Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
Our systems are not capable of doing this. A data plan is automatically added to the account whenever the ESN of a Blackberry is added. There is no way to remove this.

If you like I can check your account for you to confirm, but I think you were misinformed on this one.
Plus Demon and I have already tried this becuase i wanted to give my son my old 8703 but with out the Data plan and we couldnt do it.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #22
MtnBikerChk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Our systems are not capable of doing this. A data plan is automatically added to the account whenever the ESN of a Blackberry is added. There is no way to remove this.

If you like I can check your account for you to confirm, but I think you were misinformed on this one.
Why do I think I should have pm'd YOU before I bought my Pearl? ;) Live and learn!

Anyway, I have Verizon and the data plan BUT I do know for a fact that AT&T can cancel the BB plan. The woman in the office next to me cancelled it a month after she got it. On her phone, it displays "data plan refused" and she uses it just like a phone/pda without the fun stuff

I'm pretty sure my salesman told me I could cancel it too but I have no intentions of cancelling so I didn't really listen LOL!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #23
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Verizon is the only carrier that requires the data plan in the states. you can cancel on any other provider.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #24
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
Verizon is the only carrier that requires the data plan in the states. you can cancel on any other provider.
Nextel used to require them also. From what I am told all carriers are supposed to require them they just choose not to.

Verizon follows the aggreement with RIM.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #25
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

its pointless IMO to sell the device without the Blackberry data plan. yes i know it can be done, yes i know you get some functionality from the device, but it ceases to be a blackberry, and just acts as a normal phone at that point. Since sprint doesnt require them, neither does Nextel anymore. sad sad times.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #26
Demon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 304fcd63

Quote:
its pointless IMO to sell the device without the Blackberry data plan. yes i know it can be done, yes i know you get some functionality from the device, but it ceases to be a blackberry, and just acts as a normal phone at that point. Since sprint doesnt require them, neither does Nextel anymore. sad sad times.
I agree. As far as using it just as a phone with no data, there are far better options available.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #27
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
I agree. As far as using it just as a phone with no data, there are far better options available.
I agree. There are way more cooler phones on the market than a BB. But for a wonderful business Device there are none better than the Blackberry.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #28
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I agree. There are way more cooler phones on the market than a BB. But for a wonderful business Device there are none better than the Blackberry.
even in terms of prosumer devices the blackberry has come a long way. once the 9xxx series gets here we will be in a whole new level IMO.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #29
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Oh I agree they are more of a phone now than they used to be.

I can remember my first 6510 on nextel it didnt even have a speaker for direct connect and it was mono chrome. Man that was along time and many devices ago.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #30
alvaro3jr

Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t

I understand that you won't get the full benefits of owning a Blackberry w/out a data plan, but I can't find another phone that will fit my needs. I need a phone that can sync with my calander/tasks/contacts/notes. Basically if I could get a phone that could sync with MS Outlook, I'd be set. I just don't have the need for mobile e-mail or web. I currently use an old palm that i had lying around and it fits my needs. The problem I have is carrying around multiple devices. I plan on getting a Pearl through AT&T w/out a data plan once my upgrade date comes along, but if somebody has a better suggestion for a phone, I'm all ears.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #31
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro3jr View Post
I understand that you won't get the full benefits of owning a Blackberry w/out a data plan, but I can't find another phone that will fit my needs. I need a phone that can sync with my calander/tasks/contacts/notes. Basically if I could get a phone that could sync with MS Outlook, I'd be set. I just don't have the need for mobile e-mail or web. I currently use an old palm that i had lying around and it fits my needs. The problem I have is carrying around multiple devices. I plan on getting a Pearl through AT&T w/out a data plan once my upgrade date comes along, but if somebody has a better suggestion for a phone, I'm all ears.
There are many devices out that do that besides the bb you just didnt search hard enough
Old 02-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #32
alvaro3jr

Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t

You may be right. There may be many devices out there can perform the functions that I need, but I haven't found one. I like managing my calander/tasks/notes/contacts on my laptop then being able to sync them with my phone. I haven't found a phone that isn't categorized as a smartphone that can do that. If I need to get a smartphone, might as well go for the one I think is best. The price seems to be accessible enough and the phone seems to have a stable OS that I don't have to worry about. The first PDA's didn't use data. They were mainly an organizer. You could instal other programs that increased their productivity and still no data.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #33
mtcrew

Model: 8130

Quote:
the verizon systems will not allow them to remove the data plan, and even "if" they did, the system would automatically add the plan after some time. welcome to the forums, but that is what is meant by required.

I have had my phone now for two months and they have not added the Data plan back on to my plan and I have been using it like a normal cellphone. I was never forced to change my plan over to the new nationwide data plan but instead allowed to keep my original voice plan after I told them I received an Ad in the mail that said it would allow me to get the deals on the Pearl phone and keep my existing plan.. and eventually the the rep got permission from the supervisor to allow me to keep my existing plan and get the deal on the pearl phones. When they arrived and I set them up the data plan was automatically added on, but then I called and they removed it. It has now been two months as I stated earlier... no fees... just using it as an organizer.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:57 PM   #34
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

having seen VZWs systems i have a hard time believe that. It just will not allow the ESN to stay activated without a data plan. have Demon here check on your plan and then it would be easier to believe you
Old 02-19-2008, 07:40 AM   #35
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
having seen VZWs systems i have a hard time believe that. It just will not allow the ESN to stay activated without a data plan. have Demon here check on your plan and then it would be easier to believe you
agreed. With out a Verizon rep verifying I have a hard time believing that because you would be the only one I know and I know a bunch of Verizon folks with BBs
Old 02-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #36
jseah
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 30496979

Having a Blackberry without a data plan is like owning a Ferrari, but leaving it parked in the driveway.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #37
itsj
Thumbs Must Hurt

when i was on the verge of getting rid of my 8703e i had it for about two months without a data plan after calling and cancelling it. after getting the pearl i needed a data plan to have this phone operate, i thought to myself ok whatever you prick i wanted data with it anyway. and i told him that i could buy the phone full price you can't deny selling it to me. but i did want the data plan....so i avoided alot of arguing
Old 02-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #38
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsj View Post
when i was on the verge of getting rid of my 8703e i had it for about two months without a data plan after calling and cancelling it. after getting the pearl i needed a data plan to have this phone operate, i thought to myself ok whatever you prick i wanted data with it anyway. and i told him that i could buy the phone full price you can't deny selling it to me. but i did want the data plan....so i avoided alot of arguing
Actually any retailer can refuse any sale for any reason. They just cant be prejudicial about it. They can sell your the phone full price as well, but they can refuse to activate it. Wouldnt be very good service of them in either case, but they would be well within their rights
Old 02-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #39
itsj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Actually any retailer can refuse any sale for any reason. They just cant be prejudicial about it. They can sell your the phone full price as well, but they can refuse to activate it. Wouldnt be very good service of them in either case, but they would be well within their rights
thats what i said to myself what the heck is wrong with this guy, is he some sort of verizon phone nazi....no phone for you...NEXT
Old 02-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #40
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsj View Post
thats what i said to myself what the heck is wrong with this guy, is he some sort of verizon phone nazi....no phone for you...NEXT
LOL. Seinfeld
Closed Thread