BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 03:26 AM   #1
Ted Harper

Model: 7290
Default Headset user experience - normal?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there:

I have a Sony HBH-30 Bluetooth headset which I am using with my Blackberry (7290). It works just fine - no problem pairing, no dropouts - and I already owned it so I thought I'd use it with my Blackberry rather than buying a new one just for the sake of it.

I would just like people experienced with other/newer Bluetooth headsets to tell me if they get a better user experience with their Blackberries than I am getting now, so I can decide if I would be any better buying a new one.

The scenario in both cases below is that the headset and blackberry are on, and already paired (and the headset is set as a "trusted" device on the Blackberry).

1. Receiving calls: The headset rings on about the second ring, and the call can be answered by pressing the button on the headset.

2. Making calls: I have to make the call on the Blackberry keypad, then - once it is ringing - I have to transfer the call to the headset by popping up a menu and transferring the call from the Blackberry. That is, I don't seem able to make the headset automatically used for a call I am originating.

3. Hanging-up: I can hang up the call by either holding the escape key on the Blackberry or pressing the button on the headset, *but* the Bluetooth connection appears to stay established (ie showing the "<>" icon next to the Bluetooth one on the Blackberry) even after I hang up, which will run the batteries down on both the headset and Blackberry much faster than is necessary. I have to power off/on the headset (so the Blackberry sees the Bluetooth connection as being lost) or turn off/on the Bluetooth in the Blackberry in order for the Bluetooth connection to be dropped.

My questions are specifically does anyone have a headset which will automatically "enlist" in a call that I am originating from the Blackberry (ie without having to manipulate the Blackberry menu after the call has started ringing), and does that headset also "correctly" cause disconnection of the Bluetooth connection when the call is finished?

Are these issues because of the Blackberry firmware version (4.0), or the model (7290)? If I just have to put up with it, regardless of which make/model headset I use, I guess that's ok - saves me some money - but I couldn't find out from searching the forum archives if this is the case or not.

Thanks,

ted.h.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:29 AM   #2
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Harper
1. Receiving calls: The headset rings on about the second ring, and the call can be answered by pressing the button on the headset.
I think my headsets ring pretty much right away. There might be some lag, but I don't know if the headset lags by one full ring. IIRC it's pretty much simultaneous.

Quote:
2. Making calls: I have to make the call on the Blackberry keypad, then - once it is ringing - I have to transfer the call to the headset by popping up a menu and transferring the call from the Blackberry. That is, I don't seem able to make the headset automatically used for a call I am originating.
This isn't normal. I mean, I can only redial if I don't pull out my Blackberry but the headset works right away and there's no transferring necessary.

Quote:
3. Hanging-up: I can hang up the call by either holding the escape key on the Blackberry or pressing the button on the headset, *but* the Bluetooth connection appears to stay established (ie showing the "<>" icon next to the Bluetooth one on the Blackberry) even after I hang up, which will run the batteries down on both the headset and Blackberry much faster than is necessary. I have to power off/on the headset (so the Blackberry sees the Bluetooth connection as being lost) or turn off/on the Bluetooth in the Blackberry in order for the Bluetooth connection to be dropped.
This is normal. If you don't want the Bluetooth connection maintainted then you have to turn the headset off. This is one reason why the combined folding boom and power switch feature on the Motorola HS810 and the HS850 are really nice to have. It was very convenient to just fold the boom and pocket the headset when not on a call.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:00 AM   #3
Ted Harper

Default Sounds like mine IS less than ideal

Thanks for the information, it sounds like mine is rather less than ideal, which is a pity because it is a nice unit and actually performs just fine once the call is laced-up with it.

It sounds like the "normal" behaviour I _should_ be seeing then (with the headset and BB paired successfully and both switched on, but not otherwise manually activated/linked before the particular call, and 4.0 firmware on my BB) is:

* Answering a call: headset starts to ring almost immediately and the call can be picked up and automatically transferred to the headset speaker/mic by pressing the button on the headset (or hitting Answer on the BB itself); ie no manual transfer needs to be done.

* Dialling a call: when you dial the number on the BB, the headset is automatically "activated" for the call; ie no manual transfer to the needs to be done via the BB menu once the number has been dialled and is ringing.

* Hanging-up: Bluetooth connection to the headset does remain connected after the call has completed (less than ideal I guess, but at least I know that's how it is with the current BB firmware).

Is that a good summary about how it "should" be?

BTW if a particular Bluetooth headset doesn't meet up with this (eg it doesn't automatically transfer the call to the headset when you dial on the BB - like my current one doesn't), would it have been mentioned in the reviews in the sticky thread at the top of this forum?

ted.h.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

That's correct based on my experiences with several Bluetooth headsets and a Cingular 7290. I don't know why there would be such inconsistent behavior with different models of headsets.

With regard to having to transfer the call to the headset, did you go into Options/Setting->Bluetooth, choose Device Properties (click the wheel) for the headset and set "Trusted" to "Yes"? It's the only thing I can think of that might be keeping the headset from automatically picking up calls. I doubt this is the case but it might help.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
Ted Harper

Default Definitely set as Trusted

Thanks, but it is definitely set as a "trusted" device, and I don't get that extra prompting dialog to give it permission to connect each time.

My headset simply doesn't want to get involved in a call dialled from the Blackberry unless I manually transfer it via the BB menu once the outgoing call is ringing. It is a few years old, and works "properly" with the Ericsson phone I originally bought it for, so based on the feedback in this thread I'm now guessing there is just some incompatability between its Bluetooth implementation and what the 4.0 firmware in the BB is expecting.

I've actually gone back to a "wired" handsfree with the BB in the car now, just because I have found that manual sending of outgoing calls to my Bluetooth headset to be too difficult when driving.

My main car is a convertible, so in a few months (it is winter down here now so the roof is always closed and hence no particular hurry) I'll probably buy a new bluetooth headset of some other brand that is well thought of in the Reviews thread, mainly for the noise-cancelling and tight in-your-ear earpiece that some of them are coming out with now (and which the wired headset doesn't have).

Thanks again,

ted.h.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:21 PM   #6
sam2005

Cool What Head set do you recomend?

HI I am in search of new headsets for my employees. We currently have the HS820 but we are experiencing loud wind noise and backround noise. We are in the construction business so we are mostly outdoors or in the vehicles. Can you please help?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:47 AM   #7
wilsonwong

Thumbs up

I just bought a BT headset, Scala 500, for my new 7290. One time and easy setup. I used it for the whole day and it just worked great. No calls dropped. Sound is good. Fully compatible.

My 7290 is v4.0.0.219.
Closed Thread