BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #21
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Another "issue" I have been having which seems very inconsistent is sometimes when I try to start the app it asks me to re-login to my sling account (has my email and pw saved and ready)...other times it doesn't. Often that login is unsuccessful. Then sometimes I've noticed it logs in but when I go to connect the Slingbox it doesn't work....seems pretty random...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Still can't get Wifi to work...I have the Wifi logo in white yet as soon as I try to connect I get an error message saying "Can't connect via Wifi, check your Internet connection"

Last edited by EricScott; 12-30-2008 at 06:13 PM..
Old 12-31-2008, 06:32 AM   #22
Ragz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

WOW. This works great, both over 3g and WiFi. Certainly one of the coolest apps.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:09 AM   #23
dbltap
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricScott View Post
Another "issue" I have been having which seems very inconsistent is sometimes when I try to start the app it asks me to re-login to my sling account (has my email and pw saved and ready)...other times it doesn't. Often that login is unsuccessful. Then sometimes I've noticed it logs in but when I go to connect the Slingbox it doesn't work....seems pretty random...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
I've seen this a few times Eric. And when I have seen it, it has been when the 3G signal is questionable. By that I mean, limited signal or in an area where the signal may be satuated by the number of people in the area. i.e. airport or stadiums. SPM BB is validating against the Sling server. If it can't talk to the server, you don't get connection.

Quote:
Still can't get Wifi to work...I have the Wifi logo in white yet as soon as I try to connect I get an error message saying "Can't connect via Wifi, check your Internet connection"
Is this on your home network or from any wifi connection? Have you tried it from a Starbucks? If it's only on your home wifi, there could be an issue with your router. By that I mean, not all routers pass information outside through the net back to the local internal network without have a loopback function enabled. I saw this a while back with an SMC router and my own internal web server. If I was outside my home network, I could access everything fine. But if I used the external DNS resolution to try and connect from inside my 192.168.x.x network, I couldn't see it. The router needed loopback enabled to be able to see my server using the external DNS adddress. I've heard some routers from AT&T have the loopback disabled. In that case, you may need to get to your SlingBox via the direct IP address rather than the sling server.

Last edited by dbltap; 12-31-2008 at 09:11 AM..
Old 12-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #24
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the reply.

On the WiFi issue, I have only tried the WiFi w/in my apartment. Honestly I don't really plan on using SPM in my apartment so it's not a big deal. Will have to try it at a hotspot and see if it works.

Regardless, the "WiFI Preferred" connection setting doesn't seem to work properly b/c if Wifi fails it just stops trying...it doesn't try to connect via the mobile network. So basically I'm leaving it set as Mobile Preferred.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #25
mrgm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: bold2
Carrier: Cingular

TVersity - Screenshots
WHAT BLUETOOTH DEVICE WORKS TO SYNC MY DESKTOP MANAGER
TO MY BB OUT OF THE BOX; PLEASE PM ME!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #26
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Are you sure it's actually working on WI-FI and not grabbing an Edge or 3G signal? It seems the 9000BOLD version does NOT support WI-FI (yet?). When I select WI-FI only it fails, when I select "prefer" WI-FI it connects over 3G or EDGE.

If you look at the Blackberry/Sling page here: Sling Media - BlackBerry

The Bold is the only one WITHOUT an asterisk next to it. The asterisk on the bottom of the page says: *=Supported by SlingPlayer Mobile when used with Wi-Fi connection.

In any case, I can't get mine to work with Wi-Fi either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragz View Post
WOW. This works great, both over 3g and WiFi. Certainly one of the coolest apps.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:01 AM   #27
Dennis Meek

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

I have my Bold running Sling and it works on WiFi or mobile. No problem connecting with either.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #28
dstrauss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

Don't know about the WiFi connection, but 3g has been rock solid - very few hesitations and unbelievable in full screen mode. In fact, 3g performance has been better than desktop version on my WinXP box throught the firewall. Very impressive indeed.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #29
bogman

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Works well for me too - quality pretty good over 3G. However, I believe O2 in the UK charge for non-BIS traffic - so not sure I'll be able to afford to run it too often!

Haven't got it working on WiFi - but only tried it on my home WiFi network - so may work fine elsewhere.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #30
dbltap

Model: 9800

The Bold is rock solid on WiFi. Networking issues as I mentioned earlier might be an issue on some Routers. As I mentioned, try wifi outside your home network from a Starbucks or McDonalds. This will eliminate one of the possible networking issues in a home network.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #31
bogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbltap View Post
The Bold is rock solid on WiFi. Networking issues as I mentioned earlier might be an issue on some Routers. As I mentioned, try wifi outside your home network from a Starbucks or McDonalds. This will eliminate one of the possible networking issues in a home network.
Yes - I think you're right. I had to turn off UPNP on my internet router a while back. Before that I could type the external IP address of my router from my home network and I could access the site or slingbox. But since then this doesn't work.

