Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Wade DeHart

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Question 3G Blackberries from AT&T?

Please Login to Remove!

when is AT&T coming out with a Blackberry that runs at 3G speed? spoken to many there who are all clueless !!
Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
WonkotheSane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade DeHart View Post
when is AT&T coming out with a Blackberry that runs at 3G speed? spoken to many there who are all clueless !!
The last batch of rumors has the 9xxx coming out Q4. OTOH, there hasn't been anything leaked about it for a long time.

BlackBerry 8800 xxx038; 9xxx Series | The Boy Genius Report
Old 09-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

at this point I think the 99xx coming out in q4 is unlikely. Id guess 1Q08 is more likely.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Id say 3Q08 is a maybe. they havent rolled out their pearl2 or the full compliment of the 88xx and 83xx. maybe 2Q08 since their going to be falling behind in tech very fast. dont want to end up in the situation palm is in right now.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
cdd543
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Id say 3Q08 is a maybe. they havent rolled out their pearl2 or the full compliment of the 88xx and 83xx. maybe 2Q08 since their going to be falling behind in tech very fast. dont want to end up in the situation palm is in right now.
Yes I agree they need to get moving. I have my eye on the tytn ii with gps/ 3mp, 3g/ wifi, etc. I am using an e61i and have blackberry connect running and I don't miss my curve very much at all since my mail comes through just as well. I would like to see a 3g bberry sooner than later.

Last edited by cdd543; 09-05-2007 at 06:21 PM..
Old 09-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
Anthem
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
I am only passing on what I was told so please don't kill the messenger. A rep at one of the at&t stores informed me he went to a training session recently and was told that all newer blackberries have the capability of 3G they just need an os update.I don't really believe it but I thought I would post anyway.

Last edited by Anthem; 09-05-2007 at 06:37 PM..
Old 09-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I am only passing on what I was told so please don't kill the messenger. A rep at one of the at&t stores informed me he went to a training session recently and was told that all newer blackberries have the capability of 3G they just need an os update.I don't really believe it but I thought I would post anyway.
The rep you heard that from is mistaken.
None of the AT&T Blackberry Devices have a 3G radio in them.
It's not possible to add hardware to a device via OS update.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #8
beninark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

mmm...I thought rim was trying to jump into the consumer market...but the stuff they are releasing now really isnt a huge improvement over what they had. I really like the 8100 but I dont know...it just seems like they are content with the status quo instead of actually surging forward. I dont know...i could be out of the ball park but it seems like they are on a sinking ship...i just hope they jump on another boat soon.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #9
MooseBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Up :)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninark View Post
mmm...I thought rim was trying to jump into the consumer market...but the stuff they are releasing now really isn't a huge improvement over what they had. I really like the 8100 but I don't know...it just seems like they are content with the status quo instead of actually surging forward. I don't know...i could be out of the ball park but it seems like they are on a sinking ship...i just hope they jump on another boat soon.
I don't think RIM is on a sinking ship, in fact I think there's been big strides in a short time. I like that updated devices are coming out and that we don't have to wait for a new product line to get new features, I just hope RIM's not holding stuff back just so in six months they can release the XX20.

I would love to see 3G, 3mp camera, wi-fi, GPS BlackBerries in the Pearl and Curve models for consumers (in fact I think that's were RIM needs to go, soon) and business models without the camera.

That's just my opinion...
Old 09-06-2007, 06:51 AM   #10
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I really don't think 3G will live up to the hype and what everyone expects. Realistically, the only advantage I see is that it will be a bit faster if you tether.

Email will be pushed as it always gets push. Speed won't make a noticeable difference.

You might be able to detect a little faster browsing, but I doubt if it will be much, since most websites are not optimized for mobile devices and the handhelds just don't have enough horsepower (processor and memory) and screen real estate to make it speedy.

One thing I think we will all see is that battery life will decrease, just as we are seeing now with the WiFi devices.

