BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
mjbanks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Having problems with AT&T, How does Tour compare to Bold?

Please Login to Remove!

Been having some trouble with AT&T and dropping a lot of calls. I'll be sitting in my house with full 3G signal strength and the call just drops. It's happening in multiple locations around town with all 3 phones on my family plan. While I love the Bold, I need working service, so I'm debating switching to Verizon.

In terms of everyday usage, how does the Tour fare as compared to the Bold? I know it has 256mb app memory vs. the Bold's 128mb, but it also has a slower processor. I don't really use WiFi on my Bold as it is, so not having that doesn't concern me too much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Megkins
Thumbs Must Hurt

You sound JUST like me. I had the same issues, dropped calls etc., so I went to Verizon thinking the Tour would work for me. I just didn't like it. I mean it's pretty much the same thing OS wise, but for me, I couldn't get over how it looked (which is not so important to some) and it just felt so cheap. The Bold is just seems very well put together and durable, and it's beautiful. Anyway....that's all I have to say since I felt like the OS part of it was pretty much the same. Verizon is also slightly more expensive, but I sure didn't have ANY dropped calls. The service with them, although short lived, was great. I couldn't get over the looks of the Tour though and don't like the rest of Verizon's phone selection so I am back to AT&T with the Bold. The weird thing is, I am not dropping calls as much anymore....
Old 10-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

And if you decide to switch to the Tour, you won't have 3G on the Tour, just EDGE. In which case, you may as well switch to the 8900.

Make sure the Bold has the LATEST available OS from AT&T.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
miamirulz29
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: N/A

will you stay on att with an unlocked tour or switch to verizon?
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
y.bb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: More bars in Less places

I've tested both extensively. I'm going to provide some device-based differences and carrier-based differences below:

Device-based differences:
1. The obvious...the Bold is bigger. The Tour is small and, to me, gives off a cheaper feel than the Bold.
2. I found the Bold keyboard MUCH easier to type on. Even though it's the same "type" of keyboard, its keys are larger and easier to press.
3. The trackball on the Tour seemed to be more resistant to sweaty hands. (I know, there were reports of it being the worst trackball ever, but I found the experience to be just the opposite.)
4. No WiFi on Tour. This means no simultaneous data and voice. (Read below about that)

Carrier-based differences:
1. Tour on Verizon simply does not drop calls in service areas. Bold on AT&T drops calls potentially anywhere in a full coverage area.
2. AT&T 3G (UMTS) allows for simultaneous data and voice. Verizon 3G (EVDO) does not.
3. While tethering on VerizonBerry, your BB will have no data capabilities whatsoever. Data on the Tour is disabled while your computer receives all data transmission through the device.
4. Because data transmissions are interrupted by default by incoming calls and SMS, you may experience problems in the middle of a data transmission if interrupted. For example, if while downloading an application an SMS message comes through, thus interrupting your application download, your download may simply hang and you might have to start the process all over again. This is another disadvantage of not having simultaneous data and voice.
5. I found Verizon's services to be cheaper. That is, I do unlimited everything including BES and tethering for $165/mo, while equivalent service on AT&T is $180. Also, I can text Canada for free on Verizon; no can do on AT&T

Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
Megkins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the trackball issue--I agree with y.bb. The tour trackball sucked (at least mine did). It didn't respond as well as my bold. I guess that just falls under the "it just felt so cheap" comment I made.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Satypos

Model: 8700c
PIN: N/A

I switched 3 weeks ago from ATT 8310 to VZ Tour bc I was battery pulling several times a day. The Tour is incredibly fast, especailly noticeable on the web. In Tampa and Omaha (the one trip I took with it), coverage was a bit less (1-2 bars). I dropped 2 calls in the 2 weeks I had it traveling on the I-75 corridor. To be fair, I've dropped 1 outside DC in the 2 weeks I've had the Bold.

But the big show-stopper for me, which I couldn't find anywhere on the forums, is multi-call management. I spend all day on the phone and am on 2 calls simultaneously several times a day. ATT OS has the nice New Call and Swap functions in the phone menu, but VZ only has Flash. And the display doesn't update properly. If you are on a call and take a 2nd incoming call, the display will update to show you are on the 2nd call, but when you Flash back, it doesn't change. So you have to ask, "Who am I talking to?" I think you'll agree that isn't professional. If you are on a call and need to make another, like to call someone to remind them they are late for a meeting on the bridge line, you select Flash and the display doesn't update to let you know you are ready to make the 2nd call, even after it connects. Finally, if you on two calls (like that 2nd call got you a voicemail box), and you Flash back, it may disconnect or join the calls in a 3-way, again with no display change to indicate this. I was sure this had to be a defective handheld so I called VZ Support and they confirmed this on another Tour and agreed that was BS.

So now I'm back to ATT with a 9000 and I love everything, except the horrible battery life. My IT originally kept me away from the Bold bc of the 3G-2G transition issue on ATT, but that has recently been patched and it's working great for me. The keyboard is the best of my 4 BBs and I type a lot of emails on it. Bluetooth seems to be more reliable with my car than the others. There is tons of memory. The 4.6 OS is nice, almost identical from what I noticed to the 4.7 on the Tour, except for the stupid Flash thing. And minor, but the Bold has a Mini-B connector so all my chargers and extra USB cables are compatible. The Tour has the smaller Micro-B.

Sorry for the verbosity.
Closed Thread