BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 02:15 AM   #1
artaid

Exclamation Nextel 7520 For Mac Users

Please Login to Remove!

A generous friend picked up a beautiful 7520 with an unlimited NEXTEL service plan. How nice...It works wonderfully for sending and receiving email. However that's the end of the good news.

I cannot use it in any form in combination with my Macintosh laptop as supplied. I am aware of the 3rd party PocketMac software for synching up...but I have had no success in using the 7520 as a wireless modem for getting online with my Mac. Also, I cannot really browse internet sites, as the phone does not seem to see HTML. I am told this is a limitation of the carrier, Nextel, although I am getting the $100 unlimited wireless internet plan. Tech support says it only supports WAP browsing...but I cannot believe this!

Any one with similar experience, solutions?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:17 AM   #2
artaid

Unhappy And Bluetooth?

On the 7520 Bluetooth seems to be limited to just the headset...how can that be?

I am not clueless..but I am not having fun...I expected more.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:34 AM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

most, if not all of your questions could be found by simply searching these forums...

1) There is no modem driver for the mac, thus you will not be able to connect and use it. part of using the handset as a modem is dependent on the software provided by RIM for windows OS. short of telling you to either contact RIM and try to show there is interest in these from the mac community and/or yourself purchasing a PC w/ Windows, there are no options for doing what you want in that realm.

2) HTML for Nextel is rumored to be enabled on April 1. Again, you could simply search for HTML and Nextel and find atleast two topics on the delivery date of the functionality in the last few days (and countless other topics with people *****ing about the current non-advertised functionality loss).

3) And once again, the bluetooth is a crippled version due to security issues with the technology (basically, it has no security). Since RIM's largest customer is the US Government, they have a rather large influence as to what is and isn't added to the handhelds' functionality. Crippling bluetooth's functionality to be limited to headsets and potentially keyboards (future) was one of these side effects. The BlackBerry handset, especially the model you have and other models of the same form factor, were designed for business use and business customers with security as one of the top priorities. Unfortunately, the handheld became a fad in the consumer market, and people approach it as it were a nifty toy rather than an extension of their computer with strict corporate security measures built-in.

Lastly, try to start using the search function (which is located at the top of all pages on this website). More than likely, your simple questions (such as the ones you've asked here) have already been answered multiple times.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
3) And once again, the bluetooth is a crippled version due to security issues with the technology (basically, it has no security). Since RIM's largest customer is the US Government, they have a rather large influence as to what is and isn't added to the handhelds' functionality. Crippling bluetooth's functionality to be limited to headsets and potentially keyboards (future) was one of these side effects. The BlackBerry handset, especially the model you have and other models of the same form factor, were designed for business use and business customers with security as one of the top priorities. Unfortunately, the handheld became a fad in the consumer market, and people approach it as it were a nifty toy rather than an extension of their computer with strict corporate security measures built-in.
I wish people wouldn't make blanket statements like "Bluetooth has no security," because it really isn't true. There are plenty of corporate users that use Bluetooth on a regular basis, look no further than the Sony Ericsson P900 series or Nokia Communicators for evidence of this.

What it really comes down to is that people are convinced, too easily, that Bluetooth isn't something they want, for no other reason than fear.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
PingGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

In addition to what has been said, nobody has reported being able to use a 7520 as a modem for a laptop even with Windows. It may be possible but it hasn't been figured out yet.

Previous: Nextel BB7520 w/ Plantronics Discovery 640
Closed Thread