BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ?
Carrier: Nextel
Default syncing contacts what is better google or outlook or both?

Please Login to Remove!

ok , I had duplicates on my device of contacts on my new 8350. I deleted them and just added my sim contacts now I am debating how I sync . Should I sync with Outlook , google or both ? Is it possible to do both? Thanks

Also How do I set up group emails? Can I do the same in SMS? I want a work group to send one email to 50 people but addressing to "work group" etc.

thanks
Old 12-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
341EastOf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

google sync still has some bugs for a lot folks, including me. I sync with Outlook so that I have a solid back-up of my contacts and then use google sync to see what happens.

Some people are having no issues with the most recent google sync and some are not.

Your second question - I have no idea.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile

Sorry to sound stupid, but how do you sync google contacts? I have Google Sync, but it only seems to sync my calendar.
I don't use my Outlook any more. Not sure why, just quit using it.

Kamau
Old 12-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ?
Carrier: Nextel

I have another question is the contacts and address book the same in Outlook. I started to correct my contacts in the address book but then saw the contacts tab and it looks similar to my address book. Which one should I be working in?
Old 12-20-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
341EastOf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamau View Post
Sorry to sound stupid, but how do you sync google contacts? I have Google Sync, but it only seems to sync my calendar.
I don't use my Outlook any more. Not sure why, just quit using it.
The new versions of Google Sync (versions 0.5.12 and 0.5.13) have the option of syncing contacts in addition to the calender.

Install the newest version, click options and check the box for contact sync.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
341EastOf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan View Post
I have another question is the contacts and address book the same in Outlook. I started to correct my contacts in the address book but then saw the contacts tab and it looks similar to my address book. Which one should I be working in?
I just checked my "Contacts" in Outlook and they are the same as the "Address Book".

So, I can assume that any change that I make in the Outlook address book will reflect in the Outlook contacts and vice versa.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Also How do I set up group emails? Can I do the same in SMS? I want a work group to send one email to 50 people but addressing to "work group" etc.
No groups in BlackBerries, you are better off using the "categories"

Quote:
I just checked my "Contacts" in Outlook and they are the same as the "Address Book".
Yep, Contacts in Outlook are the same as Address Book in the BlackBerries, changes to either will be reflected when sync'ed

Quote:
The new versions of Google Sync (versions 0.5.12 and 0.5.13) have the option of syncing contacts in addition to the calender.
I would back everything up for first before running the Google Sync, kinda a hit or miss thing.

Not too sure how to send group emails however.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: T o' Bitters
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
No groups in BlackBerries, you are better off using the "categories"

Yep, Contacts in Outlook are the same as Address Book in the BlackBerries, changes to either will be reflected when sync'ed

I would back everything up for first before running the Google Sync, kinda a hit or miss thing.

Not too sure how to send group emails however.
Groups are available for both Google (in Contacts) and Blackberry (in Address Book). However, the groups will not sync in either direction for a Blackberry/Google setup or a Blackberry/Outlook setup. You can use DM to backup groups though.

In either case, groups are kind of a pain since they can't be synced.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumSteve View Post
Groups are available for both Google (in Contacts) and Blackberry (in Address Book). However, the groups will not sync in either direction for a Blackberry/Google setup or a Blackberry/Outlook setup. You can use DM to backup groups though.

In either case, groups are kind of a pain since they can't be synced.
Just checked, yea you are right groups can be created in BlackBerry check that out.

As far as sync'ing that will be slightly complicated, which is why I just recommended using categories, that would be simplier to manage on the BlackBerry Sync with Outlook so you only have to sync once and you have all your contacts.

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by SteveO86; 12-21-2008 at 04:48 PM..
Old 12-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I'm a google fan as it is wireless. I use google to sync my calendar and contacts from the desktop to the BB. Then, I have a VM with Outlook for corporate VPN email access. I have a desktop google sync to sync my calendar from OL with google calendar. Not perfect but it gets the job done well. Of course, no email corporate email on the BB though.

As for groups and categories, no, google doesn't use categories and won't sync google groups to BB categories. Too bad.

To be clear, a group in the BB isn't the same as a google group anyway. You can create a group on the BB so you can send an email to everyone in that group. For me, I have groups for project teams; when I need to send an email to the team, I just put int the group name and it emails everyone in that group.

A group in google is analogous to the categories in Outlook.

Regards-Michael G.

Last edited by mgerbasio; 12-21-2008 at 11:50 AM..
Old 12-21-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: T o' Bitters
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
I'm a google fan as it is wireless. I use google to sync my calendar and contacts from the desktop to the BB. Then, I have a VM with Outlook for corporate VPN email access. I have a desktop google sync to sync my calendar from OL with google calendar. Not perfect but it gets the job done well. Of course, no email corporate email on the BB though.

As for groups and categories, no, google doesn't use categories and won't sync google groups to BB categories. Too bad.

To be clear, a group in the BB isn't the same as a google group anyway. You can create a group on the BB so you can send an email to everyone in that group. For me, I have groups for project teams; when I need to send an email to the team, I just put int the group name and it emails everyone in that group.

A group in google is analogous to the categories in Outlook.

Regards-Michael G.
You might want to review "groups" in Google again...using the web interface and under contacts. You most certainly can create a mailing list...that can only be used while in the Google web interface...and it doesn't directly equate to categories in Outlook.

Not that it matters...the OP most likely would have liked whatever we call these objects to have synced across platforms...but that just isn't going to happen...for now anyway.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #12
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Steve,
Thanks. I'll have a look.

Regards-Michael g.
Closed Thread