Old 07-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #21
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default gap

Please Login to Remove!

putting something inbetween the cover and the body of the tour only increases the gap between the backcover and the body. The person who suggested the electrical tape on the inside surface of where the backcover clip holds to the body has a solution that is better, I think. I previously used a folded over piece of paper on the underside of that surface. It was really hard to get in there properly, but I was afraid of tape glue melting from heat. Have you noticed that the Tour gets hot when a program with a lot of access to the internet is running? The tape on the undersurface of the attachment point is probably better because it draws the cover closer to the body and helps to keep the dirt out of the back. The heat gun sounds best, but I'm afraid of it. Is a heat gun the same as a hair dryer? I know I'm crazy to even try this, but I'm curious.
Thanks.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #22
stevenmz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhw View Post
putting something inbetween the cover and the body of the tour only increases the gap between the backcover and the body. The person who suggested the electrical tape on the inside surface of where the backcover clip holds to the body has a solution that is better, I think. I previously used a folded over piece of paper on the underside of that surface. It was really hard to get in there properly, but I was afraid of tape glue melting from heat. Have you noticed that the Tour gets hot when a program with a lot of access to the internet is running? The tape on the undersurface of the attachment point is probably better because it draws the cover closer to the body and helps to keep the dirt out of the back. The heat gun sounds best, but I'm afraid of it. Is a heat gun the same as a hair dryer? I know I'm crazy to even try this, but I'm curious.
Thanks.
Heat guns can be used to strip paint. I would think twice before putting one of those close to your Tour.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

well you take the back cover off and put the actual device somewhere else.....

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #24
MizLiz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Tour

My back cover is loose too. I don't want to mess around with my phone, so i have a 2-piece snap hard cover on order. This worked great with the Curve. $14.95 at Crackberry.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #25
9duc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by complexx View Post
Try placing some electrical tape on on the surface where the latch of the door holds onto the device. Maybe 2 layers. It won't be easy to get the tape in there, but doing it in this manner will pull the door closer to the device and reduce the gap. I dont think it will reduce the side to side movement, but I'd rather have the gap closed. It essentially does the same thing as heating and bending the cover. Worth a try, I have not tried it yet.
I did this, put electrical tape on the UNDERSIDE of where the latch holds onto the device. It holds the door tight, and reduces the gap...
Old 07-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #26
esfoad

PIN: 30B42B94
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I did a similar fix to what duc9 did but instead of electrical tape I used the sticky portion of a Post-It note and folded that in half over the opening where the latch fits. I used Post-It because the glue is not permanent and does not transfer to plastic like electrical tape after time.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:26 AM   #27
bell30012

They must have fixed the issue because I picked up my new Tour yesterday and the battery cover is nice and snug. No movement, no rattle.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #28
nosidam
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell30012 View Post
They must have fixed the issue because I picked up my new Tour yesterday and the battery cover is nice and snug. No movement, no rattle.
Any chance you could post a pic of the inside of the cover and the back of the BB?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:33 PM   #29
Andyn

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T / Verizon

Don't understand why they didn't outfit it with a metal door like the Storm. Guess you could always get a Seidio extended battery and door when they are available.

www.twitter.com/SgtAndyNorris
Old 08-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #30
Joe1004

Model: Z10
PIN: t of ale anyone?
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell30012 View Post
I agree. I had to swap mine because it had a dead pixel on the screen and the door fits very snugly with no gaps and no wiggling. It is still a breeze to take off.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #31
CafeRacer808

A double layer of electrical tape cut into the same sized squares outlined above did the trick for me. Thanks for the suggestion DC-WiFi.com!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #32
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: VZW

My solution was to take a small piece of scotch tape, rip into little rectangles, then stack 3 on top of each other. Push one end under where the latches connect and fold over the edge and the top. Battery door is tight as a drum and does not increase gap between door and unit. Mine doesn't look very neat, but it works and took me about one minute. It's tight enough so that when I snap the door back on, I have to gently push the latch button back down to it's locked position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	456.3 KB
ID:	16902  
Old 08-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #33
Shotiime11

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
My solution was to take a small piece of scotch tape, rip into little rectangles, then stack 3 on top of each other. Push one end under where the latches connect and fold over the edge and the top. Battery door is tight as a drum and does not increase gap between door and unit. Mine doesn't look very neat, but it works and took me about one minute. It's tight enough so that when I snap the door back on, I have to gently push the latch button back down to it's locked position.
I jsut tried this after not being able to get the door to stay tight without a huge gap and this works! Must be the positioning of the tape on the BB. Door is snug and the wobble is gone. Sad we have to do this but if anyone else has the wobble issue this works great!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #34
gboss

Default Two in one Fix (Pull Tab)

I'm on my 4th Tour now, all due to the trackball issue, and finally have one that seems to be working perfectly with regard to the trackball. All four of my Tour's had the loose cover on the back but I solved this and another problem at the same time.

The other problem I had was taking the battery out of the Tour. I bought a couple of extra batteries on ebay (~$10 - highly recommend it) but the design for removing the batteries was a serious setback for me. I don't have fat fingers but it was a pain trying to get the battery out and on one of my batteries I had to use two small screw drivers to pry it out. Very bad design.

Turns out that solving the battery problem also fixed the loose back cover problem. What I did was use some wide packing tape to create a "pull tab" that would let me pull the battery out easily. Just cut off a piece of clear packing tape about 1 3/4 by 1 1/2 inches. stick it on the back of the battery about half way and wrap it around the small edge (width) and leave the rest of it free. Now stick another piece of tape on the last part hanging over the top of the battery. You might want to trim it if there is an overlap.

This gives you a pull tab that allows you to remove the battery easily and it also accomplishes the same thing as the black tap on the bottom side of the cover. It keeps the cover perfectly snug, still let's you easily open it and also let's you replace batteries in a snap.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #35
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys

I cut up a piece of an unused BSE to fill the gap and it works perfectly:

Old 10-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #36
qwick

Model: Tour
Carrier: SprintPCS

-this is a good fix as well
additionally - there are improvements in the new units. my initial tour was from the first batch and had battery (random restarts) and trackball issues but called to get a replacement and thus far both are improved and the fit and finsih appears to be drastically improved.

Visual Stenographers
Old 10-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #37
dkh7m

Here's another fix that I've implemented:

1. Go to CVS or your local pharmacy and buy a roll of NexCare waterproof First Aid Tape. Buy Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape 1 Inch X 5 Yards online at CVS.com

2. Cut a very narrow strip (about 2-3mm wide) off the end.

3. Take off the battery cover. On the phone, between the memory card slot and the battery there's a narrow (2-3mm wide) indention that's about an inch long. (You see where this is going?)

4. Put your 1" x 2-3mm strip of foam first aid tape in that indention. Your battery door will fit snugly w/ little or no wiggle and the indention helps prevent the battery door from bulging up and causing gaps.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #38
diffused
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10

That's clever. My rig isn't that good so I will do it! As far as the battery being hard to remove, lay a narrow strip of ribbon or what have you, across the battery opening before inserting it. Then to remove just pull up on the ribbon. All these RIGS!!!
Closed Thread