Old 08-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
mfijalkowski

Model: E61i
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default BBC for Nokia E61i found problems - please, help

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I’m using BlackBerry functionality via BlackBerry Connect for Nokia in Nokia phone E61i.

I can receive and send emails. It works without any problems.

However, I found some problems/minuses which appeared using BBC in E61i.

- I can not use APN Blackberry.net to surf Internet. So, having blackberry BES while Internet surfing should be for free, I have to pay additional charges for using Internet.
- Emails attachments are not matched with proper file format applications like pdf, excel, etc. – all attachments are open in viewer.
- No BlackBerry messenger
- No synchronization of Tasks (ToDo) from Lotus Notes.

Could you confirm whether you have similar problems or you might know how to eliminate some of them?
The most painful is surfing Internet with additional costs. May someone know how to resolve that issue.

Kind Regards,
Marek
Old 08-31-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
cellindo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
PIN: option - status
Carrier: XL & Indosat

all that you want below only supported by blackberry devices....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfijalkowski View Post
Hi,

I’m using BlackBerry functionality via BlackBerry Connect for Nokia in Nokia phone E61i.

I can receive and send emails. It works without any problems.

However, I found some problems/minuses which appeared using BBC in E61i.

- I can not use APN Blackberry.net to surf Internet. So, having blackberry BES while Internet surfing should be for free, I have to pay additional charges for using Internet.
- Emails attachments are not matched with proper file format applications like pdf, excel, etc. – all attachments are open in viewer.
- No BlackBerry messenger
- No synchronization of Tasks (ToDo) from Lotus Notes.

Could you confirm whether you have similar problems or you might know how to eliminate some of them?
The most painful is surfing Internet with additional costs. May someone know how to resolve that issue.

Kind Regards,
Marek
Old 09-13-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
pinhead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

You basically need to have both Blackberry access and full data access on your line to use a non-Blackberry device with BB Connect. The great thing about the E61i is that it can handle multiple data connections at once. I can be connected to my MS Direct push exchange account at the same time as having BB Connect running and also browsing the web. Not a problem. In fact, I can do all of this while on a call via VOIP and not miss a single message or call! You might pay extra but maybe it is worth it.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
dalibor

Model: 8900

Can someone please confirm this:
I also use Nokia E61i with Blackberry functionality via Blackberry Connect.
In this case, the device does NOT support sending mail attachments from
device.
For example: I take a photo with device and try to email it via Blackberry Connect, but it's not possible.
Is there a way to do this, or it's possible only with Blackberry device?

Thanks in advance!

dalibor
Old 04-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
flipflash77
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: TELUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalibor View Post
Can someone please confirm this:
I also use Nokia E61i with Blackberry functionality via Blackberry Connect.
In this case, the device does NOT support sending mail attachments from
device.
For example: I take a photo with device and try to email it via Blackberry Connect, but it's not possible.
Is there a way to do this, or it's possible only with Blackberry device?
I will confirm that this does not work. BlackBerry Connect 4 is pretty limited and does not support sending attachments. Along with all of the other limitations of BBC, I've just given up and switched back to regular BlackBerry hardware. BBC in its current form is just crap (only supports incoming PIN, no BB Messenger, unable to send attachments, unable to process meeting requests at least on S60).

If you really want to send an attachment, try creating a non-BlackBerry mailbox on your E61i. Those work perfectly with a regular internet email account, though I'm not sure if they can coexist with BBC installed.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
vshtonov

Model: BBC
Carrier: M-Tel

Let's be fair to the E61i. It does quite a few things better than the RIM devices and at the same time it lacks a few features. To answer Marek's question above:

- You do not want to use the blackberry.net APN because the web pages come out looking terrible. On the E61i you can go over a 3G or Wifi and have desktop like web pages on your handheld. It is not an iPhone but head and shoulders above Blackberry.

- Blackberry's always open attachments in a viewer, i.e. it does not transfer the whole file, neither on the RIM device nor on the Nokia. If you want to edit the file natively on the E61i then you need to use a Gmail (fast and easy). On the blackberry you cannot edit files at all, so do not even mention it. For example, many people switch from the to do application to an excel based To Do list. You can edit and sort this on the E61 in a similar way to the desktop. On the Berry you cannot.

- If you use your E61 in 3G mode you get simultaneous voice and data connections. As another poster said, you can talk on the phone, play music to the caller, surf the web, etc. all at once.

- The blackberry can send pictures but they look like crap. On the Nokia you can send a picture or any file (zipped is best) via mms to any email address (or phone). It sends the full picture/file with downgrading the quality. Yes, it does take an extra step though.

- You are right about the To Do list - that seems to be a Notes issue though.

Just learn how to use the E61 leveraging its features. Do not try to replicate what you did on the Berry on the Nokia... you would not be happy. Many people in the office who switched back to Blackberry came back to the Nokia.

Vassil
Old 04-25-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
dalibor

Model: 8900

Thank you, guys, for reply!

You gave me lot important information, thanks!

Best Regards,
dalibor