PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Did you delete the vendor.xml file?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #63
RDx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

So is this newer then the cingular os thats available online?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #64
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

No.
The Cingular version (4.2.0.71) is the newest.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #65
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

I am frustrated at Rogers for this. Shame on them for:

1) Not testing or at least not stating that you need to delete the vendor.xml for the update to even work.

2) Not stating on their web page that this is an update that fixes issues. Right now the link says "4.2.0 handheld device code". That's it. Yes Rogers, it's so intuitive that this is newer than what you shipped and they should install it. </sarcasm>

3) Not listing what it fixes

4) Not notifying customers it's available.

Sorry - but I had to vent. This type of pathetic service really angers me. It's basic common sense and courtesy. It just shows that they "don't care".
Old 01-25-2007, 08:52 PM   #66
asasyn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by djole1986
I downloaded the new file for my rogers BB 8100, on my desktop. I ran the installation on the end of the installation it asked me to run the desktop manager and i checked the box, and press done, the desktop manger opened but nothing happened then i went to the common file folder and i saw that there a RIM files. Then i went back in the desktop manager and i ran the application loader but then the loader only reads what is in the phone, there is no update or anything, and it says that i should contact rogers for the update.....is it possible that i cant do that, i know that my phone is locked to rogers meaning that I cant use other service providers, other SIM cards. So any help would be appreciated! Thanx!
i am in the same boat as you i cant get this going at all.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #67
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

In spite of the run on sentence, I will attempt to help..

- Download the new OS
- Execute the file you just downloaded
- LOCATE AND DELETE VENDOR.XML ON YOUR PC C: DRIVE
- Restart Desktop Manager

Application Loader will now load and update the BB.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:37 PM   #68
wacko

Model: Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb-mike
I am frustrated at Rogers for this. Shame on them for:

1) Not testing or at least not stating that you need to delete the vendor.xml for the update to even work.
You're not supposed to delete vendor.xml to get it to work with a Rogers device; you're only supposed to delete it if you're using the Rogers update on a non-Rogers device (ie. if your Pearl is from Cingular). So why would they tell you to delete something that you're not supposed to delete?

[EDIT] Yep, it turns out that the vendor.xml was the wrong one and people still need to delete it. That's why they have us always on the front-line testing things first, eh? Give it a couple days and I'm sure it'll be fixed.

Quote:
2) Not stating on their web page that this is an update that fixes issues. Right now the link says "4.2.0 handheld device code". That's it. Yes Rogers, it's so intuitive that this is newer than what you shipped and they should install it. </sarcasm>
Do you have issues with your Pearl? Did you call tech support? Because if you did, they would instruct you to install the new update. I don't know about you, but being told to do something is as intuitive as it gets.

Quote:
3) Not listing what it fixes
Welcome to the Blackberry world, where updates aren't given with release notes. Send of an e-mail to RIM complaining about it (not Rogers, since they didn't create the fix), let us know how it goes.

Quote:
4) Not notifying customers it's available.
And I'm sure that if a customer service rep phoned you to let you know that there's a Pearl update, you'd just go online and complain about how Rogers interrupted you during a meeting. You should be happy that they made the fix available, not complain that they didn't notify everyone about it. Has any wireless carrier ever sent out a notice that a firmware upgrade was available for a wireless device and that you should get it right away? I don't recall Fido telling me about the firmware update for my T610 a couple years ago.

Quote:
Sorry - but I had to vent. This type of pathetic service really angers me. It's basic common sense and courtesy. It just shows that they "don't care".
Yep, it really is horrible service. They don't even show you how to use a GPS receiver with the Pearl. Or how to transfer files from your computer. Or which filetypes the Pearl supports. Oh no, wait a minute. They do.

Last edited by wacko; 01-25-2007 at 10:52 PM..
Old 01-25-2007, 10:55 PM   #69
mkehoe

Model: 9900
Default Missing update

I was going to run the update tonight and the update has been removed from the blackberry website ... yesterday it was there for download and today it's gone.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #70
asasyn

Model: Curve

finally got mine up and running, didn't use the rogers os upgrade. i had to delete the vendor file as was said earlier. i noticed there is static on the line now, could this be caused by upgrading the os ?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #71
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

@ Wacko

You are way off base.

When I had a Treo with Rogers. I would either get a call (in the evening), a mailer or a text message that there was an update available. I know because there were several updates for the Treo 600 and the Treo 650. Guess what? On the website, it would state how to both download and install the update.

As for not listing what it fixes because they didn't develop it? BS as well. Why did Rogers test AND post the update to their site? For no reason at all? Or perhaps because they knew it fixed issues their customers were having. They could have listed what it fixed (at a high level at least). They wouldn't go through the effort of releasing the updated software for no reason at all.

As for your final comment - I don't even know what that has to do with what we are talking about.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #72
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkehoe
I was going to run the update tonight and the update has been removed from the blackberry website ... yesterday it was there for download and today it's gone.
What was removed?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #73
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Do Not Turn This Into A Rant About Rogers Or The Blackberry Upgrade Process. Doing So And This Thread Will Go Straight To The Rants And Raves Forum *or* Be Closed.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:00 AM   #74
Jamtart

Model: pearl

The new OS does add updates and enhancements to a variety of the workhorse appys, as well as give you the option of installing a whack of new words for the auto text in a variety of languages. I loaded up on the English and French dictionaries, financial , medical and legal terms. There were a few other things I found nifty as well , but can't remember them all right now.

Apart from the 35 minutes from start to finish, the process was really too easy. Only after reading multiple helpful threads written by y'all here !
Old 03-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #75
Number_44
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

I guess just stick to TIM Italy if you installed that one??

I really like some of the new Tim ITaly features..
Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #76
Number_44
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

any ideas??
Old 03-26-2007, 09:10 PM   #77
Rebel XT

The thought of switching over to TIM Italy is kind of scary for me. So many glitches it seems.....but disabling the auto-dim feature alone almost seems worth it
Old 03-27-2007, 12:17 AM   #78
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107
Default Quality 1st Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamtart
The new OS does add updates and enhancements to a variety of the workhorse appys, as well as give you the option of installing a whack of new words for the auto text in a variety of languages. I loaded up on the English and French dictionaries, financial , medical and legal terms. There were a few other things I found nifty as well , but can't remember them all right now.

Apart from the 35 minutes from start to finish, the process was really too easy. Only after reading multiple helpful threads written by y'all here !
Quality first post, and welcome to the forums man.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #79
vicious00013

Model: pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular

When I try to download the rogers version I just get a bunch of text
This is only the first few lines. Anyone else having this problem

javax.servlet.jsp.JspTagException: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.core.Import Support.doEndTag(ImportSupport.java:183)
at jrun__lib__layouts__css_layout2ejsp1b._jspService( jrun__lib__layouts__css_layout2ejsp1b.java:815)
at jrun.jsp.runtime.HttpJSPServlet.service(HttpJSPSer vlet.java:43)
Closed Thread