Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
dmbascfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW
Default BES 5.0 Migration Question...

Please Login to Remove!

Okay...so I first need to apologize to everyone for wasting their time with this question. I know the answer but my customer wants me to ask it anyway...so here it goes:

Environment:
BES 4.1.6 across 2 servers
Exchange 2007
No HA for BES, Exchange or SQL
Approx 650 spread across 15 different model handhelds and 5 carriers

So, I had proposed to use the Transporter Utility to move the users to the new BES 5.0 box but I found that it requires a Handheld OS of 4.3.0.x. And of course, only 30 of our devices are in compliance. So, is there any other way to migrated these users seamlessly...without doing an in-place upgrade?

I say no...but someone else may have an idea?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
dmbascfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Oh, they also do not want to have to upgrade everyone's handheld first as that would be "too big of a project"
Old 06-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

move all the users to a single BES, uninstall the second BES, upgrade the first in place, and then install the 2nd BES.

... but that is an in-place upgrade. You could knife edge it from server1 to server2 also.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
dmbascfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
move all the users to a single BES, uninstall the second BES, upgrade the first in place, and then install the 2nd BES.

... but that is an in-place upgrade. You could knife edge it from server1 to server2 also.
The in-place is what I'm trying to avoid because of the risk. While I've been administering BES since 4.0, I've never had a problem doing an in-place. That being said, it doesnt necessarily mean it will work in this case. And I dont know about a knife-edge because then everyone will need to reactivate, yes?

My fear is that if the in-place fails for some reason, I'm probably looking at a lengthy outage as I know there is no real "rollback" to the previous version. Unfortunately, we are coming to the end of our contract and my boss has spoken very strongly about "keeping our noses clean" for the next several months. A lengthy BB outage is not something I'm willing to lose my job over...LOL...
Old 06-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
GeneralD

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

This is from the Documenation. You had mentioned 4.3.0 but that seems like the unsupported version. Correct me if I am wrong here.........

BlackBerry® Device Software The BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter supports the following versions of the BlackBerry
Device Software:
xxx8226; BlackBerry Device Software versions 4.0.2 to 4.6 (except for version 4.3.0)
xxx8226; BlackBerry Device Software versions later than version 4.0.0 but earlier than version
Old 06-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
dmbascfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

OMG...you're absolutely right. WOW...I'm gonna have to heat some crow over this...oh well...shows what you get when you dont read the documentation correctly...LOL
Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbascfan View Post
The in-place is what I'm trying to avoid because of the risk.
We live in a world with risk everywhere ... mitigate it. This is a recommended method to upgrade by the vendor; you should feel comfortable with it.

Quote:
While I've been administering BES since 4.0, I've never had a problem doing an in-place.
You've just proven your own point.

Quote:
That being said, it doesnt necessarily mean it will work in this case.
True ... it also doesn't mean you'll cross the street today and not get hit by a bus.

Quote:
And I don't know about a knife-edge because then everyone will need to reactivate, yes?
Absolutely not.

Quote:
My fear is that if the in-place fails for some reason, I'm probably looking at a lengthy outage as I know there is no real "rollback" to the previous version.
Sure there is; restore from backup.

Quote:
Unfortunately, we are coming to the end of our contract and my boss has spoken very strongly about "keeping our noses clean" for the next several months.
So you're looking for the safest way to do this ... sounds like you're not confident at all with the upgrade process. If that is the case, spend the $250, call T-Support and have them on the phone with you when you do the upgrade.

Quote:
A lengthy BB outage is not something I'm willing to lose my job over...LOL...
If you lose your job over a failed upgrade by which you followed the appropriate procedures on then you have something bigger to worry about.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
dmbascfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

All valid counter-points. The best thing to do is stand up the new environment and that will get me familiar with the whole process. I've done in-place upgrades before...but never a knife-edge...so I am not very confident in that respect.

Thanks Hdawg...you always speak the truth. I'll end the pain now...lol
Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
All valid counter-points. The best thing to do is stand up the new environment and that will get me familiar with the whole process. I've done in-place upgrades before...but never a knife-edge...so I am not very confident in that respect.

Thanks Hdawg...you always speak the truth. I'll end the pain now...lol
More than glad to help! Now do that upgrade!!! ... but do a backup first
Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
dmbascfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

I did read a bit on the knife-edge and see where it will send service books to the devices so it wont require an upgrade. Regardless, I'm going to build a new 5.0 environment on VM's and configure it properly before migrating the users. I also read up on creating the pool for the Admin service...pretty cool stuff.

As you can tell, I'm just paranoid. When you're a contractor, the littlest stuff can get you removed from a contract...I need to go govie...LOL
Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #11
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

... I feel your pain. I always feel that I have to be 100%. That said, remember no one is perfect, just make sure you always take it back to basics. Do your research, document, and ask questions!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
dmbascfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

LOL...I think part 1 is where I failed initially (research). I'm fairly decent at documentation and I think it's obvious I have no problems asking questions...LOL

Thanks again for all of your help. I'm going back through the Install Guide right now and actually reading it instead of skimming over it...
Old 06-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
...I'm going back through the Install Guide right now and actually reading it instead of skimming over it...
#1 best advice right there. Read that documentation ... while at times it certainly sucks, it does serve as a very good basis of understanding.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon Droid

Ok, I think I'm confused.

We're running BES 4.1.6.14, I have 100 devices. I run it on a Virtual Machine so I can easily take a snapshot before I do my upgrade to 5.0.

I also read that the inplace upgrade is recommended.

So that is what I was going to do. What's this transporter tool? I don't need to use that since I only have one server to upgrade, right?

I was under the impression that since I'm a small shop all i have to do is run the 5.0 update executable and let it do its thing and be done with it...90% of my devices are 4.2.x and 10% are 4.1.x

Or am I missing something?

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread...
Old 06-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

THREADHIJACKER!!!!!

The transporter tool is if you're going to consolidate BlackBerry Configuration Databases. You're not going to do this. It is a simple click click next for you.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by usererror View Post
Ok, I think I'm confused.

We're running BES 4.1.6.14, I have 100 devices. I run it on a Virtual Machine so I can easily take a snapshot before I do my upgrade to 5.0.

I also read that the inplace upgrade is recommended.

So that is what I was going to do. What's this transporter tool? I don't need to use that since I only have one server to upgrade, right?

I was under the impression that since I'm a small shop all i have to do is run the 5.0 update executable and let it do its thing and be done with it...90% of my devices are 4.2.x and 10% are 4.1.x

Or am I missing something?

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread...
Assuming your BESMgmt SQL database is on that same VM, then you're not missing aything.
If it's on some other machine, then the only thing you're missing is the step where you BACK UP THE SQL DATABASE.

In-place upgrade is quite simple and painless... especially for a small environment.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #17
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Assuming your BESMgmt SQL database is on that same VM, then you're not missing aything.
If it's on some other machine, then the only thing you're missing is the step where you BACK UP THE SQL DATABASE.

In-place upgrade is quite simple and painless... especially for a small environment.
Oh, yes, critical detail left out, the SQL DB is on the SAME server as the BES Software, so the snapshot would include SQL.

Oh, does anyone know how much additional disk space the new version will take up, off hand? I've got 2GB free disk space on the VM...probably need to expand it.

To the O.P. when do you normally do your downtimes for BES? I do mine at night time ~ 2am since no one uses them at that time, do your users really use their handhelds that late at night?

Last edited by usererror; 06-18-2009 at 09:54 AM..
Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #18
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

You'll be fine with that amount of space. Personally, I'd add a few gig to keep more logs locally.
Closed Thread