Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
copout221
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel / Sprint
Thumbs down Otterbox is damaging my 8350I

Please Login to Remove!

I put my 8350i inside a brand new Otterbox (new design) that I received three days ago. I absolutely loved this case until several people told me they could hear an echo and I sounded like I my voice was muffled. So today I took the case off and began to inspect it carefully to determine if there was anything I could do to fix the echo and microphone issues. As I looked at the screen of my BB I noticed some scratches up near the status light. After looking closer the scratches looked like the number 2 I was very upset since I just got this new BB last week and couldn't wait for the Otterbox to arrive so I could protect it. I carefully inspected the inside of the case that sits on the screen and noticed a raised number 2 that was molded into the plastic of the Otterbox. This is what is causing the damage to the screen of my BB.
I sent an EMail to Otterbox about this issue and haven't heard anything back yet. I decided to attempt to polish the scratches with Meguires Scratch X for clear plastic and it helped but the impression is still visible. After some careful thinking I grabbed my trusty drummel tool and used it to grind the raised 2 off of the Otterbox case so nothing is raised up above the surface. In addition, I noticed that there is another area of raised boxes (like a checkerboard) on the opposite side of the case that could potentially cause more damage to the screen of my BB. Basically, I was able to remove the raised areas on the plastic that were resting on the screen to my phone. I fairly certain this will stop any future damage but nothing is guaranteed.

I would suggest anyone reading this who has an Otterbox takes it off and inspects it immediately. You may be in for a surprise when you see the impression in the screen of your phone. Others may not care but I am very picky and I bought this $50.00 case to avoid damage, not cause it !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00014-20090204-1148.jpg (442.9 KB, 239 views)
Old 02-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
OtterBox

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default OtterBox for BlackBerry Curve 8350i

Hi copout221—

I was shocked to see your forum comment!!! I’m so sorry to hear that. I just ran this by our customer service department and they haven’t heard of this happening. They also don’t have an email from you (or anyone with a similar issue). Can you email them again at customer (dot) service (at) otterbox (dot) com? Be sure to include the photo as well.

Thanks so much for the feedback on this!

Best Regards,
Kristin Golliher
Public Relations Executive
Old 02-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
nah.uhh

Model: 8310
Carrier: roger§

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBox View Post
Hi copout221—

I was shocked to see your forum comment!!! I’m so sorry to hear that. I just ran this by our customer service department and they haven’t heard of this happening. They also don’t have an email from you (or anyone with a similar issue). Can you email them again at customer (dot) service (at) otterbox (dot) com? Be sure to include the photo as well.

Best Regards,
Kristin Golliher
I have had similar problems with my otterbox for the bold. Not the scratching (although I did just notice the raised numbers on the inside..) But the echo.
I have emailed about, and was told it was my phone. (It is the otterbox covering the mic, and fyi all new berries (including the storm) will echo in the otter because they are all missing a hole for the second microphone.)
When will there be a fixed/redesigned otterbox, that accomodated the second microphone? (Look at oem rubber skin, and seidio cases if you don't know what second microphone hole the case needs)
Old 02-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
copout221

Quote:
Hi copout221—

Best Regards,
Kristin Golliher
Kristin,

Email was sent. Thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
copout221

UPDATE : I was personally contacted by a representative from Otterbox today and I must say this company is awesome. They are offering to replace my phone (not just the screen) and replace the case after they do some minor re-tooling to the plastic injection process so there are no raised lettering or symbols inside the case that could potentially cause more damage to phones.

I was also having problems with my trackball not responding (not related to the Otterbox) and Nextel is sending me a new phone. This is nice since it will not cost Otterbox any money. I did ask for a new case AFTER the re-design has been completed and it sounds like they will have no problem doing it.

I must say, I wish all companies were this attentive and supportive to their customers concerns and issues. The world would be a better place IMO !!!

Thanks Otterbox, you are one heck of a respectible company !!!
Old 02-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
OtterBox

Default OtterBox

Nah…uhh—Ok, I hope this helps. Just heard back from engineering and the small round hole on the bottom of the phone is the mic. It should not be covered by the clear plastic cover. If it is, the cover could possibly be defective or it has been placed incorrectly on the phone. The other hole on the bottom of the phone is for a lanyard when not using the Defender case.

As for the echo, here’s what they said:

If the people that this person is talking to are hearing themselves echo (as opposed to hearing the person they are talking to echo), more than likely the fault is not with the Bold or the Defender case. We’ve not heard of this problem before with this particular phone and case. It would be interesting to know if these callers have the echo problem with anyone else they call. We have several people here with the Bold and Defender case (Curt, Brian and James) and they’ve not mentioned a problem with echoing. One suggestion is to try removing the clear plastic cover and see if it makes a difference and let us know. That would be useful information for us.

Copout221— We definitely try to make things right and I’m so glad you got in touch with Customer Service. Thanks for your feedback and support!

Best Regards,
Kristin Golliher
Old 02-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
berryzone

Model: 9500
Carrier: bb

how much 8350xxx65311;
I like it too
Old 02-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
copout221

Quote:
Copout221— We definitely try to make things right and I’m so glad you got in touch with Customer Service. Thanks for your feedback and support!

Best Regards,
Kristin Golliher
Kristin,

I had several email conversations with Natasha and the matter has been resolved.

