BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys
Default Another One Bites The Dust...A vent in C minor.

Please Login to Remove!

So I decided to keep the 4th Curve and give it a chance. I love this phone. Seriously. I paid to have it unlocked, I did John Clark's memory modifications, put all the Hello Kitty wallpapers I could find on my sd card and went on my way right?

Ok, my UMA went out for a few days, no biggie, the lovely folks on bbforums told me how to fix it (actually I just had to wait it out). Ok so then the thing started rebooting randomly when I wasn't using it. Ok, so again I find out on bbforums how to take care of this. I clear my entry logs, reload the OS and the thing goes back to working perfectly. Until I get what has been the most important call of my professional career so far...it went out mid call and I had 15 minutes of white screen/hourglass of death.

And it has been "rebooting" since Thursday. No seriously. I tried the JL_Cmdr, I tried reloading everything without restoring. Every 12-14 minutes the thing goes out again.

Not to mention, I'm getting phantom voice messages. I go to check, and there are no new messages in my mailbox.

So I call up T-Mobile, now they want to send me another phone, that will likely be a refurbished phone. So I'm going to end up inheriting someone elses issues, along with the ones that may arise with this "new" phone.

I'm LIVID. I can't calm down. I am so effin angry. I'm willing to pay the cancellation fee to take my business elsewhere. Outside of the phones that I have sent back in favor of my 8800, I have had ELEVEN PHONES malfunction on me since July 2006. All I want is a working phone. JUST ONE. Why is this so hard? I'm going to go cry now.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

since july 2006 i have used/upgraded/had probably 250 phones and not one issue like this that couldnt be fixed with a good jl commander wipe and then an OS reload. even water damage fixed itself over time. dont know what to tell you abotu what is going wrong.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Four curves in a row and 11 devices 18 months is not all gonna be manufacturer failure. Something else is going on here. I thought that a couple months ago when you told us you were getting your fourth curve and I still do.

I hate it that you are so upset at something so vague.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

i agree with JS, the only common variable here is unfortunately you. something is happening to the phones while you are using them. are you removing the cod files from each using Johns memory thread? have you run Any of the devices stock out of the box to see if they work?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You're death on phones, Terita, for sure, but there has to be an explanation. What's a typical week from your blackberrys standpoint? You may not drop it or get it wet. But do you leave it in a vehicle where it gets hot sometimes? Anything that's maybe different from others who aren't killing phones?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

A brief history:
8 of the 11 phones were WM phones (I know I know). 3 got wet, 2 just stopped working, the rest had various issues from voice strips (3 dash replacements with the same issue) to randomly deleting everything off the phone, to being dead on arrival.

the other curves (except for the first one I dropped onto concrete and killed instantly) were fine, I just liked my 8800 better and went back to it so they were sent back. even that one had to be replaced though, it stopped charging through the USB port.

J Sanders I'm upset because I see everyone else chugging along swimmingly, and I look down and I have the white screen. They come on here and get their issues solved or they call support and get their issues solved and go right on as if nothing happened. Me? I get two days of sunshine and four of the white screen of death. I'm way tired of it.

Sith-I've only done the file removal on this phone...the other ones were run stock out of the box with just my personal info restored to them.

AI Harkness-I don't think I'm any harder on my phones than anyone else, for the most part it is in my purse or on my desk or being used. I keep it in the gel case 98% of the time and am careful not to drop it, but we all make mistakes. I've definitely dropped this phone more than once.

I'm reloading the OS (again) right now. I'm determined to get this one working because I really don't want another refurb. Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited by TeritaM; 02-09-2008 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: I cannot spell.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Terita, no great suggestions here, just sorry that you're going through this. Interesting that other than the concrete drop experience, that this is the first Curve with issues, as opposed to just sending them back - maybe there's hope for another one, although after 11 of all kinds, I do feel for you! For what its worth, with regards to being sent a refurb, those that you used briefly and sent back went to someone else as "refurbs" and there wasn't a thing ever wrong with them - and probably the same with one you'd get.

Hang in there - sorry for all the trouble and angst!
Old 02-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I wish I knew something to tell you, Terita. I'll just plug the 8700. It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Good luck. Hope you get the curve straightened out.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

thanks dallas & ai. I feel better after the vent and the good cry. I'm such a girl lol.

