BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Trance Trousers

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2-UK
Default Should I get the Blackberry Storm?!

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all.

I currently own a Nokia N97 but am hugely disappointed with it. It's slow and unresponsive and nowhere near what a flagship device or 'iPhone killer' should be like. I'm therefore looking for something else, not Nokia again though as this has put me off them indefinitely, and after a bit of research the Blackberry Storm has caught my eye.

The only things I really like about the N97 are it's huge (32GB) internal memory which I can store my music collection on, all in WMA, the physical QWERTY keyboard, although I could live without that I suppose, and the WiFi capability. Ok, now a few questions if you don't mind:-

1. The media player on the Storm - can you search and play your music by their folder structure, or are you forced to use the artist/album/genre method? If not, are there any apps out there that do?

2. The same goes for the photo viewer - can you search and view by folder structure? If not, are there any apps available that do?

3. I appreciate I will have to purchase a big memory card if I wish to put all my music on the Storm, but will it accept larger than a 16GB card?

4. Does it have an FM radio?

5. I presume it multi-tasks, and if so how well does it cope?

6. Is it any good for playing games on and if so are there any good 3D ones available, on a par with the iPhone say?

7. The Storm does have WiFi doesn't it? The Blackberry website says that it does, but videos I've seen on YouTube say that it doesn't! Also, the Storm on the Blackberry website looks slightly different to those I've seen elsewhere - I'm a bit confused! Are there different versions of the Storm?

8. What is the web browser like? Does it support flash content on websites?

9. How is the performance generally?

I think that's about it, for the time being at least! So what do you think, should I but it?! I would appreciate any and all comments/suggestions.

Thanks in advance .

Last edited by Trance Trousers; 12-31-2009 at 03:36 PM..
Old 12-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
BUC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Movistar

I currently do not own a Storm 2, but I have been researching a lot, and I've played with the Storm 1 a lot too... so I think I can answer some questions...

1. You CAN browse media (music and pictures) in folder structure by going into "Media" and then in the menu hit Explore... But I strongly recommend you to use the Id3tag method... as its faster because you can find artist by typing what you're looking for.

2. Same here... but the Picture folder already give you the option to see "All Pictures" or "Folders"

3. Im 100% sure it can accept 16GB microSDHC, and I think 32 GB too but im not sure with the second..

4. Not that Im aware of, but most phones sell them as accesories.. (though you do have apps like Pandora and Slacker Radio which are pretty good)

5. It does multi-task and I think its pretty good... (music + games, call + other task, etc)

6. Im yet to see the first real 3-D game for Blackberry platform, all there is is cheap phone games... so dont expect games to be the selling point o a blackberry

7. Someone else will answer this... cause I dont own a Storm 2
Old 12-31-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Storm 9500 does NOT have wi-fi. aka Storm 1.
Storm 9520 does have wi-fi. aka storm 2.

3. 32GB, but no cards are currently available i believe.
4. No, no FM radio.
8. No, blackberries do not support flash at this time.

The HTC HD2, much like storm and iphone, does support flash in IE and has a FM radio, as well as wi-fi.
I find it quite good.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."

Last edited by MidnightDraven; 12-31-2009 at 04:02 PM..
Old 12-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
BUC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Movistar

You edited your post, so now my last number is incorrect... but midnightdraven answered correctly... anyway hope that helped
Closed Thread