SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanus
Just saw this thread and thought I'd try it. Mine is red. Was easy enough. I just carefully pried off the outer ring with a pen tip and colored the LED.

The only way I can think of to remove the color would be to take a Q-Tip barely dipped in fingernail polish and carefully wipe off the coloring.
Red is cool. I was thinking about that color, but went with blue because I like blue lights, LED or otherwise.

See my earlier post talking about nail polish remover. I say that is a no go.

But denatured alcohol should work fine. Or as some know, hair spray removes Sharpie marks. [That's a secret that many people don't know about].
Old 02-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #82
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

I just did it using a blue dry-erase marker, which should be easier to remove than a sharpie. It looks great, but I'll have to see if the color holds.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:02 PM   #83
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan
I just did it using a blue dry-erase marker, which should be easier to remove than a sharpie. It looks great, but I'll have to see if the color holds.
Excellent

SideNote: Love your SoftRest program. I'm donating after this post.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #84
anthonyp20

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanus
..Mine is red. Was easy enough...

pic??
Old 02-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #85
jorv88
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-mo

my idea of changing the color of the l.e.d is to take clear tape and just cut out a small circle then just color it with the marker and place the tape over the l.e.d that way u not worry about if the marker is removable..
Old 02-08-2007, 11:37 PM   #86
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorv88
my idea of changing the color of the l.e.d is to take clear tape and just cut out a small circle then just color it with the marker and place the tape over the l.e.d that way u not worry about if the marker is removable..
Touche sir, very good idea.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #87
kleanthisa

SanFran - can you post some info on your theme or at least where to find some info on it? I'm dieing to get it. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:18 AM   #88
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Old 02-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #89
DreamAngele
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonbomb1987
Seems like a viable idea, but its gonna be hard to keep the piece from moving around in there. I also have a question for the ladies of this forum. I am really keen to try the sharpie on the LED trick an wanted to know how good nail polish remover is at taking the sharpie color off of the LED if i dont like it or wanna change the color. I am a 19 year old male who know diddly squat about makeup. Thanks in advance.
There are two different types of nail polish, one that contains acetone and one that does not (since you can't use acetone on fake nails - they'll melt) I would expect that the non-acetone remover should work just fine on a small LED provided you don't get it on the circuitry. I know for a fact it will remove sharpie from a white board! haha.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #90
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamAngele
There are two different types of nail polish, one that contains acetone and one that does not (since you can't use acetone on fake nails - they'll melt) I would expect that the non-acetone remover should work just fine on a small LED provided you don't get it on the circuitry. I know for a fact it will remove sharpie from a white board! haha.
K, thanks for your help. When i get sick of the green trackball i will have to get a girlfriend to use her nail polish remover. Just kidding, ill just ask one of my neighbors.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #91
SanFrancisco

Quote:
K, thanks for your help. When i get sick of the green trackball i will have to get a girlfriend to use her nail polish remover. Just kidding, ill just ask one of my neighbors.
Go to any hardware store and get a can of denatured alcohol. Far better than nail polish remover and cheaper too.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #92
DreamAngele

All you boys are so scared of nail polish remover! It's like $0.99 at any drug store. Who knows, maybe buying it will even make people think you *DO* have a girlfriend!
Old 02-10-2007, 03:14 AM   #93
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

I think my next project will be to take the keypad off and color the LED's underneath of it. It just looks odd because the trackball is a blueish green but the keypad is still white.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #94
jorv88
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I think my next project will be to take the keypad off and color the LED's underneath of it. It just looks odd because the trackball is a blueish green but the keypad is still white.
dude i was just thinking the same thing any threads about how to remove the keypad?????
Old 02-10-2007, 11:01 PM   #95
SanFrancisco

Quote:
dude i was just thinking the same thing any threads about how to remove the keypad?????
There's a sticky on disassembling the Pearl. I think I am going to pass for now on taking it apart, it looks a little too tricky for someone like me to simply handle in quick fashion. I don't want to risk breaking any parts.

I asked "ThumbsMustHurt" post some pics on the procedure [since he says he did it in just a few minutes], but he said he does not have time to provide pics or a tutorial. I asked him to do it because he typically is able to do stuff in 1/10th of the time it takes me to do things.

So guess it is up to someone else or you can wait for me to spend some time doing it.

Look at the sticky if you want to tackle it and share.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #96
timabe

Model: Curve
Default Piece of cake

I just colored my LED blue and put it all back together in less than 5 minutes. The blue color looks GREAT!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #97
cybermikey3
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

colored led blue, then did the leds under the keypad... always wanted a pearl with blue lit keys
Old 02-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #98
DreamAngele

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermikey3
colored led blue, then did the leds under the keypad... always wanted a pearl with blue lit keys

Do you have a pic?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:45 PM   #99
jorv88
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
i have a green,red,blue trackball but know i wanna know how to color the keypad>>> any 1 know how to do this
Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #100
GrayPenguin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23EAF79C

Follow the disassembly instructions (it's a sticky) and then color the leds the same way as the one under the pearl. I did it and it works great. Be sure to wear gloves to avoid ugly fingerprints on your screen.
Closed Thread