BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
cclin3123
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Enable Chinese Input in OS 4.5 (BB 8800)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I checked the posts here and try to copy all Chinese related *.cod files from previous version of BB 8800 (4.2 with Chinese support). I copy Chinese.alx and then all the related *.cod files into the 4.5 shared Java directories. Then I renamed the vendor.xls, it did show the Chinese options which I can select. I can select Traditional and Simplified Chinese, but I got the error message that the Java library net.rim.blackberry.inputMethodCoreFull can't be found.

I wend through the Chinese.alx, and are sure that I already have all *.cod files from 4.2 directory. I am stucking here and don't know which *.cod file is missed which supports net.rim.blackberry.inputMethodCoreFull.

Is there anybody who successfully loaded the Chinese supporting module from OS4.2 to OS 4.5? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
JEEPers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22C60153
Carrier: AT&T

There is a previous version of the 4.5 OS that has the Chinese support *.cod files that you should use to copy into your 4.5 OS. You shouldn't be using 4.2 *.cod files. I am on 4.5.062 and installed the chinese language support languages stuff that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPers View Post
So I installed this version and after a few funky things. Got almost everything to work. Now does anyone know how to reinstall additional language support? Mainly chinese?
Found the answer to my own question. After searching on this forum, found that another BB user mentioned this for the BB83xx series 4.5 OS upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsy View Post
There are too many for me to realisticly list. However, if you have two versions of an OS - one with Chinese and one without, and view the Java directories side by side, I think you will quickly see which files they are. There will be "blocks" of cod files that you will need. For example, for RIM's platform resource, below are the Chinese language support files:

net_rim_platform_resource__zh.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_CN.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_CN_CangJei.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_CN_WuBiHua.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_HK.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_HK_CangJei.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_HK_Jyutping.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_TW_CangJei.cod

For other OS resources, there will be other cod files for Chinese language support which you will need. Just look for anything with the letters "zh." "Zh" stands for "zhongwen," which if you are looking for Chinese language, I assume you know what it means. CN = China. HK = Honk Kong. TW = Taiwan. Also, for the above, you can see some of the Chinese input systems offered for China, Hon Kong and Taiwan. There is also a pin yin input system for simplified Chinese characters. New in OS 4.5 is Taiwan's BoPoMoFo input system.

Also, from the main directory of the OS, you will need to copy the file CJK.alx to the main directory of the newer OS you are trying to load.

I have used this method successfully for many versions of OS 4.2 and now OS 4.5 when Chinese language support was not included in a newer OS.

Hope this helps.
Closed Thread