BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers
Default What would you change about the site?

Please Login to Remove!

We are going to be implementing a BBF 2.0 in the coming future and are looking for suggestions and changes that you would make to the site to improve anything you may think of.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Default Re: What would you change about the site?

I know you really can't control this, but the trolls need to go!
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
I know you really can't control this, but the trolls need to go!
LOL URITE.

My suggestion would be to streamline the subforums by eliminating low traffic ones, closing ones for old devices to new posts, etc. I'll do some more analysis and get with you privately.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

A new user should have to fill out his profile correctly, so the BlackBerry model matches a known carrier's offerings. If some tosser tries to put "student" in his profile he's either:

1. A dirty dirty spammer.
2. Too stupid to use a phone.

#2 might sound elitist, but stupid people are an epidemic. If they cannot properly phrase a question or try to use text-speak, screw em. Ban their IP Address and show them the door. I don't even care if they don't understand why they're being banned. Just screw 'em and block their text-speaking butts forever. No explanation, no warning, just GONE.

I'm equally intolerant of non-english speaking toads. I can't figure out if they're really stupid or just can't write in English. Find a site that's based on your own language, or learn ours. Fuzzy little foreigners!

Last edited by rambo47; 07-25-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Old 07-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I'm equally intolerant of non-english speaking toads. I can't figure out if they're really stupid or just can't write in English. Find a site that's based on your own language, or learn ours. Fuzzy little foreigners!
Dude, WTF?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
jsconyers

I have to agree with Penguin here.

RIM has been selling BlackBerrys to non-English speaking countries for a while now and the sales have been good for them. So, the new BB users probably do a Google search and this site is the first they come to, so they do their best to ask their questions, either with what little English they do know, or using an online translator.

The internet is a little bigger than America.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

I think Rambo was referring to Canadians.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I think Rambo was referring to Canadians.
Well, if that's the case, then I completely agree with him.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
Tom
Admin & Founder

Woah. wow this thread got out of hand fast haha!

DC/DC feel free to analyze and send suggestions via PM or Email. That applies to anyone else as well. Thanks guys.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Sorry 'bout that. I just got off the phone with tech support for a friend's computer and I had a head of steam from trying to understand some robot in a faraway land. Perhaps banning/deleting accounts of non-english speakers was a bit harsh. But the prerequisite to properly fill out a profile might ensure a minimum level of proficiency in the native language of this site.

Perhaps a sub-forum for non-English help would be possible. Or not. Please feel free to ignore or delete my suggestions.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Holy crap! You're just digging yourself into a even bigger hole with this blatant racism. There's no need to segregate non-English speaking people from the rest of the forum.
If you have a hard time understanding people whose primary language is not English... then move on and ignore those posts. There's people far more tolerant than you who are willing to help.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
Tom
Admin & Founder

I think Rambo may have been having a bad day and we didn't take to this attempt at humor.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Did a crazy virus breakout occur while I was away, or what?

As far as "upgrades" please keep the design simple and easy on the eyes, which is one of the things I have always appreciated about it.

I tend to think the site is overwhelming for newbies, but I don't have a clue what to do about it.

It's been so long since I registered that I don't remember what if anything I was asked to read about forum rules and etiquette. Is there anything now? Might be a good idea, at least for those who do read it.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Tom
Admin & Founder

I would really be curious what can be done to improve and prevent it from being overwhelming for new users. Any ideas/thoughts appreciated.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
jmwking
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

OK, it got longer than I expected, but you asked:

You have quite a vibrant community here. I don't think it needs too much work - more evolution than revolution.

The first questions I'd ask are: What percentage of threads are started by new users (or users with fewer than 10 posts)? How many members return after those first posts? What percentage of hits are from unregistered users? I suspect the board has a very high percentage of very temporary members or researchers. The design should cater to them, not the folks who'll be here regardless, and can navigate without giving it a moment's thought (or can after a brief adjustment to any changes).

A quick look at the roster seems to show that of almost 550,000 registered users, about 400,000 have never posted; 20,000 users have 10 posts; 2,000 users have 100 posts; and 200 users have 1000 posts. OK, and a dozen members (presumably with carpel tunnel) have 10,000+ posts.

From a tech perspective, I generally like vBulletin (I use vB for my board), and your mobile skin addition was welcome - especially with read thread marking consistent between the styles and browsers. Allowing the user to choose styles would be nice, rather than having the system choose for you. No accounting for taste. I have a couple visually impaired members using the mobile style on their computers - much larger and easier for them to read. Any change to the look and feel will, of course, be disruptive to the experienced members, but they will adapt to the new norm.

Looking at content, I personally find there are too many stickied threads, and all over the place. No more than two or three stickied threads per board would be my goal, and only sticky them on the first page. Do we really need a stickied poll on blackberry loyalty or devices supporting OS 5? Perhaps a read-only board with proven useful stickies (not quite an FAQ), well edited for consistent layout and language, with a welcoming title, placed at or near the top of the forum list for new users to easily find. Alas, as far as I can tell most people won't read stickies, though, but would rather post the same question for the umpteenth time.