One good feature for Sling to add would be the ability to enter in an IP address for your SlingBox - that way you could get around this issue? (you can do this already on the desktop software).
Old 01-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #32
bogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman View Post
Works well for me too - quality pretty good over 3G. However, I believe O2 in the UK charge for non-BIS traffic - so not sure I'll be able to afford to run it too often!

Haven't got it working on WiFi - but only tried it on my home WiFi network - so may work fine elsewhere.
I left Sling Player run for a few minutes yesterday - over 3G. Quality was good - but didn't let it run for more than 5 minutes in total.

Just logged into my O2 account online today - I was charged £7 for just over 6MB yesterday! So - using SlingPlayer over the mobile network will cost O2 users just over £1 a minute!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #33
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

So I posted in the Sling Forum and got an answer to my question re: the Connection Method setting. WiFi Preferred wasn't working in my home b/c while the WiFi network was active, due to the loopback settings (no idea what those really are) SPM couldn't connect (basically what dbttap said above). So it didn't even attempt to try the Mobile connection - it saw Wifi but Wifi wasn't working. If I am outside of my home network, WiFi Preferred works as expected...if there is no Wifi network it tries the mobile connection which works fine. If I am on another WiFi network (other than the one the SB is connected to), then WiFi works fine - tried an AT&T Hotspot at Starbucks. Since I really don't plan on using SPM in my apartment I am totally satisfied w/ the way things are working.

Last edited by EricScott; 01-03-2009 at 05:16 PM..
Old 01-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #34
GBX
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
So I posted in the Sling Forum and got an answer to my question re: the Connection Method setting. WiFi Preferred wasn't working in my home b/c while the WiFi network was active, due to the loopback settings (no idea what those really are) SPM couldn't connect (basically what dbttap said above). So it didn't even attempt to try the Mobile connection - it saw Wifi but Wifi wasn't working. If I am outside of my home network, WiFi Preferred works as expected...if there is no Wifi network it tries the mobile connection which works fine. If I am on another WiFi network (other than the one the SB is connected to), then WiFi works fine - tried an AT&T Hotspot at Starbucks. Since I really don't plan on using SPM in my apartment I am totally satisfied w/ the way things are working.
i called sling and they told me that i needed to get the APN username and password from my carrier, AT&T. Anyone know what this is?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:52 AM   #35
bogman

Fellow O2 users may be interested in this. As per an earlier post, when I first ran SlingPlayover 3G, it seemed to work about £1 a minute!

Last weekend I set the APN settings in SlingPlayer itself to the supposedly free APN that O2 runs:
APN: wap.02.co.uk
Account: o2wap
Password: wap

...and since then I've used SlingPlayer most days, but haven't been charged. I can see the usage against wap.02.co.uk in my bill, but there is zero charge - so I'm getting it as part of my Blackberry allowance.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #36
r12ax7

I am getting the following message when i try to connect: "SlingPlayer cannot connect to your SlingBox. Please check the Internet connection on your phone and try again."

I followed SlingMedia's troubleshooting which involved getting the APN info from AT&T. AT&T checked my internet connection, which was fine, and also informed me that my APN was active and that shouldnt be the problem. I also have had no problem with the SlingPlayer at home on my 2 computers which I run it on. Has anyone else been getting this message?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #37
trueblue1873

Carrier: O2
Question Slingbox on O2 data charges?

Bogman - what tariff are you getting inclusive WAP on O2? I didn't think the BB bolt on gave you it. I've just got the Slingbox working but don't want to be wacked for data charges - the numpties in the O2 call centre are useless at helping
Old 03-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #38
jimdarcy
Thumbs Must Hurt

i have dishnetwork, thinking of getting a slingbox solo, question...

the dishnetwork box goes into sleep mode after some period of time, can the sling still acess live tv via a 8900 with the dish box in sleep mode?

also

dish favorites come prepacked...all channels, all subs, all hd and then u can make your own, question is do you have to leave it on all sub to get access to channels that may not be on a customized channel list that you may create?

thanks in advance

jim
Old 04-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #39
jimdarcy
Thumbs Must Hurt

i was unable to connect at all on wi-fi, but got on immediately on mobile, how can i get the wi-fi connection working?
thanks
Closed Thread