BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:00 AM   #1
smcleod

Model: 8707g
Default Moving BES 4.1.2

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I currently have BES Express 4.1.2 installed on a machine. I have a requirement to move the installation to a new machine. The database is stored in SQL on a separate machine anyway, so the DB will not move.

I can't find any information on how to move the installation without losing any data. Can someone point me in the right direction as to how I can move the install and not have to reconfigure any users or devices?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:25 AM   #2
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

Cutover article KB04261 is what you need... smcleod
Old 01-24-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
slimbim
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

This can simply be done by turning off the old server or services on them, install BES from scratch on the new server keeping the same BES name (not to be confused with the physical server hostname if they are different) and all other configuration data, and when it asks for database information, simply point it to the existing database. As long as you keep the same BES name, you will not have any complications. Well this works at least for BES 4.x. not sure about the Express.

But don't take my word for it... follow the BB article mentioned above to be safe.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
smcleod

hi, the article is for notes, i'm running exchange. it also appears to be with a local msde instance.

I've attempted to install on new machine keeping the same bes name and pointing it to the db after shutting down all the old services, but when I get to the database settings, I get the error

the database already exists and is a pre 3.5 database. updating pre 3.5 databases is not supported. delete the database and retry or manually update it.

the version I'm running is 4.1.2.25
Old 01-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I don't know much about the BES Express product.

The process mention by slimbin is the procedure for moving BES. I've done this dozens of times without any issues.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:46 AM   #6
smcleod

Thanks

I worked out my installed version was 4.1.2 as it had updates applied but I was trying to install 4.1.1 - I downloaded the 4.1.2 install and it had no probs.

I now have the old server with no services running - do I just uninstall the old enterprise server using add/remove? will this leave the database intact?
Closed Thread