BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
asinsh
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT
Default Does windows small business server have everything I need (other than BES)?

Please Login to Remove!

I've decided to take the plunge and set up my own windows server rather than using a third party exchange and BES host. Before I do that I want to make sure I am getting the right software.

I have heard that windows small business server 2003 already includes ms exchange 2003 so that out of the box I will have everything I need to set up outlook exchange accounts for my client outlooks. Is that correct? Does that mean that if I want to configure my blackberry to wirelessly sync calendar, contacts, tasks etc. with outlook on a client pc all I need is to set up a server running windows small business server and install BES on it?

I am assuming windows small business server is really windows server with a low limit for the number of clients...is that correct? Is there any reason for me not to go with windows small business server assuming I will have no more than 5 client pcs? Any reason to spend the extra money to buy windows server SP1 or R2?
Old 06-19-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
ld-runner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

SBS 2003 is a perfect solultion for up to 50 clients. However, installing BES on top of it would be a mistake. Get yourself the SBS 2003 but plan on running BES 4.1 on another machine. SBS 2003 has a fully functional exchange server minus a few features that would only apply to very large companies.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
asinsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ld-runner
SBS 2003 is a perfect solultion for up to 50 clients. However, installing BES on top of it would be a mistake. Get yourself the SBS 2003 but plan on running BES 4.1 on another machine...
Thanks for the feedback. But you lost me on that part about installing BES on another machine. I thought BES had to be installed with MS Exchange (on a windows server). What am I missing?
Old 06-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
asinsh

Ok, I've now reviewed some of the installation documentation and I see that some people keep BES and/or MDS on a separate machine to minimize resource drain. But I am assuming that for private use (only one blackberry user using BES and only 4 clients using MS exchange for their outlook clients) resources are not an issue. So am I correct that I can install everything on one machine (windows small business server, MS exchange and BES) wihtout any real sacrifice of performance?
Old 06-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
ld-runner

it is not a resource concern as much as a single point of failure concern.
installing BES onto a SBS 2003 server will not cause any performance issues with 4 users. there may be other issues that come up though that cannot even be thought of right now. port usage conflicts are what first pop into my head.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
DoomBringer

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

You're not supposed to install MAPI clients on an Exchange server, generally. BES is one such client.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
asinsh

So what is the recommended configuration? Should I stick windows Small Business Server with MS Exchange on one pc and stick BES and MDS on a plain old XP Pro or Home computer that is on the same LAN?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:05 AM   #8
ld-runner

you won't be able to run BES from XP Pro. Windows Server (either 2000 SP4 or 2003 SP1) I run mine on Server 2000 SP4 on a PIII 550 with only 512 MB of Ram and it is more than enough. On the BES server, all the things you need are part of the BES install except the MAPI client. The MAPI client RIM recommends is the Exchange System Manger plug in. That program should be available on the SBS 2003 disk somewhere. Look in /Exchange/Setup/i386/setup.exe
Old 06-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #9
asinsh

Quote:
you won't be able to run BES from XP Pro. Windows Server (either 2000 SP4 or 2003 SP1)...
Thanks for the input, ld-runner. But I'm confused because I see in the BES express thread that people are claiming to have installed BES express on a regular XP box (see http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...6&postcount=76 and http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...3&postcount=84 )

So, I'll be setting up windows small business server and ms exchange on one box, but I'd really love to have the second box be a regular XP workstation. I suppose I can 'activate' the workstation capacity of windows server for that second box (I've read posts in other places explaining exactly how to do that) but I'd prefer to avoid the cost of a second copy of windows server if I can.

Is it clear that you can't get BES server up and running on an XP box?

One more question: I've set up ms exchange in the past so I know I can get that part done...is that the hard part of the exercise? Once you've got ms exchange up and running, is BES express relatively straightforward to do or is that a bear too?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
ld-runner

[QUOTE=asinsh]Thanks for the input, ld-runner. But I'm confused because I see in the BES express thread that people are claiming to have installed BES express on a regular XP box (see http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...6&postcount=76 and http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...3&postcount=84 )

the system requirements directly from RIM are for Windows Server 2000 SP4 or Windows Server 2003 SP 1.
Just because some forum users run BES 4.1 on Xp Pro does not mean it is supported or recommended. The price difference on XP Pro licensing and Server 2000 single user licensing is minimal.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:51 AM   #11
asinsh

Quote:
...Just because some forum users run BES 4.1 on Xp Pro does not mean it is supported or recommended. The price difference on XP Pro licensing and Server 2000 single user licensing is minimal.
Actually, to me the price differential is the full price of a copy of server 2000 single user, since I already have licensed copies of XP Pro. But perhaps more important, I really want to use the second box as a workstation (I don't want to dedicate two separate boxes to this effort). I have read about enabling server boxes as work stations...is that something that works well enough to be worth pursuing? And as long as I'm at it, is that something I can do with the server on which I'll run ms exchange?