Thanks again,

Copout221
Old 02-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
OtterBox

That's great! Natasha is absolutely amazing at what she does. I'm so glad she was able to help you out!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
BrianForsberg

PIN: 4029B4A3
Carrier: Nextel

I purchased the Otter Box for my 8350i last week and LOVE it; however, since attaching the case to my Blackberry last Sunday I have received a lot of comments from people on the other end of the phone stating that they can either hear their voice echoing or can barely hear me as if I were in a tunned. When I read the post of the raised "2", I removed the cover and saw that I also had the beginning impression of a number "2" just to the lower left of my status light.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #11
OtterBox

Default OtterBox

Thanks for the feedback, even though this is only the 2nd time now that we've heard this, it is very concerning. I would advise contacting customer service. They can make suggestions and help assist you, customer(dot)service(at)otterbox(dot)com or 888-695-8820. Sorry to hear that.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
BrianForsberg

Thanks for the info...I just e-mailed customer service.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
OtterBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianForsberg View Post
Thanks for the info...I just e-mailed customer service.
Ok, thanks for the update! Again, I'm so sorry and embarrassed to hear this. If there's anything else you need please let us know.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
BrianForsberg

New porduct, new model...things happen. Nothing in life is perfect.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #15
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

how ironic, i was just about to embark posting a thread asking ppl how they like their otterbox for the storm.

these cases, although very rugged looking and boasting multiple layers of device protection, always looked to me like it lacks the most basic protection for the device itself: an interior gel/microfiber membrane to absorb foreign dust particles and prevent the otterbox itself from scratching the phone !

i was seriously thinking of getting one, because i dropped my storm today (it was in a silicon case and the drop was onto hardwood floor, only about 1 foot fall). no damage/blemishes....but still.

to go out of your way, pay all that money to get the "ultimate" blackberry case....only to find that the case itself damaged your phone ? i find it unacceptable that these guys can design a very detailed and protective case for your phone, and then neglect finishing the interior of it properly....in order to save a buck during manufacturing

go after them for a new phone, if they laugh in your face, just go straight to

The Consumerist: Shoppers Bite Back

i PROMISE they would be more than happy to publish your story.

Last edited by zero7404; 02-25-2009 at 08:07 PM..
Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #16
OtterBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
how ironic, i was just about to embark posting a thread asking ppl how they like their otterbox for the storm.

these cases, although very rugged looking and boasting multiple layers of device protection, always looked to me like it lacks the most basic protection for the device itself: an interior gel/microfiber membrane to absorb foreign dust particles and prevent the otterbox itself from scratching the phone !

i was seriously thinking of getting one, because i dropped my storm today (it was in a silicon case and the drop was onto hardwood floor, only about 1 foot fall). no damage/blemishes....but still.

to go out of your way, pay all that money to get the "ultimate" blackberry case....only to find that the case itself damaged your phone ? i find it unacceptable that these guys can design a very detailed and protective case for your phone, and then neglect finishing the interior of it properly....in order to save a buck during manufacturing

go after them for a new phone, if they laugh in your face, just go straight to

The Consumerist: Shoppers Bite Back

i PROMISE they would be more than happy to publish your story.
To clarify, we are taking this issue very seriously! OtterBox greatly values all feedback and comments and a strong commitment to our customers has always been our top priority. Anyone experiencing problems with our products, no matter how big or small, are always encouraged to contact our customer service department and it is our promise to do everything we can to make things right. We are are always innovating, adapting and learning! Thanks for understanding.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #17
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
To clarify, we are taking this issue very seriously! OtterBox greatly values all feedback and comments and a strong commitment to our customers has always been our top priority. Anyone experiencing problems with our products, no matter how big or small, are always encouraged to contact our customer service department and it is our promise to do everything we can to make things right. We are are always innovating, adapting and learning! Thanks for understanding.
i didn't really read thru the entire thread to see that Otterbox has come to the forums to tend to this problem, so i am sorry that my post comes off as a slam. it's a preconceived notion of mine that many companies out there in the past 10-15 years have steered towards rotten habits to make more money.

guess it's a reputation that all the 'good-natured' companies need to overcome...

i'm an aerospace engineer....if you need suggestions on improvement for your case, let me know...
Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
OtterBox

Default OtterBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
i didn't really read thru the entire thread to see that Otterbox has come to the forums to tend to this problem, so i am sorry that my post comes off as a slam. it's a preconceived notion of mine that many companies out there in the past 10-15 years have steered towards rotten habits to make more money.

guess it's a reputation that all the 'good-natured' companies need to overcome...

i'm an aerospace engineer....if you need suggestions on improvement for your case, let me know...
No problem. It's important to us to address any issues and make things right, and yes, this is absolutely a rarity today. We're always open to suggestions and you are welcome to submit them online under the "contact us" tab on our homepage. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #19
pierce4250

Model: 8350I
Carrier: sprint/nextel

I am the celluar account manager for our dept we currently have 29 units, i have ordered 1 case for mine to try when I recieve the case I will check inside the case for these problems
Old 03-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #20
jonboy828

Carrier: nextel
Default case echo

i just recently purchased the otterbox case for the 8350i. ever since i put it on people have been telling me that they can here themselves echo when they call me and that they can barely here me. i know it s the case because it doesnt echo when the case is off. after reading this forum i looked inside my case and i also have a raised 2 and a square grid on the inside but havent noticed any damage to the phone yet. also would filing down these moldings inside the case void any type of warrenty that the case may have?
Closed Thread