I hope it will prove me wrong though.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
Dark Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
I really don't think 3G will live up to the hype and what everyone expects. Realistically, the only advantage I see is that it will be a bit faster if you tether.
While HSDPA/UMTS (3G) wouldn't do much for speeding up email it will help with improved video streaming (ie: video conference calls, watching tv), file transfers and as you pointed out tethering the device to a laptop for internet access. If RIM does release a 3G GSM Blackberry then I hope they are intelligent enough to provide it with a front video call camera similar to the HTC TYTN, Samsung Croix, Nokia N95, LG KU990, etc.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
While HSDPA/UMTS (3G) wouldn't do much for speeding up email it will help with improved video streaming (ie: video conference calls, watching tv), file transfers and as you pointed out tethering the device to a laptop for internet access. If RIM does release a 3G GSM Blackberry then I hope they are intelligent enough to provide it with a front video call camera similar to the HTC TYTN, Samsung Croix, Nokia N95, LG KU990, etc.
Keep in mind that first and foremost, the BB is a business tool and RIM's primary market is the business and government customer. Many, if not most, do not want the camera, particularly government and government contractors. Plus, I really don't see the need for streaming video on a BB, unless maybe that is somehow part of your profession. The screen isn't that big anyway!

I can see the camera and streaming video and all of the other bells and whistles on the consumer version though.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:18 AM   #13
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000

Wifi and 3G in the BB on AT&T's network is coming December or January, RIM is the one holding it up .

This comes from a inside manager in AT&T in western NY. If you dont believe this well thats your prerogative.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #14
speed4tu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBB View Post
Wifi and 3G in the BB on AT&T's network is coming December or January, RIM is the one holding it up .

This comes from a inside manager in AT&T in western NY. If you dont believe this well thats your prerogative.
hope this is correct. I would love to see these two things in a BB
Old 09-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #15
baccess
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Many
Carrier: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
I really don't think 3G will live up to the hype and what everyone expects. Realistically, the only advantage I see is that it will be a bit faster if you tether..
Most anyone who has tethered using a 3g device and also a BB using Edge will tell you that it is more than a "bit" faster if you are in a 3G coverage area. Granted, the market for tethering is only a segment of the the overall BB Market. Email speed shouldn't be a significant difference and browsing, as it exists now, shouldn't appear significantly faster, but helps greatly to make possible future enhancements/applications.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #16
jimmadden

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT
Default 3G is Key

a true simultaneous multi mode 3G BB would have several benefits
1. voice and data simultaneous, talk and tether and IM and video at the same time! sitting in an airport on a 2 hour con call? haven't seen an email in that time? haven't seen the email that your appt's canceled? thing of the past

2. video, don't downplay the use of video in biz and consumer apps unless you've seen it on great phones on greast networks. video conferencing - even on small screens is fantastic. kudos to the poster that suggested putting the camera on the front!

3. reallocation of bandwidth priority for the carriers, allows more usage of more channels and greatly simplifies OA+M of the network. allows for more services to be deployed more quickly and more cost effectively

so when do we get them? aren't they shipping via vodaphone in UK now?

Last edited by jimmadden; 09-07-2007 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: forgot
Old 09-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #17
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmadden View Post
a true simultaneous multi mode 3G BB would have several benefits
1. voice and data simultaneous, talk and tether and IM and video at the same time! sitting in an airport on a 2 hour con call? haven't seen an email in that time? haven't seen the email that your appt's canceled? thing of the past

2. video, don't downplay the use of video in biz and consumer apps unless you've seen it on great phones on greast networks. video conferencing - even on small screens is fantastic. kudos to the poster that suggested putting the camera on the front!

3. reallocation of bandwidth priority for the carriers, allows more usage of more channels and greatly simplifies OA+M of the network. allows for more services to be deployed more quickly and more cost effectively

so when do we get them? aren't they shipping via vodaphone in UK now?
Vodafone has had a 3G BlackBerry, the 8707v, for over a year.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #18
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

and that makes the situation look that much worse. Yet another feature they are holding back on until they feel they need to release it. Its business I understand but they seem to really hold off on the features. they have had a gsm 3G for over a year, wifi available for longer than that.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #19
shtekler
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular ATT

Quote:
uses less for me hardly we have coverage for 3 G in this country, so let them
work on that 1st.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #20
reras99

Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular
Default 3G is coming sooner than you think

I heard the 8820 will be replaced soon after it's released by the 8900 which will be 3G and cost around $800..........
Closed Thread