Old 03-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
pvdiamon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: US Cellular
Default Frustration with RIM

Please Login to Remove!

I really like my BB, but RIM just seems incredibly unresponsive to consumers. My wife had some issues with a new Samsung Android phone, and was able to get excellent support from Samsung (when it went beyond the carrier's ability to help). When software companies have bugs in upgrades, they allow access to the prior version. For example, RIM notifies of upgrades for App World, and then fails to allow access to prior versions when it's buggy. I have been unable to contact them, email to help@rim gets an automated return. That was the only contact I could find on the website. (Has anyone successfully spoken/Emailed to someone at RIM? If so, please tell how!!)

Folks are saying RIM has been losing to other smart phones. I still think the product is a good one.....but when there is no customer service, this is where they will eventually lose...
Old 03-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Frustration with RIM

RIM will provide support to users for a fee. See for example the thread started buy The Sand on email security. But your carrier is first line of support, and as I understand it can refer you to RIM and you won't be charged. If your carrier didn't do that and you think it should have, your argument is with them and not RIM.

On access to old versions of the OS, again, the carriers release the OS to their users. The fact that you can obtain other OS versions from other carriers does not change that fact. At any rate, it's wise to download the installer files from your carrier, or wherever you get them, and keep them. Advice to anyone: Prepare ahead of time to downgrade before you upgrade.

RIM has it's challenges in the market place, but it is competing for users who want a certain smartphone experience, not winning on customer service.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
pvdiamon

Do you know of any way to get the prior version of App World from them or somewhere? I"m one of those poor souls who lost the icon, haven't been able to get the old version, and the only "fix" is reload the OS etc., with no guarantee of a fix. Lots of time wasted, if the old version would still work.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Ahh, you were referring to app world in your op and not the OS ... My eyes saw one thing and my brain read something else. My error.

Offhand I don't know how (or where) to obtain the old version. For what it's worth, I don't think it's a given that if you had the files for the old version that you could install the old version and not have the current problem. Maybe so. But I don't think it's a certainty.

If it were me, I'd do the wipe and reinstall. For what it's worth.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
pvdiamon

I know, lots of folks have that thought....I have a lot of apps from Mobihand, and don't miss App World that much....but if I reload it all, and still have no icon, which I've read can occur, I would become too self destructive! I wonder if the reason some of us have no icon is some sort of conflict, which means reloading all the apps may do the same. So, if I can't get the old version to try, I may just wait for a new phone. I am up for one by April, but may want to wait to see what BB is coming out with before just getting a Bold. Although irritated at this stuff, I am not yet ready to bolt to Android.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I've not done it, but if you don't already know about it, look at BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife (BBSAK). With it you can easily backup third-party apps, or so I understand.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
pvdiamon

I had taken a look at that. It was compelling, but I also saw a post saying that most of the apps still needed to tweaking to work right, which sounded like it defeated the purpose. Someone else said that if you don't reload your apps new, you may reload the old errors. Hard to be sure I guess. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
adperdue

Model: 9800
PIN: wheel
Carrier: ATT

I have found out that when installing another carriers OS, or deleting the vender.xml you will most likely eun into the app world problem.

There is, thankfully, an easy fix.

1. Connect your device to your PC via usb, and use BDM to remove App World.

2. Visit Download BlackBerry App World from your device browser

That's all there is to it.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
pvdiamon

Thanks for the suggestion but it did not work. I deleted app world via my BDM, and downloaded App World via OTA. No Icon. App World shows up in app lists as installed, but just won't display the Icon.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

That's interesting. Any idea exactly why? Seems like it shouldn't make any difference.

EDIT: Was responding to adperdue....But also now see the fix didn't work for OP.

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-07-2011 at 09:54 AM..
Old 03-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
pvdiamon

I have also tried installing via the computer (USB connected).....it appears that there is some flaw between App World and the OS that for some, the icon doesn't show. And the only "fix" seems to be the OS reinstall, but not a guaranteed fix either.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

hmm... are you SURE you don't have it accidentally hidden or moved to a folder?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
pvdiamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
hmm... are you SURE you don't have it accidentally hidden or moved to a folder?
Yes, I don't hide any icons, and I've checked and rechecked folders. It should be in my App folder as that's where it was, and it seems most reinstalls always return to the same place. Also not in Downloads. But just in case, I've checked elsewhere too.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #14
Thiego-uk

Model: SGS2
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Have you tried Twitter? Ive noticed many companies are way faster answering twitter enquires than emails. Obviously doesnt looks nice to receive a enquire and ignore it while you have thousands of ppl following you...
Closed Thread