Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
smartphoney
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None
Carrier: None
Default Sprint Curve Roam Only Option

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a current Sprint Treo 755p user considering upgrading my phone to the Sprint Blackberry Curve. One concern I have is that there are about three weeks a year when I'm out of town and need to use the roam only option on my Treo. This allows me to use a strong Verizon signal rather than a very weak Sprint signal. In searching these boards and others it appears that Sprint is getting rid of this option on its newest phones and operating systems, and in fact the newest Curve OS doesn't have this option. But when I went to the Sprint store the other day the Curve I was looking at still had this option. So can anyone confirm that the current Sprint OS still has the roam only option? If not can I easily downgrade the OS to restore this option?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
daver42

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

The latest 4.3 version has the ROAM only option but none of the previous 4.3 versions had it though.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
pegb856
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: Head

I have a Sprint 8330 and have upgraded to a non-Sprint Official OS 4.5 and the roam only option is no longer available. Automatic and Home are they only options showing.

Happy Berrying!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
bvandrasik
Thumbs Must Hurt

There is no way of knowing if the (soon to be released ?) official Sprint 4.5 version will have this option.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
smartphoney

Model: None
Carrier: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvandrasik View Post
There is no way of knowing if the (soon to be released ?) official Sprint 4.5 version will have this option.
1. I assume if I buy a new Sprint Curve before the Sprint official 4.5 is available then I'll be o.k, right? I mean, the upgrade at that point will be optional on my part and is not done automatically over the air, is it?

2. Any idea when the Sprint upgrade is coming out? If I decide to buy the phone I guess I will want to make sure I do it before the upgrade.

3. Are there any meaningful improvements with 4.5 that I will be missing out on by staying with the 4.3 OS?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
bvandrasik
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartphoney View Post
1. I assume if I buy a new Sprint Curve before the Sprint official 4.5 is available then I'll be o.k, right? I mean, the upgrade at that point will be optional on my part and is not done automatically over the air, is it?

2. Any idea when the Sprint upgrade is coming out? If I decide to buy the phone I guess I will want to make sure I do it before the upgrade.

3. Are there any meaningful improvements with 4.5 that I will be missing out on by staying with the 4.3 OS?
1. Yes, there is nothing forcing you to upgrade to 4.5 when it comes out. However, Sprint might upgrade for you if you take it in for service sometime in the future.

2. Latest rumors I read about are early November. I doubt that Sprint will update all the phones currently produced and in their pipeline, though.

3. Yes, primarily HTML email.
Closed Thread