Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
jeffshly

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Applications Memory

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, everyone. I'm new to the BlackBerry world having just started a new job and, with that job, I was given a BlackBerry Bold 9000. It's already set up for my company e-mail.

I'm having a problem with a miniscule amount of available applications memory. The amount of memory constantly decreases and sometimes results in my seeing the "winding clock" icon when a phone call comes in, which leaves me unable to answer it.

I've read enough of these forums to know that of the 1GB memory available on the 9000, only 128MB of is is available for applications. I also realize that I wasted $50 on an 8GB memory card because apps can't be installed to it. I'm hoping that I can get some guidance from the BlackBerry gurus on this forum on how I can relieve the problem I face.

Here are the particulars on my phone:
- After a battery pull reset, I'm left with 23.5MB of free space. I see this number by opening BlackBerry App World and going to the "My World" tab. During the course of a day, this number frequently decreases down to 0KB.
- I don't have any media - pictures, music, videos - at all on this BlackBerry.
- In my "Applications" folder, I have the following apps, most of which, evidently, come pre-installed on the BlackBerry because it doesn't let me delete them: MobiTV, Get Mobile Banking, My-Cast Weather, Tasks, Calculator, Clock, Files, Voice Dialing, and Search.
- In my "Games" folder, I have the following games which cannot be deleted: Tetris, Scrabble, Bejeweled, Pac-Man by Namco, and BrickBreaker. I've never played these games, and accordingly, when I try to click one, I'm routed to a page that tells me I have to agree to terms to install.
- In my "Downloads" folder, I have the following apps. These apps are apps that I downloaded and installed from BlackBerry App World and that I use frequently. Also listed are the file sizes as noted from within BlackBerry App World: DriveSafe.ly (941KB), Caller ID Reader (570KB), ScanLife Barcode Reader (839KB), and BatteryWatch (1.2MB).
- I have moved a bunch of things I don't use into a folder called "Things I Don't Use." These are all things that I cannot uninstall/delete: Facebook, MySpace, Yellowpages.com Mobile, Twitter, Mobile Video, AT&T Mall, AT&T Mobile Web, and Visual Voice Mail.
- I also have the following apps preinstalled prior to my receiving the phone. These are listed in my "Menu" screen and I'm not sure of how much space they take up: Messages, SMS and MMS, BlackBerry Messenger, Browser, Contacts, Calendar, BlackBerry App World, AT&T Navigator, Maps, Camera, Video Camera, Voice Notes Recorder, Call Log, Setup, Sounds, Manage Connections, Settings, Help, Media, Lock, and AT&T Music.
- In Settings -> Options -> About, I was able to find what I believe is the OS version - v5.0.0.822 (Bundle 1385, Platform 5.2.0.76)
- I do have a Bluetooth headset enabled and I can tether this BlackBerry to my PC via BlackBerry Desktop Software. I'd guess these features require some application memory as well, but I have no way of knowing how much.

That's about everything I can provide regarding my configuration without specific instructions on how to do so. Can anyone here give me some advice on what I can do to keep my BlackBerry from going into a temporary "hang state" in the afternoon? At this point, my only recourse has been to pull my battery at lunch time.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Default Re: Applications Memory

Delete any apps that you don't use.
If you're having a hard time deciding which ones you want to keep... then I recommend deleting all third-party apps and then add them back one at a time as you need them.

Third party apps leak memory if they're poorly designed. I'd guess that one or more of your apps are causing a problem.

Also, AT&T Navigator takes up a lot of space if I remember correctly.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
jeffshly

Is there a way to delete the crap that AT&T puts on the phone prior to selling? Most of what I don't use above cannot be deleted.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

The virtual pre-loads from your carrier (AT&T crap) aren't really applications. They're just shortcuts to download the application. They don't take up any space or use any resources.
Just hide them. If you delete them, they'll be pushed back to your device upon your next reboot.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
adperdue
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: wheel
Carrier: ATT

Since you can't delete them, and already have moved them into a folder, hide the folder. Out of sight, out of mind.

Talk to your IT guy about memory leaks. Also try deleting apps one by one, rebooting and using the berry for a day, til the memory leak dissapears, and that one will be the culprit.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
jeffshly

I really appreciate the advice, folks. Thanks very much.
Closed Thread