BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
maxx626

Model: 8300
Carrier: att
Default does the bb have to be in the holster??

Please Login to Remove!

newbie question
iam about to switch my i600 for the 7750, and was wondering if the BB had to be kept in the holster most of the time. I noticed that the BB goes to sleep while in the holster, so i was wondering if it would be a problem to just keep the BB in my pocket and just lock the keyboard..

thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
kirson
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

It is true that you would use a bit more power if you kept the device out of the holster all the time, but the key words here are "a bit". The display uses very little power to just sit there. And you can set the screensaver to kick in and limit power usage even more. I suspect you would hardly notice the difference in power consumption. All the sleep mode does in the holster is turn off the screen.

And if you're really paranoid about power, take a small magnet and hold it to the blackberry with a rubber band in the same spot it sits on the holster -- it will turn the screen off :D
Old 08-24-2004, 02:48 PM   #3
AMCELL J
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the explanation I was about to freak because my holster broke and I am now using it with a leather case and I noticed the screen would not power off.....but if its not going to really affect bettery power its all good!!

:P :P
Old 08-24-2004, 02:48 PM   #4
maxx626

Model: 8300
Carrier: att

sounds good, thanks for the quick reply
Old 08-24-2004, 08:04 PM   #5
Skive

Unless I am putting my blackberry away in hand luggage, i never use the case with mine and it has survived fine and the battery life is not significantly affected either.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:11 PM   #6
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skive
Unless I am putting my blackberry away in hand luggage, i never use the case with mine and it has survived fine and the battery life is not significantly affected either.
Right, but Im worried that without the hard case cover, the lcd will easily crack.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:22 PM   #7
Skive

I guess it depends on how violent you are with your blackberry, i just stick mine in a pocket and its always been fine, when i remember i try not to put my keys in the same pocket, but not always. I have had a blackberry for over 3 years now and haven't had a problem.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:16 PM   #8
LL
Knows Where the Search Button Is

The best is the leather pouch. Does everything u need
Old 08-25-2004, 05:02 PM   #9
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

I got my Blackberry used without a holster....been using my pocket, LCD screen facing inwards. Have to remember not to put my keys in the same pocket though!

No significant impact on the battery life as far as I can tell, but I wish emails would automatically display as they came in -- like if you took your Blackberry out of the holster after an email notification! (Anyway to configure this?)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 08-25-2004, 05:05 PM   #10
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
I got my Blackberry used without a holster....been using my pocket, LCD screen facing inwards. Have to remember not to put my keys in the same pocket though!

No significant impact on the battery life as far as I can tell, but I wish emails would automatically display as they came in -- like if you took your Blackberry out of the holster after an email notification! (Anyway to configure this?)
Just keep a magnet into your pants ;)

haha :lol:
Old 08-25-2004, 05:06 PM   #11
Skive

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be unfortunately, i'd like to be able to switch it off whne i use mine in a holster every so often, i'd rather decide which email to read first if i have had a few arrive at once.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:15 PM   #12
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Okay, a popular request.... A software program to configure automatic display of incoming emails. Has anyone tried "WebMessenger Alerts"? Does this utility do this?

Maybe a utility to automatically display the Messages screen rather than the individual emails. Some of us used to like the automatic display of emails on the old RIM950 pagers!
Old 08-25-2004, 05:18 PM   #13
Skive

Was that the app that was mentioned on rimroad or am i mixing it up with that enhanced profile app?
Old 08-27-2004, 06:45 PM   #14
shuttlexman

Quote:
Okay, a popular request.... A software program to configure automatic display of incoming emails. Has anyone tried "WebMessenger Alerts"? Does this utility do this?

Maybe a utility to automatically display the Messages screen rather than the individual emails. Some of us used to like the automatic display of emails on the old RIM950 pagers!
My 7750 pops open new emails as long as the device is not locked.

S
Old 08-27-2004, 07:53 PM   #15
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Doesn't the emails only pop up when it's pulled out of the holster as the email alert goes off? What if there's no holster?
Old 08-27-2004, 09:35 PM   #16
Family K9

Default rugged enough

As others have mentioned it is a rugged enough device to keep in a pocket if you are reasonably careful with it. The screen on my 7280 is solid and I can't imagine it cracking from regular day to day wear. The battery life is phenomenal either in or out of holster.
Enjoy!
Nick
Old 08-28-2004, 06:51 AM   #17
JOHNGAETANO

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

maxx,

I haven't even thought about putting my 7780 in the holster. Battery life for me is outstanding compared to my old Palm T3 device. Battery life is so good, I don't even think about battery life.

John
Old 09-01-2004, 02:00 AM   #18
cyberhh
Thumbs Must Hurt

any function that has the "when removed from the holster" option will not work - as you will not be in the holster for the activity to be tripped.

I often carry my blackberry in my pocket (Docker's Mobile Pants) and it is great, but does not pop-up the new email.

I also got rid of the holster, got the leather case, excellent choice.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:17 AM   #19
TomS

Model: 7290
Default BB Holster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCELL J
Thanks for the explanation I was about to freak because my holster broke and I am now using it with a leather case and I noticed the screen would not power off.....but if its not going to really affect bettery power its all good!!

:P :P

My holster also broke pretty soon after purchase of the 7290 (the belt clip must break off a lot I think). Trying to replace the holster from the original supplier in Australia was hopeless. What I ended up doing is buy one of the many different after market digital camera belt pouches, just wide and deep enough to take the plastic holster minus the clip. With a few stiches to prevent the holster to come out with the phone every time I still get the familiar click and the power saving features. The Velcro strap holding the pouch on the belt is certain not to break ....
Old 07-27-2005, 12:04 PM   #20
legendl

Model: 7290

I would imagine there are leather cases or any kind of pouches that has a Magnet much like the holster, that way,it would work the same way?

I have my 7290 for only a week, so I am a newbie.

In addition, does anyone know if there is a holder for a BB while in the car? It's kind of hard to pull it our of the holster to answer calls, I am planning to go bluetooth however, I will still need a holder may be attached on the dash board so I can dial with one hand?

Ducane
Closed Thread