BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
directjj

Model: 7100T
Default Which Blackberry / Carrier / FL USA & Panama / ACT! 9.0

Please Login to Remove!

I'll be switching Cell Phone services and getting a new PDA type phone, Motorola Q, or Blackberry or something.

Since I plan to visit Panama, maybe spend some time down there and retire there in a few years I'm wondering if there is an inexpensive way to use the same Cell Phone in both Panama and the USA (FL) for both voice & data.

I was told by Verizon and Sprint that I should talk to Cingular or T-Mobil because their phones are GSM phones and V & S are not and therefore can not be made to work in Panama.

Still Cingular is talking $1.99 a minute or $2.29 a minute with or without their International Roaming package.

T-Mobil is suggesting a T-Mobile supported phone and get a prepaid account. They said after 90 days of service I'll be eligible for SIM unlock code. Not sure what impact this would have on Internet / Email functionality.

Also I own ACT! 2007 and would want to run it on the PDA/Blackberry as well as MS Office and GPS Navigation.

Appreciate comments/advice/guidance on this whole ball of wax.

"J. J."
Old 02-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
agjika

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizonwireless

i have worked in the wireless industry for 6 years (sprint-nextel and verizon wireless) and i have family that lives in panama i try and visit at least once a year. your best bet would be to get a phone in panama to use while you are there. my relatives call me on their cellphones for only 10cents per min. sometimes the carriers run promotions and the rate drops to 3 cents. there is no US cell carrier that comes close to that with international roaming.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Though make sure you can get the appropriate data plan if you intend to have email or web access while down there.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Also, when you get your phone unlocked with the sim unlock code there is no impact on any services. It allows you to use other carrier's sim cards. If the other carrier's sim card (account) includes a BB data plan then you'll still get data/email/internet. If it's just a prepaid sim card you won't get data with prepaids.
Closed Thread