BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
luxurynick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: verizon
Default Class 6 or Class 4 microSD card?

Please Login to Remove!

Will I notice a difference on the Bold if I use a Class 6 microSD over a 4 or 2?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Ben850
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: G1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (T-Mobile 8120)

The phone can't handle media that would excede the transfer flow of even a class 1 card, so if I was you, I would just go with whatever is cheaper
Old 12-05-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
culture
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben850 View Post

The phone can't handle media that would excede the transfer flow of even a class 1 card, so if I was you, I would just go with whatever is cheaper
Not true. I bought a cheapo 2gb card, and then upgraded to a class 4 4gb card and noticed a huge difference.

That said, id imagine id see faster load times with a class 6 over a class 4 as well.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
vhato

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T

I was wondering this as well. Will the electronics in the Bold take advantage beyond Class 1.

We may test at work and see, but all I have are Class 2 and Class 4 I think.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
uberlawyer

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

The bold per se aside, it would make a difference when using the computer to transfer to/from the card, as well as when popping the card directly into a reader.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
anonova

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

also, to prevent confusion, there's no such thing as class 1 cards.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
Ben850

Model: G1
Carrier: T-Mobile

With my experiences, I haven't had any issues streaming 1020p media from my class 2 card onto my xbox (and out to my TV) and I don't see anything on the bold (or any phone in existance ATM) requiring more bandwidth from the card than that.

Like you all have mentioned, it makes a big difference if you're transfering files from a computer that are multi gigabytes. But I also don't know any exact numbers because I just "set it and forget it"
Old 12-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxurynick View Post
Will I notice a difference on the Bold if I use a Class 6 microSD over a 4 or 2?

Thanks in advance.
There are noticeable differences, but not as huge as in a digital camera or desktop card reader.

For example, shorter save times for photographs and videos were one of the noticeable benefits. Also the lag caused by thumbnail generation gets slightly shorter. Also copying files to/from the BlackBerry in Mass Storage mode -- like copying 500 megabytes of video files. There are, however, a clear point of diminishing returns, since the Bold processors are not as fast as a desktop quadcore CPU, for example...

A faster card will have a noticeable benefit even if not as dramatic as hoped -- if it's only $10 more, it's definitely worth paying the extra $10 to take consecutive photographs slightly faster.

Important note: Different class 2 cards vary sometimes dramatically: Some class 2 cards are pretty good -- they just might fail in one class 4 or 6 metric but still have the transfer speed of a class 6 card "most of the time". That's been my experience. Classes are just standards that encopass multiple metrics such as sustained transfer speed, random-access speed, including sustained speed through fragmented files, etc. A good brand of Class 2 card may have Class 6 speed on un-fragmented files, but not on fragmented files, which disqualifies it from being labelled as Class 6.

Bottom line: Yes, faster cards makes a difference. But classes are a bit 'fuzzier' than it looks on the cover.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 12-05-2008 at 03:57 PM..
Old 12-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
fish2find
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: the tail on the Donkey!
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
Important note: Different class 2 cards vary sometimes dramatically: Some class 2 cards are pretty good -- they just might fail in one class 4 or 6 metric but still have the transfer speed of a class 6 card "most of the time". That's been my experience. Classes are just standards that encopass multiple metrics such as sustained transfer speed, random-access speed, including sustained speed through fragmented files, etc. A good brand of Class 2 card may have Class 6 speed on un-fragmented files, but not on fragmented files, which disqualifies it from being labelled as Class 6.
I appreciate this write up much. I have looked, searched ect for "Class information" and am having trouble to dial into a spec sheet for what separates the classes and what they look for ect. Any chance you have anything detailed like that expands on this or can point me to the right direction?

Thanks in advance,