BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #21
Bear
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

Please Login to Remove!

When I was looking for something to replace my damaged Nokia 6600, I asked my TMob rep about the Sidekick and the Blackberry.

He told me rather flatly, "Unless you're running an enterprise server, get the SKII."

I took his advice and within about a week I deeply regretted it.

The SKII is a very refined device hardware-wise. It has many nice features (best speakerphone I've ever used on a mobile) and a lot of promise.

The issue that made me switch to the 7230 was that the SKII is not a stable device in any sense of the word.

Over the month or so that I used it, I lost my GPRS access more than half the time. Danger warned everyone that they were doing an update that would cause SK users to be without data for about 12 hours. That turned into 5 days, and my data access was worse afterwards.

In the next few weeks, there were three major outages that lasted days.

I don't know if the SK just got too popular for Danger or what, but these are issues I've not had with the Blackberry. It's faster, easier to use, offers more robust email and PIM solutions. In short, for me, it's just the better device.

YMMV of course.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:44 PM   #22
DrFooMod2

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNobrega
1) email - MUCH better email client, and fully supports multiple accounts (BB will receive multiple accounts, but you can only send from one... two if you have BES)
This is absolutely incorrect information. I am living proof. I am using a 7100t and I have two seperate email accounts both being fed to the device via Desktop Redirector. One is running on my desktop at work and it's backed by an Exchange server, and the second is running on my desktop at home and is backed by a .pst file.

Futhermore, when I reply, the BlackBerry knows which Redirector sent the message to my handheld, and uses the appropriate reply address.

Mark -- You need to add this to the FAQ.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:53 PM   #23
MaxPower

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT
Default 7520 Replacing multiple devices

If you use direct connect on your i730 constantly throughout the day, you will be extremely dissapointed with the 7520. If you only use it a few times a day like I do, you'll probably be ok. Little things that you've probably become accustomed to on the i730 - like being able to view the time and date of recent pings and alerts that you may have missed are not as accessible on the 7520.

Also if you don't respond to a ping fast enough, the call will dissapear from the main screen and you have to space bar to bring it up again. Which if you're like me and you sometimes need a few seconds to curse the person you're talking to before you respond, you'll also be very frustrated.

Bottom line -- The 7520 is BY FAR the worst Nextel device out there for Direct Connect. It is also the most difficult to use phone.

But if you can no longer stand carrying around a seperate Nextel, Phone, and PDA, then it's the best choice. But be prepared to compromise a little.

Last edited by MaxPower; 03-22-2005 at 08:29 AM..
Old 03-22-2005, 10:23 PM   #24
joey3002

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile

i dont know.. i liked the sidekick. my major complaint with bb is the low ringer. if you want to use the bb as a phone, be very aware that is has a VERY low ringer volume, that cant be adjusted. other than that and voice dialing, its a great unit..
Old 03-23-2005, 09:24 PM   #25
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: The New AT&T

Stay with Tmobile. You get more bang for your buck.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 04-24-2005, 05:20 PM   #26
spblat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mo
Default SKII to 7100T experiences

I'm on day two [EDIT: nine] of my transition from SideKick II to 7100T. I didn't expect phone nirvana (nor did I experience it with the SK), and my expectations are more or less met.

Things I miss about my SideKick II
  • Ability to define source address for each outbound email (and BBReply is no help so far). But since ultimately I'll use BES for one account and BWC for another this shouldn't be an issue.
  • Killer keyboard
  • Easy way to adjust brightness to match surroundings
  • Screen quite visible in sunlight
  • Killer AIM (but Rambler is looking pretty good)
  • Gmap <-- click that link to learn more
  • Automatic sound profiles by time (but at least I can turn on and off on a schedule, almost as good)
  • Per-caller ringtones
  • Stability (two random reboots so far during my first 24 hours, but almost none since)

But there are definitely benefits to having made the switch:
  • Higher Res screen
  • "Pull out of holster to open new message or answer call" feature is super-cool
  • Durability track record
  • Better data security
  • Smaller
  • Enterprise friendly (this is huge)
  • LOTS more apps
  • Blackberryforums.com and Mark Rejhon
  • Click a phone number anywhere to dial it
  • Save entire web pages, or images therein
  • Bluetooth

If anyone can help me get past some of the (admittedly minor) perceived weaknesses of my new toy, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by spblat; 05-03-2005 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: couple more thoughts
Old 04-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #27
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower
If you use direct connect on your i730 constantly throughout the day, you will be extremely dissapointed with the 7520. If you only use it a few times a day like I do, you'll probably be ok. Little things that you've probably become accustomed to on the i730 - like being able to view the time and date of recent pings and alerts that you may have missed are not as accessible on the 7520.

Also if you don't respond to a ping fast enough, the call will dissapear from the main screen and you have to space bar to bring it up again. Which if you're like me and you sometimes need a few seconds to curse the person you're talking to before you respond, you'll also be very frustrated.

Bottom line -- The 7520 is BY FAR the worst Nextel device out there for Direct Connect. It is also the most difficult to use phone.

But if you can no longer stand carrying around a seperate Nextel, Phone, and PDA, then it's the best choice. But be prepared to compromise a little.
Man I disagree I have had nextel since they came on the market I have used every palm available. I use the DC feature on my phone daily as project manager I mean that is the main use of the phone when I first bought it I didnt like it but now I cant put it down especially now that more apps are coming out for it. Since the upgrade on the os system on friday my causerie messenger works better the battery life is tremondously better I will never switch back to a regular nextel..
Closed Thread