BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 11-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: iFone
Carrier: AT&T
Default UPDATE!! Seidio Super Slim Crystal, Rubberized, Smoke and Pink Case vs Skin Review

Please Login to Remove!

First, I apologize about the long title. I wanted to put this in the review section but figured since it's about the 8100 also, I'd post it here first.

Alrighty. So I wanted to try out the cases that Seidio offer...I received the second package today.

Here is the Pearl naked (BSE full body skin):

Here is the Pearl with Seidio's Jet Black Skin Case (silicone):

Here is the two piece Rubberized Case:

Here is the two piece Pink and Smoke Case:

As you can see, two pieces. Fits very snug. I actually like this better than the silicone skin. The two cases snap together, well...in a snap. This goes for all the cases. Some may have been experiencing problems with the top part. I would suggest latching/snapping the top part first, followed by the bottom and then the sides. Hope that helps!

The Feel: Much better than the silicone skin and very sturdy. Looks much better than the silicone skin. Also, the Rubberized Case feels nice and smooth. I love the color of the smoke but I love the Rubberized Case better. Pink is for either my sister or girlfriend, they are contemplating about getting an 8100.

The rubberized case doesn't seem to scratch easily. Other than that, the convenience keys/volume keys are easy to access. I have had the rubberized case for about a week and it has not attracted any lint/dust at all. Looks very sleek!

Now for the Super Slim Crystal Case:

Smoke Case:

Pink Case:

*Note: Don't mind the smudge on the back, that's just the BSE full body skin coming in contact with the case.

The case snaps on much easier than the Rubberized Case and has an even better fitting. So 'fit' that I had trouble taking the back piece off! Other than that, the case is basically the same as the Rubberized Case. I prefer the rubberized over the other cases.

All four cases did not scratch the Pearl in any way.

Overall Results (out of 10):**

Rubberized Case: 9.9
Smoke Case: 9.8
Super Slim Crystal Case: 9.7
Jet Black Skin Case: 9.0
Pink Case: 9.7

**I placed the cases/skin in order of preference

Thank you Seidio for the great products. Seidio has become my #1 place for 8100 accessories. Again, Much thanks to David Chang for being courteous, prompt PM replies and freaking awesome!

Last edited by phungy; 11-06-2006 at 03:34 PM..
Old 11-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
odnerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile

Man the rubberized case looks really good...
Old 11-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Thanks for the review but one that kind of bother me is, he always says that it is smooth and easy to take out of the pocket so my question is (if you also have the Blackberry Skin Case version) will it stays in place if you put it on top of the dashboard will you are driving? That's one thing I like to know.

I know it's just a minor thing but I still like to know.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy
Thanks for the review but one that kind of bother me is, he always says that it is smooth and easy to take out of the pocket so my question is (if you also have the Blackberry Skin Case version) will it stays in place if you put it on top of the dashboard will you are driving? That's one thing I like to know.

I know it's just a minor thing but I still like to know.
Well since each car's dashboard is different, the Pearl with Rubberized Case slid more easily. My dashboard has the same texture as Japanese paper (bumpy with fine ridges).

Last edited by phungy; 11-02-2006 at 02:16 PM..
Old 11-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
phjnky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

thanks for taking the time to do that! I can't decide between the rubberized or smoke case. i think the smoke might be the best.. decisions decisions. errrrrrr.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phjnky
thanks for taking the time to do that! I can't decide between the rubberized or smoke case. i think the smoke might be the best.. decisions decisions. errrrrrr.
Yep, I like the Smoke Case pictures Seidio posted but I'm afraid it will be just like the Super Slim Crystal Case. If so, then I'm sticking with the Rubberized Case.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #7
Saif210
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile

Doesnt it seem that these cases not only add to the overall size of the phone (albiet minimally) but also takes away from the sleek design?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #8
jammerz

I want to get the rubberized case, but I also still want to use my Blackberry designed pouch. Will it still fit into the pouch?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammerz
I want to get the rubberized case, but I also still want to use my Blackberry designed pouch. Will it still fit into the pouch?
Do you have a pic or link of the pouch?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

thanks so much for posting the pics. they look great!
but now I'm in a quandry. I've ordered the black skin and now I'm really liking the look of the rubberized hard case. oh the agony of options!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #11
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif210
Doesnt it seem that these cases not only add to the overall size of the phone (albiet minimally) but also takes away from the sleek design?
I understand what you are trying to say. I guess it comes down to personal preference.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmccartin
thanks so much for posting the pics. they look great!
but now I'm in a quandry. I've ordered the black skin and now I'm really liking the look of the rubberized hard case. oh the agony of options!
Even though I've only had it for about an hour, I think the Rubberized Case is much better than the skin. If Seidio hasn't shipped out your skin, opt for the Rubberized Case
Old 11-02-2006, 12:45 PM   #13
tsinc80697

whats the rubberized case like for getting in and out of pockets?
Does it stick to your pocket atall as i want something smooth in my pocket, but prefer the rubber look
Old 11-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #14
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by phungy
Even though I've only had it for about an hour, I think the Rubberized Case is much better than the skin. If Seidio hasn't shipped out your skin, opt for the Rubberized Case
yeah, they shipped it tuesday, should be waiting at home for me today. or is it ?
oh well, maybe I'll just have to have BOTH!

Last edited by ejmccartin; 11-02-2006 at 12:50 PM..
Old 11-02-2006, 12:53 PM   #15
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsinc80697
whats the rubberized case like for getting in and out of pockets?
Does it stick to your pocket atall as i want something smooth in my pocket, but prefer the rubber look
Smoother than the silicone skin. I hopped into a pair of jeans and tried sliding it in/out a few times. Much easier to get out than the silicone skin which would grab onto the sides of the pocket.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #16
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Very nice. A thorough review and I like the pics. I have two Pearls [one being used by girlfriend, so I think that counts as me having two ].

I have a clear plastic on the way, but I think I'm gonna try out that black rubberized. Looks nice.

Will give the clear or the black one to my GF.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:12 PM   #17
Lex Luthor

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Thanks for the review. I have the Black skin and the Smoke Crystal case coming from Seidio so I am excited about trying both of them.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #18
TheBigNewt

Carrier: Tmobile

Nice review indeed. I don't have a Pearl yet, but when I get mine the rubberized case is what I want. Plus it won't scratch like all hard platic cases do. How easy is it to get off to access the battery door? What screen protection do you use with it?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #19
Activator

Carrier: Cingular

The rubberized case looks interesting, and the fact that you say dust and lint aren't a problem is intriguing... (I won't put the Seidio Silicone skin/"dust magnet" back on the phone... unless I need to dust the house!)

One thing. How heavy is the rubberized case? It looks rather thick. Thicker than the Silicone skin? Or thinner.

Good review!

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #20
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Nice review indeed. I don't have a Pearl yet, but when I get mine the rubberized case is what I want. Plus it won't scratch like all hard platic cases do. How easy is it to get off to access the battery door? What screen protection do you use with it?
The Super Slim Crystal Case is easier to get off than the Rubberized Case but as easy as it was to snap on the case.

Well, I don't really have a 'screen protector' but I have a full body skin from BSE that protects the screen also. It was cheap, $9 shipped. I'm very satisfied.