Old 06-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #1
cdysthe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Hosted personal BES access.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I would like to consider signing up for hosted BES access for my Blackberry. I am a personal user with a few e-mail accounts I access from my BB. Could someone please recommend a service that isn't too expensive but relaible (if such a thing even exists)?

TIA for help and/or pointers.

//C
Old 06-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
strobate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

ExchangeMyMail has been excellent (until this morning when they had an outage). There's a 10% discount available under the sponsors section (off approximately $20).

Mail2web offers Exchange and BES for around $12, I think @ mail2web.com.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Wirelessly posted (7250: BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

The company in my signature offers great service. And I've not experienced an outage since I signed up last summer.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
cdysthe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobate
ExchangeMyMail has been excellent (until this morning when they had an outage). There's a 10% discount available under the sponsors section (off approximately $20).

Mail2web offers Exchange and BES for around $12, I think @ mail2web.com.
Thanks! One thing I need to understand is if I can use one of their accounts for the two e-mail accounts I am currently receiving through IMAP on my BB. I need to be able to reply with the same address as the e-mail was addressed to. Since the BB mail client doesn't have any kind of personality settings (unbeleiveable!) I need to be able to handle two mailboxes separately. Do you know if I can send from more than one email address with these accounts? (I know I can probably receive from many)

/C
Old 06-16-2006, 01:47 AM   #5
hbomb341
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: AT&T

There is an app call BBReply that can handle the multiple address ... Who is your provider BIS 2.0 should also support this.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdysthe
Since the BB mail client doesn't have any kind of personality settings (unbeleiveable!) I need to be able to handle two mailboxes separately. Do you know if I can send from more than one email address with these accounts? (I know I can probably receive from many)
It's believeable. I'm guessing your carrier hasn't upgraded to BIS 2.0 which would fulfill that need for you. A BES account won't do that for you. While it's supposedly possible to attach two BES/Exchange accounts it's really only designed for one.

BIS 1.8 should allow to to specify the from: address that you want people to see. If you use BIS 1.8 for one email account and BES for another account, you can easily pick between the two addresses.

Most of the hosting providers can offer aliasing or hosting for your email address/domain. You'll need to check with the hosting provider you're looking into.

From what you've said so far though, it sounds like BIS 2.0 would be a better solution for you.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
cdysthe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbomb341
There is an app call BBReply that can handle the multiple address ... Who is your provider BIS 2.0 should also support this.
My provider is T-Mobile. I am too new to my 8700 and BB in general to know what T-Mobile are using on the back-end. My e-mail provider is using Courier IMAP so right now I am not having outgoing mail stored on the server. I would like to have that, and of course e-mail push which is provided by BES. But again, I need to be able to handle my two accounts independently for replies without having to do anything but hit "reply" and get the correct "From" address set.

/C
Old 06-16-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdysthe
I am not having outgoing mail stored on the server. I would like to have that, and of course e-mail push which is provided by BES.
I have a config at my ISP that forwards selected emails to my BB's own address (mail's pushed from the ISP so it's quick to arrive)

The BB/BIS has a custom From address, so I don't publish my BB's own address

I have my Blackberry/BIS BCC all outgoing mail back to my ISP and a a filter at the ISP that does NOT forward mail FROM me to my BB (so I don't see mail sent from my BB coming back to my BB as a result of the BCC)

I also have a rule at the ISP mark mail from me as read, so I don't see mail BCC's from my BB as new incoming mail.

Not perfect, but it works. I happen to use Fastmail.fm as my ISP for mail. Not perfect (small but enthusiastic operation, so they have problems frequently but fix them quick). Cool is that they support a scripting language (SIEVE) to parse and perform actions on incoming mail, so it's *extremely* flexible. They also are very keen on IMAP (support POP3 too).

Looking forwards to BIS 2 so I should be able to do all this with multiple From addresses on my BB too.

Last edited by wibbly; 06-16-2006 at 09:44 AM..
Closed Thread