BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #41
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ?
Carrier: Nextel

Please Login to Remove!

RIM BlackBerry 8800 Reviews. Smartphones Reviews by CNET.

cnets video shows the 8800 with push to talk button and I found a document showing the 8830 is coming to sprint soon do you think this will be on nextels push to talk ? If not could it be adapted?

Last edited by Tritan; 04-10-2007 at 06:13 PM..
Old 04-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #42
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

cnets video shows the 8800 with push to talk button and I found a document showing the 8830 is coming to sprint soon do you think this will be on nextels push to talk ? If not could it be adapted?

I feel safe in saying that if it does have PTT, it is not going to be iden. iden is a dead technology and I can't see RIM developing any more products for them.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:15 PM   #43
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

I wonder what is going to happen to iden bb users as it seems the 8830 will release soon without push to talk.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:35 AM   #44
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

iden will not be getting any new blackberrys espcially since its scheduled to be done away with in 4 years per sprints plans anounced publicly

Last edited by Dawg; 05-30-2007 at 06:08 PM..
Old 05-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #45
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

Sprint has no plan to turn off iDEN in 2 years. Sprint is has publicly announced no changes to the network through 2012. No one knows what is going to happen to it after that but it will no the turned off.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #46
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Nextel isn't going anywhere.

I've been told there are no plans to release anymore BlackBerry Devices for Nextel, everything will be on Sprint.

If it still holds true, not a smart move I feel, especially when the 7100i outsold every other blackberry out there. Nextel has a very large coorporate/business market.

Also, the 7520 and 7100i have recently reached end of life. So that means no more blackberry's on iDEN? Not a smart move I think, something has to be in the works.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #47
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm View Post
Sprint has no plan to turn off iDEN in 2 years. Sprint is has publicly announced no changes to the network through 2012. No one knows what is going to happen to it after that but it will no the turned off.
I stand corrected I meant 2012(its been awhile since I looked at their invoices) but I bet you see its demise much sooner the way sprint and nextel are loosing customers. Over 300 thousand fourth quarter last year alone.

Most of the IDEN ppl I know have all switched over to boost for DC and left to other carriers for their phone service.

My company dropped nextel in January over 600 employees left at once. All Verizon customers now.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #48
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

This is what doesn't make sense to me . I work for local government and my township just signed deals with Sprint/nextel for two additional towers in our area. I asked who they would service and they stated nextel. I asked nextel and sprint so sprint coverage would be better and they said no just added iden coverage for nextels. What is going on !!!!! We are only allowed to use nextels for work so the death of a nextel bb is killing me. Stuck with a 7100 when there has been 3 new bb releases to date is unbareible for a tech junkie like me.. I switched back to the I880 nextel for now but nextel hasn't released a new all iden feature phone since the I880 last year. My area is owned by pcs so its not a true Sprint area and we can't get any of the new nextels. Once they die off I don't know what we are going to do.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #49
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan View Post
This is what doesn't make sense to me . I work for local government and my township just signed deals with Sprint/nextel for two additional towers in our area. I asked who they would service and they stated nextel. I asked nextel and sprint so sprint coverage would be better and they said no just added iden coverage for nextels. What is going on !!!!! We are only allowed to use nextels for work so the death of a nextel bb is killing me. Stuck with a 7100 when there has been 3 new bb releases to date is unbareible for a tech junkie like me.. I switched back to the I880 nextel for now but nextel hasn't released a new all iden feature phone since the I880 last year. My area is owned by pcs so its not a true Sprint area and we can't get any of the new nextels. Once they die off I don't know what we are going to do.
well the government is buying the iden frequencys up left and right the new towers are for that roll out. After 911 the feds realized they needed a network for nation wide coverage and iden covers that better than anyone. Thats why they have the off network on alot of the heavy duty devices so they can be used on emergency scenes with out tying up the reg frequencys. I work at a local 911 call center part time and I have seen many many feds in there making deals on all of our 800mhz bands.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #50
purephase
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

QChat is supposedly backwards compatible with iDEN. Even if iDEN towers are still being deployed, I 100% guarantee that a lot more money is being spent on EVDO saturation (especially in the city areas) so PTT is not going anywhere.

I hope that all these new devices require is a software upgrade to enable the service.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #51
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
QChat is supposedly backwards compatible with iDEN. Even if iDEN towers are still being deployed, I 100% guarantee that a lot more money is being spent on EVDO saturation (especially in the city areas) so PTT is not going anywhere.

