BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
aaadams

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Reqwireless WebViewer - Error Cannot Open Input Stream

Please Login to Remove!

I am new to both blackberries and this forum. I did a search but could not find an answer to my question.

When I first installed the Webviewer (both trial and purchased product), it worked great! I could access any website I tried. Then all of a sudden, it stopped handling secure websites (specificlly rim.avantgo.com). When I try to access any secure website, I get the above error (cannot open input stream). I tried all the suggestions on the Reqwireless website (reload application, clear application data, etc) with no luck. I finally opened a ticket and they tried to help me also with no luck. The final conclusion was that the problem was either my firmware or my service provider. I find this a little "fishy" but being a new blackberry user, anything is possible. I have used the latest firmware since day one. So the firmware was the same when it worked and now that it stopped working. As for as my service provider, given the issues I have had with Cingular occassionally turning off my data service, anything is possible. But all other applications that use direct TCP are working.

One intersting note. When I did the last clear application data and re-boot (remove battery), my TCP setting disappeared (subject for another post). Anyway, when I re-entered them, I made a typo. Interestingly, I got the same error from the WebViewer application. This implies (at least to me) that the problem is before it even tries to access the network (since it could not due to the typo). I noticed the typo when I ran another application that uses direct TCP and it gave me an error that lead me to the TCP settings. Once I fixed it, all other direct TCP applications were working again, but the Webviewer gave the same error.

My questions - has anyone successfully solved this problem (either with a change on the blackberrry or a change by the service provider)?

Background:

BB Model: 7290
Provider: Cingular
Access: Non-BES (have corpate BES only for e-mail and calendar). All other applications use direct TCP (based on set from this forum)
Firmware: Latest from Cingular that was issued on March 7

Thanks in adavnce for any help

Anthony Adams
Closed Thread