Carrier: at&t
Default want two spaces after each period before new sentence

Please Login to Remove!

ok, this will prove i'm a nut but...

why can't they be reasonable and let me do things MY, WAYYYYY

Frank Sinatra Live in London 1971 My Way - YouTube

here's back and forth with a much smarter (than me) friend

me:

i am old-fashioned and want a noticeable two spaces, not one space, after each period ending a sentence and before the next

i deliberately finish a sentence with alt/m for a period, and then i deliberately mash the space bar two times. it looks like i've created two spaces, but when i start typing the next sentence the space appears more like one. if instead i mash the space bar three times, the resulting space looks ok (ie, like two), but i don't want to have to do something unnatural and unfamiliar like that

i am pretty sure i neutered the auto-text so that some manipulation of the space bar no longer gives me a period.

any idea why i can't get the look of two spaces after perios ending a sentence without mashing the space bar three times? this is REALLY bugging me!!! thx

smarter friend:

It looks like BB10 auto corrects two spaces to one. I have not yet found a setting or word substitution trick to change that behavior. Only way I’ve discovered so far to defeat it is to type three spaces then backspace once. Fairly officious of the BlackBerry developers I would have to say.

Here’s a good argument against the two spaces, although I still don’t feel BB should be enforcing this.
Two spaces after a period: Why you should never, ever do it. - Slate Magazine
Old 08-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND
Default Re: want two spaces after each period before new sentence

Placing two spaces after a period is wrong.

That being said, you can hit the space bar once, then wait a second or two and hit it again.

You can also set it up so that your period and double space come up as a substitution for period/space.

Settings>Language and Input>Prediction and Correction>Word Substitution>Add Shortcut

Original Word - .<Space>

Sub with .<space><space>

Save, and Bob's your Uncle!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Q10

zombieberry, thank you for the grammar opinion, but special thanks for the procedural thoughts and suggestions

the first one failed entirely for me. after the period, i typed one space, then waited (several mississippis), then another space (then waited another several mississippis), and then i began the first letter of the first word in my next sentence. immediately what had been two spaces auto"corrected" to one space between the period and the first letter of the first word of my second sentence. sigh

i'll try to find time later to try your second suggestion (i'm not very technically proficient) and see if it works and i like it.

thank you again for your time and thoughts

Last edited by btaylor1; 08-06-2013 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
FourscoreAnd

PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Waiting doesn't help. If you type two spaces, the next non-space character typed will cause the two spaces to be converted to one space.

Word substitution based on the period does not help either because there must be a blank before the period for the word substitution to "take." Now if there is a backspace variable available for the substituation string, that could do it, but I have not found such a variable. Yet.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
ZombieBerry

It works perfectly as described. Tested it myself on BBM.

After the last word before you enter the period, hit space and then type the period. It will be moved back to the end of the current word and jump two spaces to start again.

Edit: changed designed to described

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 08-06-2013 at 03:42 PM..
Old 08-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Waiting and entering and extra space works for me. Just tested in an email. I did it two different ways: double space to automatically add a period and a space, wait, add an extra space; and type a period followed by a space, pause, add another space.

As far as right or wrong, it's style, and one space is the style now. I learned to type before computers, with only two choices of fixed type face (Pica and Elite). The style then, for readability, was two spaces after a period. It is still my habit, but I see that it isn't necessary with fonts nowadays, and I'm becoming happy letting my Z10 work it all out.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
ZombieBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor1 View Post
zombieberry, thank you for the grammar opinion, but special thanks for the procedural thoughts and suggestions

the first one failed entirely for me. after the period, i typed one space, then waited (several mississippis), then another space (then waited another several mississippis), and then i began the first letter of the first word in my next sentence. immediately what had been two spaces auto"corrected" to one space between the period and the first letter of the first word of my second sentence. sigh

i'll try to find time later to try your second suggestion (i'm not very technically proficient) and see if it works and i like it.

thank you again for your time and thoughts
Sure, that probably will not work. You need to type the end of the sentence and then do a little Konami code to get it to work.

