BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #41
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone here have a hook up directly to RIM?

I kind of do but I'd rather not use up a favor for this.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #42
gfisher99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&Tingular

The trackball not locking during an incoming call is a tricky issue. I can see why its unlocked.. Its because during an incoming call you have the choice to Accept or Deny the call. Since its two options, you have to have a way to navigate the cursor to the other option.

What they need to do is give us the option of "Mute Ringer on Trackball Roll: On or Off"

I know to decline a call you can just hit the End key, but taking away an option to get to the visible on screen decline option is probably not what they wanted.

Thats the logic I see in this.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #43
228.SEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99
Thats the logic I see in this.
I don't see the logic, to be honest. The 8100 has a separate set of volume control buttons that should/could be used for muting an incoming call. That functionality should be removed from the trackball's scope entirely.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #44
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Looks like in their haste to make the trackball the all-powerful navigation device of the future they endowed it with way too much power.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:37 PM   #45
deezmfnutz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47
Looks like in their haste to make the trackball the all-powerful navigation device of the future they endowed it with way too much power.
The solution is simple.....SLEEPER MAGNET! If the BB is asleep it will ring until it is out of range from the proximity field of the sleeper magnet, e.g. until you take it out of your pocket and out of the sheath/holster.

RIM has a neat new accessory, the leather sleeper sheath. If you put the 8100 in the sheath and then in your pocket you will have NO PROBLEMS, I PROMISE! Plus your BB won't get all scratched up and full of pocket lint. Kills 2 birds with one stone.

BBs are designed to be used with a sleeper magnet/holster/sheath. RIM dropped the ball by not including one and by not making their accessories available at lauch.

GOTO:

http://www.shopblackberry.com/_black...DG23MAAP34QTD4

Last edited by deezmfnutz; 09-13-2006 at 06:41 PM..
Old 09-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #46
pcm2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

deezmfnutz, the page you linked says that sheath won't be available until September 27. Let's hope the issue gets fixed before then.

Could everybody please phone up T-Mobile customer support and make them aware of this issue? If T-Mobile gets complaints they will forward them to RIM and get a fix. We need to make this the top priority "known issue" for this phone, so that it gets corrected quickly. A firmware update is all that it will take.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #47
mws222
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

at this rate im about to start carrying a magnet in my pocket till the 27th
Old 09-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #48
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'll call T-Mobile business support tomorrow and tell them. And possibly something else.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:45 PM   #49
deezmfnutz

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by findmywife
I'll call T-Mobile business support tomorrow and tell them. And possibly something else.

Tell them they are idiots for not including a holster in the box. Then tell them they are complete fools for not releasing accessories for sale at launch. Anyways, in the mean time the SDA leather case from Tmobile does a good job as a case WITH FULL SLEEPER magnet functions....perfect fit as well.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/...ategorycode=21

The second from the bottom is the one that fits the 8100 perfectly. The one above it is for the MDA, thus slightly larger than the 8100.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #50
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm bumping this one because it more accurately describes the problem. The other thread is some person refuting the problems existence, which isn't helpful.

Perhaps this thread title could be edited to sound more credible?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:15 PM   #51
seepydub

Carrier: T-mobile

Here's a new issue with the trackball. I accidentally dialed 911 while the phone was in my pocket. It must a required a bump of the pearl, a scroll to emergency call, a bump, a scroll, and anther bump. All of this is possible while the keypad is locked. I had an angry 911 operator call me back to fuss at me not locking my phone while it was in my pocket, which I said sorry, but once I hung up, it went right back to being locked, confirming that I did not forget to lock it.

When the keypad is locked and you press and scroll the pearl and then let the screen go off, it resets the position of the cursor. But, if you make it to the emergency call screen where is asks if you really want to make one, letting the screen turn off does not reset this menu.

I am assuming from reading some other posts from other blackberry phones that you cannot turn off the emergency call function on the 8100, is this correct?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:08 PM   #52
jasondmilch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130c

Can someone forward this thread (or at least the relevant posts in it) to RIM and T-Mobile? that might help get some action if they see that many people are having this problem.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #53
seepydub

Carrier: T-mobile

I called t-mobile and talked with a friendly person with blackberry technical support. He was not aware of the problem but he went and got a phone and he replicated this problem on his phone. (He asked if it came with case and when I said no, his reply was that sucks )

As far as he knew, there was no immediate solution except to turn down the sensitivity of the track ball. He said he would forward something to RIM about this, though I don't know if that will do any good. I just wanted this issue recorded somewhere. More people should call t-mobile so that at least their tech people are aware of it.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #54
rvinny
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I sent an email to RIM, they wrote back in under 10min. and said they would pass the problem on to the "appropriate people"

Nice service. Lets hope we hear something.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:09 AM   #55
nickbee

I called Tmob on the way home today to report this “glitch” The nice woman said she noted my file and would make sure the proper people knew about this. My guess is that it will take more than the few people here (relatively speaking) complaining for RIM to make a change to their software. But let’s see what happens.

Maybe if we report more accidental 911 calls (as someone on here discovered is possible) there will be more urgency but on this matter...
Old 09-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #56
DJorgie76

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I called TMobile last night and spoke to Blackberry Support. The guy I spoke to said nobody has reported this issue yet. But from reading this thread I knew that wasn't true. I hope they get this fixed. I really dont want to keep my Pearl in a case. That's why I got this phone, finally a phone i can get my emails on and put in my pocket without feeling like I am carrying a brick.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #57
nickbee

I doubt anything will get done. The 10 people that call off this board (and maybe a few more out there) is not going to justify RIM to shell out $$$ for a software update. I am an optimistic person, but I think the glass is half empty on this one.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #58
ImagineParadise
Thumbs Must Hurt

While everyone is emailng RIM, engadget, and whoever else is involved, tell them to fix it where we can use the 2 GIG card and with the update to fix the pearl problem, give an option to mute the stupid camera sound.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:14 AM   #59
cwiet1

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default "Modded" a t-mobile 8100 case w

I just simply modded the t-mobile 8100 case I got today by taping, with black electical tape, a small magnet I had lying around to the bottom back of the case. It then acts as a "sleeper case" or whatnot. i have heard other people having to put the phone in upside down which sucks ( I did that for like two hours and then figured this simple task out) It looks great because the electrical tape matches the back perfect and you cant see it from the front at all. The magnet I used was a small one from a magnetic door latch like the ones used on glass cabinet doors on enterainment stands. Had one lying around but its like $2 at a hardware store. Works even though its not in the case but on the back. I will use this atleast until the blackberry proper cases and skins are available. It works great and fixes the trackball silencing the ring issue atleast until a better case or a firmware update comes out!
Old 09-17-2006, 06:23 AM   #60
nickbee

I personally donxxx8217;t want the final fix to this problem to be a case. Ixxx8217;ve never used a case with my call phones and donxxx8217;t plan on using one now. Whatxxx8217;s the point of having a small cell phone that fits nice in your pocket if you end up bulking it up with a case.
Closed Thread