Old 12-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #221
outwism

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
OMG, serriously, it is not that hard. On Bell, Telus, and POSSIBLY VZW the GPS on the 8130 WILL ONLY WORK if you install a version of GMM that was meant for a device with an internal GPS - therefore, 88xx series. No other GMM version will work with GPS on the 8130 with those carriers. What is so damn confusing about that?

I feel like I am trying to explain things to children, no offense mod. I am trying to contribute something useful to the community and I am being caught constantly on things like "oh but I don't need this for my 8310, my 8310 works fine with internal GPS" or in your case "[you] don't know what I am talking about"

*** THE FIX IS FOR 8130 BLACKBERRY WITH CDMA CARRIERS OTHER THAN SPRINT, AND POTENTIALLY ANYONE ELSE WHOSE GOOGLE MAPS DO NOT WORK ON THE 8130 WITH INTERNAL GPS ***
guess it doesnt work on sprint then! i never saw that in earlier postings. thanks.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #222
dejanh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Bell Mobility

@outwism - if your internal GPS does not work with GMM you can try the above solution. The only reason why I said not Sprint is because I was informed that you guys do not have issues with internal GPS not working with GMM.

If you do need it, then what you need to do is right click the link and say something like "copy link location" and then paste this into notepad to see what the full link is. The forum shortens it to a form you cannot read.

Quote:
Putting another OS on your Pearl will not unlock the GPS.
I find that hard to believe. I am not saying that people did not try this and it did not work, it is just that if it does not there has to be a different explanation for it. Short of different hardware all-together in the device, there is no way really to lock out the use of GPS by "tying it only to TeleNav or GPS Nav". Bell tried to pull this stunt on me telling me that I must pay $10/m so I can use GPS, and I am currently using it without their "subscription".

Question is, do you see the GPS option under Options > Advanced. If yes, make sure that your GPS Data Source is set to Device GPS and that your GPS Services are set to On. If you do not have the GPS option, do you have it when you install a different OS? If you do and both of those are done as I specified, and if the **8830 version of GMM*** does not detect the GPS, then it must be that VZW devices are using different hardware than the Bell/Telus/Sprint.

Last edited by dejanh; 12-03-2007 at 01:25 PM..
Old 12-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #223
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Verizon

I installed the Telus 8130 OS release on my Pearl 8130 from Verizon.

None of the GPS software I tried (BB Maps, Google Maps, Windows Live Search, etc.) could find or use the Pearl's internal GPS. I have only been able to use GPS via an external GPS puck.

Doesn't seem to hard to believe that Verizon, working with RIM, could work out a way to lock down almost any feature on the Verizon version of the Pearl. Given their desire to profit from VZNav services $$, they would have likely made that a go/no go requirement of allowing the phone on their network.

I sure would like you to be right, but I'm not seeing it. Sorry.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #224
dejanh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
I installed the Telus 8130 OS release on my Pearl 8130 from Verizon.

None of the GPS software I tried (BB Maps, Google Maps, Windows Live Search, etc.) could find or use the Pearl's internal GPS. I have only been able to use GPS via an external GPS puck.

Doesn't seem to hard to believe that Verizon, working with RIM, could work out a way to lock down almost any feature on the Verizon version of the Pearl. Given their desire to profit from VZNav services $$, they would have likely made that a go/no go requirement of allowing the phone on their network.

I sure would like you to be right, but I'm not seeing it. Sorry.
I PM'ed you, but I'll ask here anyway, you do not see the GPS option under Advanced Options then at all? Also, did you ever try wiping BB Maps from your device and installing it again OTA from BB site? When you punch in #4357* and hit Enter what do you get for Device Software Version, H/W Version, Device Capabilities?

Last edited by dejanh; 12-03-2007 at 02:12 PM..
Old 12-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #225
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Verizon

I can switch between my internal GPS and bluetooth GPS just fine in GPS settings, and GPS is enabled.

None of the GPS apps I've tried (both before and after installing the Telus 4.30.0.65 upgrade) can find or use my Pearl's GPS. They all find and use my BT GPS fine.

