Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #1
Walking Dichotomy

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Intermittent dead air without losing calls

Please Login to Remove!

I've spent several hours searching through these forums now, and I haven't seen my issue addressed, so I've gotta post:

I have an 8310 Titantium Curve, on AT&T.

(In addition to a dead external speaker, which I've determined is a separate issue) I've been experiencing intermittent dead air within calls, without those calls being dropped. I hear a dull click as the switch to dead air occurs, almost as though I've clicked over to another call--but it's solid DEAD air. It lasts a split second or so at a time, and will occur anywhere from once or twice in a single call, to not even being able to have a conversation b/c it's happening in a constant string.

When I first noticed it, it was a seriously windy day--and this might sound archaic, but I've noticed for years on other carriers, that signals here in Las Vegas get really spotty when the winds are high. But today, when there was no wind, and after a clean and fully successful call lasting over 30 minutes, the very next call--placed from precisely the same location as I ended the previous call--was so frought with these dead spaces that communication was impossible, so I hung up and tried to call back. Same thing. Meanwhile, I could send texts, check email, etc., just fine.

On two occasions since I've had my Curve (Jan '08), I've gotten a message the the SIM wasn't recognized on the network. (I did a hard reset on those occasions.) Do I just have a bad SIM? Will AT&T replace it if so?

Between this and the bad speaker, I should probably return it under warranty, but I'm wary of getting a "refurbished" unit--seems like that would be just inheriting someone else's problems...

Ideas?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
Guess Who?
No longer Registered.

Model: 7520
Carrier: ATT

A refurbished units is what you will get. That is unless your unit is under 30 days old and then you can go in and demand a new unit.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Walking Dichotomy

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who? View Post
A refurbished units is what you will get. That is unless your unit is under 30 days old and then you can go in and demand a new unit.
Yes, thank you. But that's the part for which I already guessed the answer. What I'm trying to discover by posting here is why the "dead air" pockets are happening in the first place, in the hopes of avoiding having to activate my warranty and receiving a refurbished phone.

Does anyone have any ideas about THAT? Does it sound like I have a bad SIM?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
stoliosoda

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default I had the same thing! Intermittent dead air - speaker cuts out

I bought a used unlocked 8310 (was originally on Suncom's network - I use it on a T-Mobile Pre-pay) and found the same exact problem - it is absolutely maddening when it occurs - makes you want to throw the thing out the window.

I do not believe it is the SIM - I have used the same SIM in three other phones without this issue occurring. I am upgrading the firmware to 4.2.2 release 332 to see if that fixes it. This is the file I'm using:

8310M_PBr4.2.2_rel332_PL2.5.0.35_A4.2.2.181_SunCom .exe

I will report back on whether or not this made a difference. I hope it does!
Old 12-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
precision80
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmobile

i have the same problem, you will actually find that the person on the other end can still hear you but you cant hear them.

Ive managed to get the sound back by switching between speaker phone and then handset. I think its a software issue.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
JustinFYI

Carrier: Rogers (Canada)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision80 View Post
i have the same problem, you will actually find that the person on the other end can still hear you but you cant hear them.

Ive managed to get the sound back by switching between speaker phone and then handset. I think its a software issue.
Yep, I can relate as well. In fact a couple of other things I noticed:
  1. When initiating voice dialing, the "say a command" voice may cut in and out.
  2. During a call, the other end will hear distortion of your voice while it appears like your voice is going nowhere.
  3. The volume indicator jumps

Anyway, I tried your idea Precision and no joy. I'll upgrade to the latest firmware and let y'all know what happens with my cracked up and possessed 'lil beastie.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
JustinFYI

Carrier: Rogers (Canada)
Thumbs up Solution to my intermitent dead air and choppy audio

Ok, so the upgrade to the latest firmware did work.

Just know this: it takes a while to do...at least it did on my Pentium4 XP machine. And on many occasions I thought the install froze...but be very very patient...it takes 2-3 hours from the moment you download to the time you complete the setup wizard on your CrackedBerry. My eyes have gone completely buggy...

Make sure you've got something else to do while your at it.

Ciao,
Justin
Old 12-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
VydorScope
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Dichotomy View Post
Yes, thank you. But that's the part for which I already guessed the answer. What I'm trying to discover by posting here is why the "dead air" pockets are happening in the first place, in the hopes of avoiding having to activate my warranty and receiving a refurbished phone.

Does anyone have any ideas about THAT? Does it sound like I have a bad SIM?
My suggestions...

1) Try the latest OS for your phone to eliminate a software issue, see the stick thread in this forum for your model of Berry

2) If that does not work, ask ATT to replace the SIM. Its likely not the SIM, but better to eliminate it since its easy.

3) Give up and get the phone replaced.
Closed Thread