I hope that all these new devices require is a software upgrade to enable the service.
PTT will be around but not in its current form
Old 05-31-2007, 07:17 PM   #52
southwestcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
well the government is buying the iden frequencys up left and right the new towers are for that roll out. After 911 the feds realized they needed a network for nation wide coverage and iden covers that better than anyone. Thats why they have the off network on alot of the heavy duty devices so they can be used on emergency scenes with out tying up the reg frequencys. I work at a local 911 call center part time and I have seen many many feds in there making deals on all of our 800mhz bands.
Where do you get this info? This is so far from the truth. The feds are trying to get the FCC to secure 700 MHz for a national network. Sprint hasn't sold anything to the gov't.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:35 PM   #53
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Where do you get this info? This is so far from the truth. The feds are trying to get the FCC to secure 700 MHz for a national network. Sprint hasn't sold anything to the gov't.
I was there when the talks were going on between the Nextel People and County officials and a few reps from the FCC. This is about the third time they had been in since 05. I asked my EMA director what it was all about and he told me they want to buy our frequencies for a nation wide FEMA set up.

I will also try and find that article that stated just this statment about what I said

edit: ok I found it and many more just like it

US DoD buying Sprint Nextel's iDEN network - Engadget

US DoD buying Sprint Nextel's iDEN network
Posted Oct 27th 2005 9:40AM by Ryan Block
Filed under: Cellphones

Moto must be stoked on this one: after Sprint was slated to wipe Nextel's iDEN network from the face of the planet, PCS Intel has it that the United States Department of Defense will come in and scoop up the infrastructure outright for a national encrypted iDEN network for government communications xxx8212; one separate from civilian cellphone networks. For those of you still worried about your service and/or Push-To-Talk, have no fear, we understand Sprint intends to roll out dual-mode CDMA/iDEN handsets for use in the years during the changeover, and they've already got limited support for Sprint PCS Ready Link (their CDMA PTT service). So yes, it looks like iDEN will live to see another day xxx8212; but eventually you'll just have to be on the government payroll to use it.

Last edited by Dawg; 05-31-2007 at 07:41 PM..
Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 PM   #54
southwestcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I was there when the talks were going on between the Nextel People and County officials and a few reps from the FCC. This is about the third time they had been in since 05. I asked my EMA director what it was all about and he told me they want to buy our frequencies for a nation wide FEMA set up.

I will also try and find that article that stated just this statment about what I said

edit: ok I found it and many more just like it

US DoD buying Sprint Nextel's iDEN network - Engadget

US DoD buying Sprint Nextel's iDEN network
Posted Oct 27th 2005 9:40AM by Ryan Block
Filed under: Cellphones

Moto must be stoked on this one: after Sprint was slated to wipe Nextel's iDEN network from the face of the planet, PCS Intel has it that the United States Department of Defense will come in and scoop up the infrastructure outright for a national encrypted iDEN network for government communications — one separate from civilian cellphone networks. For those of you still worried about your service and/or Push-To-Talk, have no fear, we understand Sprint intends to roll out dual-mode CDMA/iDEN handsets for use in the years during the changeover, and they've already got limited support for Sprint PCS Ready Link (their CDMA PTT service). So yes, it looks like iDEN will live to see another day — but eventually you'll just have to be on the government payroll to use it.

An article from 2005 from engadget, originally from PCS Intel? Please find any real news article, Sprint/Nextel press releases, quarterly reports, etc, as a follow up. You won't find any. It hasn't happened.

I will admit there has been a lot of speculation regarding iDEN's future after 2012 but no transactions have occured other than rebanding of the iDEN network which was part of the Consensus plan.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:26 AM   #55
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
An article from 2005 from engadget, originally from PCS Intel? Please find any real news article, Sprint/Nextel press releases, quarterly reports, etc, as a follow up. You won't find any. It hasn't happened.

I will admit there has been a lot of speculation regarding iDEN's future after 2012 but no transactions have occured other than rebanding of the iDEN network which was part of the Consensus plan.

Thats just the one I posted there are hundreds of them you asked where I got my info I showed you. But I was personally present during the meetings i mentioned above so if you dont want to believe me fine be that way doesnt bother me in the slightest. I hate Sprint I miss my nextel but the service just dimineshed after the merger
Closed Thread