BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
brh986
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default blackberry 8310 won't boot - how to fix?

Please Login to Remove!

WHen I turn it on the hour glass shows for literally a couple of minutes then I see hte normal home screen very briefly then the screen goes blank. It won't turn back on but if I connect to the computer I can see the phone is still powered on however the phone won't synch or backup contact information.

First is there any hope of getting the contact details out of this phone? If so how?

If not I would like to try to fix it by wiping it and reinstalling the firmware, the problem is I don't remember how to do this. Can someone please give me instructions? THank you.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

First, before wiping, when you say turn on, if you haven't tried a hard reset, do it. remove the battery for about 30 seconds. And while you have the battery out, remove the microSD card if you have one installed. Replace the battery and see what happens.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
brh986

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted (8820)

First, before wiping, when you say turn on, if you haven't tried a hard reset, do it. remove the battery for about 30 seconds. And while you have the battery out, remove the microSD card if you have one installed. Replace the battery and see what happens.
I've tried that many times, it has no effect. Can you please point in the right direction on how to do a wipe and where to get the necesary software? I've got nothing on the PC i'm working with. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

You didn't say that you had tried the hard reset and removal of the microSD card in your original post. Had to ask. You should have said.

See BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ . Look for the two articles on wiping with JL_CMDER. See if you can run a backup using desktop manager beforehand. Probably not, but try.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
JBrooks

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (8820)

I have just ended a 3 hour ordeal and wanted to post hoping this will help someone. Last night phone started with the JVM 517 error. So I googled it and ended up here. Tried the battery pull reset. Holding down the back button when the red light went off. Nothing. I have had this phone only a week so I didn't think to do a phone back up for restore. Tried the app manager and just trying to reload the OS. Nothing. So I decide to Jl_Cmder it and just start over. Do a search on here looking for the thread about doing the Jl_Cmder and came across this thread which I did not see earlier. Saw the post about taking the Micro SD card out. Tried that nothing. So I took out my SIM card and it booted right up. Put my cards back in and it's like nothing happened.. Plugged the phone in and did a backup file. My question is, is this going to happen again? Is this one of those after the first time it just gets worse things? Or what preventative measures can be taken?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrooks
Quote:
Wirelessly posted (8820)

I have just ended a 3 hour ordeal and wanted to post hoping this will help someone. Last night phone started with the JVM 517 error. So I googled it and ended up here. Tried the battery pull reset. Holding down the back button when the red light went off. Nothing. I have had this phone only a week so I didn't think to do a phone back up for restore. Tried the app manager and just trying to reload the OS. Nothing. So I decide to Jl_Cmder it and just start over. Do a search on here looking for the thread about doing the Jl_Cmder and came across this thread which I did not see earlier. Saw the post about taking the Micro SD card out. Tried that nothing. So I took out my SIM card and it booted right up. Put my cards back in and it's like nothing happened.. Plugged the phone in and did a backup file. My question is, is this going to happen again? Is this one of those after the first time it just gets worse things? Or what preventative measures can be taken?
I don't know.

I've read where someone had to get a new SIM, but me personally, I've had the same SIM all along. Two or three devices ago, I got the no SIM message or something like that one time, removed and reinserted the SIM and all was well.
You may see it again shortly, or you may never see it again, just guessing.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
snhrph
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
PIN: nacle of creation
Carrier: ATT

Removing the SIM and SD cards did nothing to help me resolve the JVM Error 517.

JL_CMDER was unable to connect and wipe the bb. I followed the directions on What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQand it worked!!! Yes, baby, I got my bb back!!! I did not even realize how much I would miss it while it was inoperable.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
icoultha

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

This process also recovered mine from it's inconvenient crash thsi morning. Excellent to have valuable help like this available.
Closed Thread