Thanks again for your bearing with me and answering my pretty basic questions.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #12
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20878533

Given a server with planty of RAM and a <2 year old, fast CPU, I don't see in issue with hosting a <20 user BES on top of the company's main mail server (<100 users), at least in a Lotus Domino environment.

Maybe the BES (+SQL backend for BES) and Exchange, on top of file and print and Active Directory is too much to ask of SBS 2003? But I wouldn't think so. If I was worried I'd get something like a HP ProLiant DL380 G4, get 6 15k 146GB SCSI drives, and run 3 sets of RAID1 and split out the load among the three sets of RAID1 spindles. But recent 10K drives would probably be fast enough (and you can get 300GB capacity).

maybe split it this way..
drive 1: OS / Exchange logs
drive 2: Exchange store
drive 3: BES / file server data / printer spools
Old 06-21-2006, 11:16 AM   #13
asinsh

Actually, I'm talking about only a single BES user and no more than five MS exchange users, on a dedicated server with 2gb of ram and a pretty new dual core cpu (way more power than I need for the task but it's what I have lying around right now). But I thought that ld-runner was getting at port conflicts and other problems rather than at basic resource limitations.

I may go ahead and try the single machine process just to see what happens.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #14
ld-runner

my concern was for port 8080 which Tomcat wants to use. ( of course it is confirgurable) but after google'ing SBS 2003 i found out that SBS 2003 does not use port 8080. I thought that SBS came packaged with ISA server (which uses port 8080), but it would appear that it does not. If it does tho, you will have a conflict.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #15
asinsh

Quote:
my concern was for port 8080 which Tomcat wants to use. ( of course it is confirgurable) but after google'ing SBS 2003 i found out that SBS 2003 does not use port 8080. I thought that SBS came packaged with ISA server (which uses port 8080), but it would appear that it does not. If it does tho, you will have a conflict.
Aha...so does that mean that I should be able to put everything onto one pc without problems (since I am only serving one BES user and five exchange users)?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #16
ld-runner

since i have a support contract i called RIM. and here is what they said, "we do not 'recommend' doing that, however, we will support it". In real world speak, what that means is that when you call RIM and ask for help, their tech is going to say, we would like to help you, but we recommend that you install BES on a seperate member server. LMAO

as a side note Alan, it really does not matter if it is 1 or 100 users. you keep saying its only for 1 users.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #17
asinsh

Quote:
since i have a support contract i called RIM. and here is what they said, "we do not 'recommend' doing that, however, we will support it". In real world speak, what that means is that when you call RIM and ask for help, their tech is going to say, we would like to help you, but we recommend that you install BES on a seperate member server. LMAO

as a side note Alan, it really does not matter if it is 1 or 100 users. you keep saying its only for 1 users.
Great info. I'm grateful for your help, and I'll let you all know how it goes when I try this (hopefully this weekend).
Old 06-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #18
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinsh
Actually, to me the price differential is the full price of a copy of server 2000 single user, since I already have licensed copies of XP Pro. But perhaps more important, I really want to use the second box as a workstation (I don't want to dedicate two separate boxes to this effort). I have read about enabling server boxes as work stations...is that something that works well enough to be worth pursuing? And as long as I'm at it, is that something I can do with the server on which I'll run ms exchange?

Thanks again for your bearing with me and answering my pretty basic questions.
Alan

I have an SBS 2003 server (machine 1) and an XP pro macine running BES. Works fine for 4 users. Make sure half half decent spec and over-load the ram if you have a choice.

Ld-runner is correct in saying "its not officially supported" but then with only one or so users I'd just get on an do it on the XP box. If you hit issues then you can always pay later to go to W2k3 server
Old 06-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #19
asinsh

Again, thanks to everyone for all the help so far. Getting close to d-day and another question occurred to me. I see that people talk a lot about using MS SQL Server with BES. I don't have a copy of that (since my SBS server is standard rather than premium). Can I use mysql (of which I am very familiar) or do I need to get MS SQL Server?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:33 PM   #20
JuneK

Model: none
Carrier: none

The BES install will install a copy of MSDE (sp?) that subs fine for SQL server. SBS standard works fine. I'm using a one box solution for development testing purposes and haven't had any issues yet.
Closed Thread