I did another JL_Cmdr last night and reloaded the OS. this time version .184. I synced my address book and didn't add anything else to the phone. no google maps. no jivetalk. I went to bed around 2am, after texting with a pal for most of the night. it didn't reboot once. I got up around 7am, still hasn't rebooted. I was on a 45 minute phone call, it just worked. I sent a bunch of texts/emails. same. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this solved the problem and they can keep their refurb.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Fingers crossed.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #11
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeritaM View Post
thanks dallas & ai. I feel better after the vent and the good cry. I'm such a girl lol.

I did another JL_Cmdr last night and reloaded the OS. this time version .184. I synced my address book and didn't add anything else to the phone. no google maps. no jivetalk. I went to bed around 2am, after texting with a pal for most of the night. it didn't reboot once. I got up around 7am, still hasn't rebooted. I was on a 45 minute phone call, it just worked. I sent a bunch of texts/emails. same. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this solved the problem and they can keep their refurb.
Not to worry - we guys generally like girls - even though sometimes we have NO idea what the best response is when they're crying.

Like aiharkness, crossing my fingers and hoping this solved it for you!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Terita, I am not intending to be hard on you either, I just wanted to make sure you both our eyes are open on the issues here. Your carrier will look at this way too. You know you will not receive any better help than right here.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

I didn't take it as anyone being hard on me JSanders . I know I'm a clutz and I know I destroy electronics routinely. I've had people tell me if they hadn't seen things go wack-o in my hands with their own eyes they would never believe me. I can usually get them working again with minimal research. this time, the advice from the board (before the upgrade Sat. night/Sun. morning) didn't work and I was really REALLY upset.

I've called T-Mo several times and gotten off the phone because the solution from them is to send another phone. logged on here and had the problem solved in minutes. that really bothers me, its like they don't even TRY to fix it, just ask if your billing address is the same and offer you ground or expedited shipping.

this is day two of it not rebooting after I upgraded to .184. so I'm thinking (fingers crossed) the problem is solved for good. and I agree, this site does give the best advice.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeritaM View Post
I didn't take it as anyone being hard on me JSanders . I know I'm a clutz and I know I destroy electronics routinely. I've had people tell me if they hadn't seen things go wack-o in my hands with their own eyes they would never believe me. I can usually get them working again with minimal research. this time, the advice from the board (before the upgrade Sat. night/Sun. morning) didn't work and I was really REALLY upset.

I've called T-Mo several times and gotten off the phone because the solution from them is to send another phone. logged on here and had the problem solved in minutes. that really bothers me, its like they don't even TRY to fix it, just ask if your billing address is the same and offer you ground or expedited shipping.

this is day two of it not rebooting after I upgraded to .184. so I'm thinking (fingers crossed) the problem is solved for good. and I agree, this site does give the best advice.
well my wife can releate to your story. She has been through about 16 pagers in 3 years and she kills every watch she has ever owned. I think its a high electrical current in her body. As long as she puts a piece of felt on the back of her watches they are fine and same thing with her pager. If she wears either of them with out it the thing shorts out. Very strange but it does happen.

Last edited by Dawg; 02-11-2008 at 03:17 PM..
Old 02-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
well my wife can releate to your story. She has been through about 16 pagers in 3 years and she kills every watch she has ever owned. I think its a high electrical current in her body. As long as she puts a piece of fely on the back of her watches they are fine and same thing with her pager. If she wears either of them with out it the thing shorts out. Very strange but it does happen.
Weird! She has to put a piece of what on the back?? Not sure what fely is??
Old 02-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #16
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
I'm guessing felt.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #17
itsj
Thumbs Must Hurt

maybe a carrier issue? don't know, cool color.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #18
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
sorry was in a hurry and didn't spell check it.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #19
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
well my wife can releate to your story. She has been through about 16 pagers in 3 years and she kills every watch she has ever owned. I think its a high electrical current in her body. As long as she puts a piece of felt on the back of her watches they are fine and same thing with her pager. If she wears either of them with out it the thing shorts out. Very strange but it does happen.
wow. I've killed my watch several times. I wonder if I have this issue? wow.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #20
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

May be something to that-many years ago, I dated a young lady that "bounced" airwaves. If she was standing on the opposite side of the room from the TV, you could point the remote at her and change channels. Endless fun for me, but I think it may have hastened our breakup.
Closed Thread