["...her lips touched mine"<space><.><space><pause><space>] <---That should work, regardless of the settings you may have toggled or not. Adding the word substitution just abbreviates it so that you type ["...her lips touched mine"<space><.><space>] and then on the next sentence ready to be capitalized two spaces away.

aiharkness' method works as well, though I'm not sure why it doesn't for you.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

aiharkness and zombieberry, thank you both. i'm not as bright as either of you and probably won't succeed using either of your workarounds. i'm not willing to be assimilated by rim (blackberry) or anyone else dictating new typing style to me. i'd just rather be left alone and have some modicum of control like i did before spending $$ to "upgrade"! best regards

Google Image Result for http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gzJBRmzrbzM/UZFiTgZHpaI/AAAAAAAAAF8/nBvNbUtJnfM/s320/ST+FC4.jpg
Old 08-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
ZombieBerry

Resistance is futile!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

we'll see. the dweebs in star trek didn't have to pay out their $$ to get lobotomized!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Well, if you use the Z10 and use the flick technique, you have even less control. For example, you flick a word and there is a space after it. If you intend to type a comma afterward, there is no need to back space to put the comma directly after the word because the Z10 knows to move the comma over for you. I'm smitten.

Don't get me wrong. This old brain has 40 year old typing lessons carved into it. Adapting to the tech is hard. I guess for me I'm determined to become proficient with it.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

thanks for sharing. i write briefs for a living. the subjects can be very technical, and each word can count. i am not comfortable letting "tech," the borg, hal, big brother, or anyone else control my chosen format. i don't capitalize letters for these informal communications, but i wouldn't tolerate blackberry forums "auto"correcting them for me. i know learning new substance can be important, but i'll draw the line on it-imposed "style." guess i'll just continue being stubborn. not trying to have any last word and i'll receive any reply just for edification. best regards. bt
Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Understand. You are not the only one who writes for a living. But my standards and practices for business letters and reports are different than for email and messages, and other things like this forum. But different strokes. You should use what works for you. And by the way, have you played with text input settings? I have not experimented with turning off the automation stuff, but there may be some possibilities for you there.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
FourscoreAnd

I want to be wrong, but I have tried repeatedly and no amount of pausing preserves the two spaces. Now three spaces and a backspace works. But not two spaces followed by any non-space character, even if I wait a minute between the two spaces.

The word stubstitution does not work either for me, and I have tried at least 10 different variations. The fact that "<space>." is changed to a period (i.e. the space is removed) appears to be another builtin autocorrect feature unrelated to the attempted word substitutions.

These attempts are in the compose screen for my normal (Exchange) email account on a Q10 running 10.1.0.2006 which the device tells me is the most current. I mention these specifics because some of you are seeing different results, which seems peculiar. One source of confusion might lie in verifying that exactly two spaces are being preserved. The screen can be misleading, and I can only tell for sure by backspacing over the space or spaces.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

aiharkness, i have not, but the following (from beginning of the thread) is from my firm's former it manager, who has been piloting a q10 for his current firm, is a friend and supporter (and much brighter than i'll ever be):

smarter friend:

It looks like BB10 auto corrects two spaces to one. I have not yet found a setting or word substitution trick to change that behavior. Only way I’ve discovered so far to defeat it is to type three spaces then backspace once. Fairly officious of the BlackBerry developers I would have to say.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

@ForscoreAnd, perhaps there is a difference between the Z10 and the Q10 on this? I didn't think about that before. It works for me and Zombie, but I'm using a Z10 and looks like Zombie is as well.

@btaylor1, there is a setting to turn off the substitution of a period and a space for a double space. I don't know what turning that off will do for you on the Q10, but worth seeing if it also affects the auto-correct of two spaces to one.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

interesting... nope, the first thing i neutered (turned off) was the auto-correct setting that changed two spaces into a period. thanks again for your time and thoughts on this
Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #18
FourscoreAnd

I agree that the differing behavior on point among us is probably explained by Z10 vs. Q10. There are many things about this BB10 code that imply it's still smoking hot and evolving rapidly, not to mention written by folks new to BlackBerry. (Certain problems with word substitutions are especially telling.)

I personally changed religions years ago and now abhor two spaces after a period. But nothing can make me defend them faster than discovering that the new BlackBerry developers have attempted to remove the choice!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #19
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Oh well guys, I don't swim in the mainstream either, but you have to suffer it sometimes. I think this is one of those times. Cheers!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

sorry, i'm with fourscore (and i'm paying for this, for now)!

Braveheart - Freedom - YouTube
Closed Thread