Old 11-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Smile Soon to be 8520 owner :)

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone! I've been lurking for awhile and decided to join when I finally did the deal: I called in the order an 8520 for my HUP (hardware upgrade).

I've worked in telecommunications for over a year, but have never had a smartphone. For the longest time I was holding out for an Iphone 3gs, and I never went for it. I got a free Itouch at work as an incentive, and cracked the screen within two weeks. My experience with the Itouch has taught me it's fun, but not something I can picture using as a phone. Yeah, I can listen to music and play games, but I wear the crap out of the battery so quick just doing those things.

So I put in my order yesterday for the Lavender 8520. I hate pink phones, I hate girly stuff. But I love purple so I guess I'm about half hypocrite.

Anyways, I've been lurking here awhile, trying to learn as much as I can before I get my phone, and to be honest a lot of what's being said sounds like gibberish. But I think I could be of great use in the carriers section as I do know a lot of this stuff personally.

So who else has an 8520 and what's your experience with it so far? I think it would be a good entry level smartphone for someone like me who has never had one. I get a lot of complaints about the trackball, so I'm excited about the trackpad.

Any advice for a new blackberry user as well? Especially for this model?
Old 11-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: TMO

I just got my 8520 last week after upgrading from the old 8700g. I really like this 8520 alot, especially with the Wifi. It's not 3g spped, but that only affects the browser or video. Email is just as fast on EDGE as it would be on 3g. The trackpad is the best thing about this phone. I have been using the wheel for years now, but the trackpad blows it away! especially with my bad fingers. I'll get a BB with 3g later, but for now I'm loving this one.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I had flirted with the idea of getting a blackberry for awhile, but because of all the complaints I hear about the trackball I was worried. I was going to go for a Iphone 3gs but when the 8520 came out I finally knew what phone I wanted.

It is my first smartphone, I can't wait till it get's here
Old 11-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
kunichiwax3

PIN: 2110b0fe
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

I got my 8520 two weeks ago and I've been in love with it since the day I got it . I'd always wanted a blackberry since the 8820 but I was sticking with my sidekick because the data plan was so cheap. Then this past summer I decided to upgrade to the newest sidekic, biggest mistake ever. I was having problems from day 1. After 2 replacements, t-mobile sent me the 8520. It was love from day 1, it was all glossy and pretty. I felt like a kid on Christmas. I don't know how I lived without it. I've been obsessed with trying to figure it out. The camera isn't that great but I got over that, I've had worse. I don't see myself switching to another phone for a while which says a lot because I've never kept a phone for over a year; we'll see if this 1 stands the test of time.