I have removed BB Maps from my Pearl because I like Google and others better, but haven't reinstalled it...I'm sorry, but for Verizon I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #226
dejanh
Thumbs Must Hurt

That's fine, I am just exploring it because that is what I always do, he he If your GPS is stated as Enabled in your detailed status options (the #4357*), and you say that all of the GPS prefs are set properly, then your hardware must be crippled, and if that is the case, that is very very sad to hear. I kind of thought RIM would have done a bit better than to play the telecoms' game, but I guess not. I would personally not stand for that, and would really complain. I already forced Bell to give me my MSL, I am using WLM without the stupid subscription thing they force you to get just so they can charge you for something that is in fact free, and I have gotten them to get moving on releasing the 4.3.0.66 OS (which I will apparently get in a couple of days).

I see no basis on which some of these telecoms deny you having what is in fact legally yours. Maybe instead of selling the phones they should license them out, then they can restrict the use of whatever the hell they want. Bah, they make me so angry >:

Last edited by dejanh; 12-03-2007 at 02:22 PM..
Old 12-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #227
TDOERR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular AT&T
Default GPS Google Maps Drain Battery 8300

Noticed a tremendous battery drain. One of our users had to use Google Help to disable my locaiton, or it stays connected and drains battery. Anyone else seening this problem? I would think it would stop cell tower location triangulation once you exit the app but so far it doesnt.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #228
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDOERR View Post
Noticed a tremendous battery drain. One of our users had to use Google Help to disable my locaiton, or it stays connected and drains battery. Anyone else seening this problem? I would think it would stop cell tower location triangulation once you exit the app but so far it doesnt.
You have to exit via the wheel and cscroll to "exit" and click to exit the app. If you just hit the escape button the app is still running and using the battery up.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #229
Jaime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

Me too, even if I close gmaps something is draining my battery.

Best,
Jaime
Old 12-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #230
dietcoke

Model: dCoke
Carrier: o2

For some reason the version has been flipped back

go to install and it says 2.0.0 again....

weird
Old 12-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #231
Jaime

Carrier: Claro Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcoke View Post
For some reason the version has been flipped back

go to install and it says 2.0.0 again....

weird
I saw that too...
Old 12-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #232
infinus
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

The blue dot shows your tower theory is not completely accurate. I can tell you for sure that the blue dot it guesses for me is NOT a tower, and yet it guesses my location fairly accurately.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #233
ashleyneiltaylor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinus View Post
The blue dot shows your tower theory is not completely accurate. I can tell you for sure that the blue dot it guesses for me is NOT a tower, and yet it guesses my location fairly accurately.
But you have an 8800 so aren't you using GPS for Location?????
Old 12-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #234
mbullock

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMobile
Default Google Maps problem

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of Google Maps on my BB8700g. I get the following error msg when using the My Location feature

"Your current location is temporarily unavailable"

Any suggestions on what the problem could be. I have tried it in different locations in my city with no luck
Old 12-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #235
infinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyneiltaylor View Post
But you have an 8800 so aren't you using GPS for Location?????
I disabled the GPS to try out the antenna triangulation feature.

The first time I loaded version 2 I did not allow it to access the GPS on my phone to see what it would come up with and right off the bat the tower fix was fairly accurate. The blue dot was about 2 blocks off however it doesn't line up even close with a tower. The nearest towers to me are actually fairly far off, without stepping outside I can't even pick them up.

Last edited by infinus; 12-06-2007 at 12:32 PM..
Old 12-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #236
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Tmobile

I have a tmo 8800, how do you disable the GPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinus View Post
I disabled the GPS to try out the antenna triangulation feature.
The first time I loaded version 2 I did not allow it to access the GPS on my phone to see what it would come up with and right off the bat the tower fix was fairly accurate. The blue dot was about 2 blocks off however it doesn't line up even close with a tower. The nearest towers to me are actually fairly far off, without stepping outside I can't even pick them up.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #237
dknell

Model: 8900
Carrier: ATT

when i had the VZW oem OS...google maps worked great...now that i upgraded to .71 ...its soooo slow! anyone with the same prob?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #238
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: If you knew me you would have it!
Carrier: T-Mobile

I like it. Pretty accurate and loads a lot quicker too with updated locations. Whoot!

Looking to buy or sale used car audio?
www.caraudioclassifieds.org
Old 12-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #239
funkyp56

Model: iPhon
PIN: iPhones have no PIN

I'm not sure it triangulates, I think it just goes off the tower you are connected to. I just tested that ant site
Old 12-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #240
infinus

Don't allow it permission to access your phones GPS and it's effectively disabled for Google Maps.
Closed Thread