Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
DaveDanger
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular
Exclamation Bold 9000 freezes during OS update

Please Login to Remove!

Plugged my phone (OS 4.6) into my Desktop Computer over Desktop Manager 6.0 (freshly installed). The Desktop Manager indicated that a new OS update was available (5.0). I OK'd it to install the update and it proceeded. It finally reached a point that it's prompting me on the handheld to Allow or Deny an Application Permission (to allow Telenav Address Book Plugin to receive sms messages). Problem is, the instant it reaches that dialogue box, everything freezes in the handheld. I can't scroll the cursor in any direction. Nothing happens at all. Nothing at all works other than I can hit the space bar and bring the handheld back from the screen time-out.
Obviously skittish about unplugging the handheld since there's a warning in Desktop Manager that says "During these steps, do NOT disconnect your device or interrupt this process as it could make your device unusable".
In desperation, I finally pulled the battery and reset the handheld and watched the phone go through the same procedure... all the way up to locking up at the very same "Applications Permissions" dialogue box.
Same thing, once it gets there, I no longer can get the handheld to accept any keyboard/rollerball input.

I'm self employed and this phone is my mobile office. I need it back up in some fashion, ASAP

Assistance appreciated.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Here's my thought: Boot up in safe mode and delete Telenav. Then if the device boots up, see what you have. Still the old OS, or the new?

If the upgrade took, then try installing Telenav again and see if the problem is gone.

If the old, do the upgrade again, but do not install Telenav with the upgrade. Install Telenav after.

See KB17877-How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in safe mode if you need instructions on booting in safe mode.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Also, I don't know if it could even be a factor or not, but also try removing the micro SD card, and probably you should try that first before removing Telenav and reinstalling it again.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
DaveDanger

Is it possible to boot up the device in "safe mode" ??
I may not have been clear in my problem... it's the device (Bold 9000) that hangs on bootup, not my computer.

(while proofreading my own message here, I re-read yours, and saw the reference to booting the device in safe mode)

It hasn't made any difference whether the device is plugged into my computer or not, I've hard reset it multiple times now since my problem manifested itself yesterday... it continues to boot up to the same screen and locks. Because I can't get the phone to accept ANY keyboard or rollerball inputs at the freeze point, I can't prevent it from arriving at the freeze point. It seems like the new OS is mostly or even completely installed since the phone does boot up to the point of asking about the Telenav permissions... but it gets there without any interruption on my part allowed.
Unless I come up with a solution to this, I'm giving up on this phone. I swapped my sim card & media card back to my old Curve 8310 and it works fine, albeit more slowly since it's a 2G. (That was my primary reason for the swap in the first place).
I greatly appreciate everyone's assistance with this problem!
David
Old 08-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Regarding "safe mode". >>> KB17877-How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in safe mode
Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

The KB article probably says it, but I believe the safe mode function is on OS versions 4.6 and later.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
DaveDanger

Managed a safe boot of the Bold 9000, got all the 3rd party software programs deleted which allowed the phone to boot up to a normal screen. I made sure nothing of mine was stored inside, and gave it back to the previous owner.
My old 2G Curve 8310 will hafta do it for me for the near future till I look around a bit more.

Thanks all
Old 08-31-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Why did you give up on the 9000? Just curious. What ever the glitch was, I'm sure that's all it was, just some hiccup.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
DaveDanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Why did you give up on the 9000? Just curious. What ever the glitch was, I'm sure that's all it was, just some hiccup.
Several items in fact,
1. Never could get the phone to sync with any version of Outlook in my desktop computer.
2. The letter "A" was locked out as a speed dial access#. A niggling complaint I admit, but it bugged me.
3. Killed the battery at least 3 times a day if I didn't keep it plugged in constantly. New battery 2 months ago.
4. Hated the "6-dock" home screen. Got used to locating as many icons on my home screen as I wanted to on my Curve 8310, and pushed everything else off to a lower folder. I could find NO theme that allowed me to set up a similar set of icons in the Bold 9000.
5. It didn't cost me a dime to get into it, so I lost nothing by getting back out of it.

I'll shop around and find another BB model that works for me. I like the BB's too much to go chasing a "toy" phone
Old 08-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Ok. Fair enough. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't because of this particular problem you posted about.

Now I'm curious about the Outlook issue, but it's OBE now.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
DaveDanger

The Outlook issue I'd run into before, and it is in some fashion, a problem of my own making.
I have 3 computers and a laptop scattered around my office and workshop and they all are sync'd to each other (and to my Blackberry handset) once weekly to make sure all have current copies of my work data files.
I use Office 2000 (which is the latest version of Office that doesn't require multiple licenses to operate on separate computers). So I can't afford to upgrade beyond that.
The problem comes in at the point that BB Desktop Manager (later than BBDM ver 4.2) refuses to see Outlook 2000 as a data syncronization option. I discovered this by upgrading to newer versions of BBDM in the past, trying to stay up with the most current release. I've had to uninstall anything newer than ver.4.2 to continue sync'ing my BB work notes with my Outlook.
BBDM 4.2 simply refused to see the Bold 9000 at all when it was USB connected to my desktop computer. The computer itself would see the Bold, I could browse the files on it in Windows Explorer, but the DM couldn't see anything connected at all.
After days of trying to solve that, I decided I'd upgrade the Outlook in one computer and see if a slightly newer version of BBDM would work with the Bold at that point. That's when I ran into problems with trying to clean out multiple versions of BBDM. Got that solved with advice from folks here on the forum finally and decided to upgrade the OS on the handset to see if that would help. Ran into the handset freeze-up problem and decided I simply had bad karma with the Bold 9000.
So long story short, more my fault than anything else. But I needed to get that phone outa my possession before I threw it against the nearest wall with force exceeding its shock-test rating.
Thanks again for ya'lls advice and help. I now know several more things about my BB phone than I did 10 days ago
David