I'm torn between too many boards and keeping topics apart. Some boards haven't been posted to in weeks or months - are they really needed? Is a board dedicated "to the upcoming BlackBerry Operating System 6.0" still needed? Blackberry on Non-RIM hardware? And the "general" and "help" boards have way too much overlap and no clear differentiation. Many topics get put into them that should rightfully be in one of the more narrowly focused boards. If there's going to be a fine sifting of board topics, the messages should be reflected in them. Much more aggressively moving threads would keep the other boards more active, too.

From a community management perspective, an effort to tone down the snark and accusatory tone from some of the more experienced members might be helpful. Obviously the board is not here to help support stolen devices, crack software, or abet spying. Those issues do come up routinely, and get tiresome to address over and over- but they could be handled with a bit more tact. Perhaps a top sticky on the primary board (currently "general") with posting guidelines to remind people what the BBF is about, and what constitutes appropriate topics. And while it's funny for the regulars, there really shouldn't be an opportunity to kick back with popcorn.

-jk
Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 AM   #16
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I would really be curious what can be done to improve and prevent it from being overwhelming for new users. Any ideas/thoughts appreciated.
I'm not sure it is this site, but forums like this in general, when you first use one.

I honestly didn't notice the FAQ link when I joined. I learned about it first by seeing someone post a link to a FAQ article in a thread. I understand why so many people seem to have not even looked at the FAQ before posting: it's because many of them didn't even realize it is there.

There almost needs to be a tutorial, like when you setup a new device, you are made to click through training screens. I can imagine something similar, where the new member is taken through a presentation of the site organization, shown the link to the FAQ, the search feature, and given quick tips on what to know about BlackBerrys and what to know about BlackBerryForums rules and etiquette. I don't know if that is possible (or even how to do it). And of course, potential new members could say "to heck with this" and go back to Google and find another site.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #17
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwking View Post
OK, it got longer than I expected, but you asked:

You have quite a vibrant community here. I don't think it needs too much work - more evolution than revolution.

The first questions I'd ask are: What percentage of threads are started by new users (or users with fewer than 10 posts)? How many members return after those first posts? What percentage of hits are from unregistered users? I suspect the board has a very high percentage of very temporary members or researchers. The design should cater to them, not the folks who'll be here regardless, and can navigate without giving it a moment's thought (or can after a brief adjustment to any changes).

A quick look at the roster seems to show that of almost 550,000 registered users, about 400,000 have never posted; 20,000 users have 10 posts; 2,000 users have 100 posts; and 200 users have 1000 posts. OK, and a dozen members (presumably with carpel tunnel) have 10,000+ posts.

From a tech perspective, I generally like vBulletin (I use vB for my board), and your mobile skin addition was welcome - especially with read thread marking consistent between the styles and browsers. Allowing the user to choose styles would be nice, rather than having the system choose for you. No accounting for taste. I have a couple visually impaired members using the mobile style on their computers - much larger and easier for them to read. Any change to the look and feel will, of course, be disruptive to the experienced members, but they will adapt to the new norm.

Looking at content, I personally find there are too many stickied threads, and all over the place. No more than two or three stickied threads per board would be my goal, and only sticky them on the first page. Do we really need a stickied poll on blackberry loyalty or devices supporting OS 5? Perhaps a read-only board with proven useful stickies (not quite an FAQ), well edited for consistent layout and language, with a welcoming title, placed at or near the top of the forum list for new users to easily find. Alas, as far as I can tell most people won't read stickies, though, but would rather post the same question for the umpteenth time.

I'm torn between too many boards and keeping topics apart. Some boards haven't been posted to in weeks or months - are they really needed? Is a board dedicated "to the upcoming BlackBerry Operating System 6.0" still needed? Blackberry on Non-RIM hardware? And the "general" and "help" boards have way too much overlap and no clear differentiation. Many topics get put into them that should rightfully be in one of the more narrowly focused boards. If there's going to be a fine sifting of board topics, the messages should be reflected in them. Much more aggressively moving threads would keep the other boards more active, too.

From a community management perspective, an effort to tone down the snark and accusatory tone from some of the more experienced members might be helpful. Obviously the board is not here to help support stolen devices, crack software, or abet spying. Those issues do come up routinely, and get tiresome to address over and over- but they could be handled with a bit more tact. Perhaps a top sticky on the primary board (currently "general") with posting guidelines to remind people what the BBF is about, and what constitutes appropriate topics. And while it's funny for the regulars, there really shouldn't be an opportunity to kick back with popcorn.

-jk

I really like these thoughts. Thank you. Your completely right that the majority of the traffic is search/Google based. I also completely agree on the snark and accusatory tone that some of the members have. Hopefully this will change, but is really out of my hands.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #18
jmwking
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Civility can be encouraged. It takes high expectations and gentle persuasion. And the occasional baseball bat. But it's doable.

-jk
Old 09-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #19
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

I would like to be able to use Tapatalk with BBF in the future
Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #20
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I would like to be appointed as the official BBF Village Idiot...

Thanks!
Closed Thread