BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
Cryptex

Model: 8700C
Default My BB 8700c lcd displays white only all icons disappeared

Please Login to Remove!

Hi
I'm posting this after I reached a dead end.
I live and work outside the US and non of the wireless companies here deal with BlackBerry devices.
Anyway about 4 months ago I asked a friend who was visiting the US to get me an unlocked Blackberry 8700c and he bought it for me from ebay.
The device arrived with the cingular logo on it but since it was unlocked I inserted a sim card of a local cellular company and started to use it mainly as a phone and a PDA.
after a month or so the screen suddenly displayed a white color only and all what was displayed on the screen disappeared.
I immediately (or should I say instinctively) made a soft reset and this caused the lcd to come to life again.
Now you might think its not an lcd problem but an error that caused the device OS to crash. well the problem was far more than just an error.
after a few days the same think happened and the number of times in which I had to do a soft reset increased gradually over the weaks that followed and by then a soft reset was not even enuogh and I had to take the battery out and insert it back in order to get rid of the white screen but later on, even this wasn't solving the problem and removing the battery and insertuing it back wasn't doing any good.
Since the hard reset wasn't helping I left the device as it is but suddenly the screen turned on when I received a phonecall (yes the phone was working despite the loss of display) the receiving of the phonecall caused the screen to come to life again and I thought that the problem has disappeared but about a weak ago the screen suddenly displayed white only and since then it refuses to display anything else.
I did 1000 soft and hard resets and I upgraded the Os and installed the latest software, I even used javaloader to completely wipe the software (although I don't no if it did or not because the damn screen will not show any mark whatsoever) I reinstalled the software and uploaded all apps and synchronized maybe 50 times with no luck.
Now I know of the WSOD (white screen of death) and for a few days I thought that this is the case but what made me change my mind is the fact that the phone is still sending and receiving calls and it rings too and I can even turn it off by turning the wheel down untill it reaches the icon that turns the divice off and clicking the wheel. (ofcourse I cant see the icon but since its the last icon on the cingular theme then its no problem).
So what do we have here? WSOD or a software problem or is it a problem with the LCD or hardware.
It would be a great help If anyone knows the answer to this one because returning the device back is not easy from where I'm right now.

p.s. I contacted BlackBerry's support service but all they did was redirecting me to cingular whome I havn't contacted yet because I'm not their client.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
besadmin23
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

under the battery door on the lower left corner do you see a small square piece of tape that is White or Red??? If it is white, I don't know what the prob with the bb is. If it is Red, your BB has gotten wet and that is the prob. That is a water detection sticker and it turns red when it gets wet. I have had one of my customers BB do the same thing yours is doing but it started after he got his wet from a big splash. Not total submerssion. Sorry if it's red.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:48 AM   #3
Cryptex

The sticker is white.
Good to know what that sticker is for. thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 06:02 AM   #4
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Are you sure someone's not playing a trick on you and hid ALL your icons? (That WOULD be pretty funny!)

Hold down the [ALT] (or ) key and then click the wheel. If there's NOT a check next to "Show All Icons", select that. All hidden icons will appear with an X over them. Select an icon, and use [ALT] Click and select HIDE APPLICATION (which should have a Check next to it) for it to display, or if you want all the icons, just select SHOW ALL.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
Cryptex

When I said that the icons "disappeared" it was to give an Idea on how my screen looks like but its not just that. the problem is that my screen lights a solid white nothing else shows on it, no background picture nothing. and when I click the wheel nothing shows up.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
Cryptex

Just wanted to add that the device boots up and all apps are functioning, I know this for sure but the screen is still solid white. any ideas?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
SamBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers
Default Not possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD
Are you sure someone's not playing a trick on you and hid ALL your icons? (That WOULD be pretty funny!)

Hold down the [ALT] (or ) key and then click the wheel. If there's NOT a check next to "Show All Icons", select that. All hidden icons will appear with an X over them. Select an icon, and use [ALT] Click and select HIDE APPLICATION (which should have a Check next to it) for it to display, or if you want all the icons, just select SHOW ALL.

FYI, JerryD, it is not possible to hide all of the icons. Certain key ones cannot be hidden.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBerry
FYI, JerryD, it is not possible to hide all of the icons. Certain key ones cannot be hidden.
I'm using the Cingular Theme, and I can hide every icon on the main screen - nothing showing except the indicators at the top (time, signal, battery, etc) and my wallpaper (home screen image)! It's very strange, and would be a great prank to play on someone.

Remember, it's a CINGULAR theme, so....

Old 08-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
Cryptex

If you can tell me how to make the indicators at the top (time, signal, battery, etc) to be displayed on my device then it could solve the problem since these are missing too.
what I got is a device that seems to have been hit by a WSOD but is still working. every thing is working apart from the screen.
Like in a coma where the body is functioning but the person looks dead.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
Cryptex

At last the Mystery is solved. After 3 months of search I finally manged to fix the problem.

After trying almost everything without having to open the device, I came to the conclusion that the lcd is not properly connected to the motherboard.

I opened the device using a T6 screwdriver and found that the connection between the motherboared and the LCD was loose so I connected it properly and the lcd display came to life again.
Closed Thread