nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltee View Post
Absolutely, this forum is here to help, not to knock other who ask for an answer to something they do not know. Even worse is answering a question incorrectly.................. So sorry guys, but yes this is possible, but it does come with a hitch. The hitch is that you can do this, if you have access to a blackberry server of some type, whether it's the express or full. You will need to have the Blackberry Desktop manager installed for use with a server as well. Using the usb cable or paired up via Bluetooth, you can use the "Wireless Bypass" feature for data. The router will use port 4101 to connect back to the server, so you may need to modify your firewall settings to allow this. When this is set up it makes you feel like you are running on a broadband connection. An additional bonus is that you can also send and receive email while you are on the phone. If needed I can further document, but it is fairly easy to put together. Cheers All.
That doesnt work. You still need a connection to get to your BES server. The Blackberry does not have any form of local wireless network capability. You use your phone service to connect to your BES. You can get faster because your not going through Blackberry servers ... but point is that without paying for a data plan. A BES server installed on a local computer is useless because you would not be able to connect to it. Maybe via a USB cable? I dont know if thats possible ... but who would want to use USB to get internet when you are connected to a computer anyway? lol
Old 07-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #42
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

My .02 worth on this entire thread....

If some people would spend HALF the time learning about their device as they do trying to rip the carriers off many of these discussions would never happen....

Do I get any change back from my .02???

Kris
Old 07-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #43
BBGregPearl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post

If some people would spend HALF the time learning about their device as they do trying to rip the carriers off many of these discussions would never happen....

Kris
I would have to agree with you.

How much are you looking to get back?

Now with the new and improved 8530.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #44
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post

Kris
I fully agree.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #45
baltee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: All
PIN: ..
Carrier: Rogers

Hey guys, I didn't tag this thread for followup, but i've done so now. I'll put together a straight forward, easy to follow step-by-step. The no data plan, refers to not having to subscribe to the blackberry data plan for surfing the net, downloading applications, or even a bit of cached email. I use this in my day to day. This is not meant to bypass having an internet connection externally, I have no idea how one could possibly think that, but it is meant to allow one to have data flow on a device that doesn't have a data plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Comes with a hitch?
I'm going out on a limb here... but I doubt the OP wants to be carrying around a BES and/or a laptop in their backpack and having to hook it up to some public internet connection each time they wanted to tether their Blackberry to their "mobile" network each time they wanted to get Free internet access on their device.

C'mon now... what you're suggesting is absolutely ridiculous, and most certainly NOT FREE.
Who pays for the Internet connection that the BES is hooked up to?
How would this setup work while the user is mobile? (Which is the whole point of a mobile device, remember?)
There's so much additional cost, equipment, and setup for a solution like this that it makes it worthless to even try it.
Maybe it works for you in your office, or your lab, but suggesting this to the common user is a dumb idea.
Who said anything about carrying around a BES... And who said anything about it being 100% free... Nothing is 100% free, someone is always paying something. The point of this, is just simply to get data to the device without having a Data Plan. Who cares about who pays for the Internet connection that the BES is hooked up to anyways, if a BES is running somewhere, it's generally connected to a high speed connection of some sort and besides, that's not at all what we're talking about here. That's like thinking that I should be concerned about who's paying for the connection when I open up an internet browser on a computer...... Come on.. Isn't the actual point of a mobile device, to be able to carry information with you, like calendar, contacts, notes, tasks and perhaps a little entertainment? Having a phone and data capability built in to a device is a great convenience, (for some, a necessity) but this market was started with devices that initially had no wireless capabilities, like the Palm Pilots.

As for the Cost for equiptment, setup, etc... Who said anything about a cost being associated with this... or are you meaning the cost of the data for downloading the "Free" software, or the data connection to an existing already setup BES with an unused license?

Perhaps you can speak for the Common User, whatever classification you may wish to place one as, but for me anyone Interested in the information is welcome to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
You say it's "fairly easy" to put together? Yeah, OK. Try to put it together outside of your home and/or office.
I think your "comes with a hitch" comment is a just a *tad* of an understatement.
As mentioned before, I use this day to day, both in and out of the office/home. I carry multiple wireless devices and while I have multiple sim cards, not always do I have all of the blackberries, treo or Windows Mobile devices loaded with them. So having this capability is handy when doing demo's at trade shows, training session, etc.

I also have many clients that I've setup on this and they use it in daily as well. If you are simply looking for some data flow on a device, it's a great solution and the "comes with a hitch", isn't all that big. They simply do it to save data costs for the high users, or for some of the users that have phone only, it allows them to use email while they are on company premises or at their homes. Kinda convenient if you are a company trying to save some money and having each employee with a mobile phone is a little bit of a budget stretch, let alone a data plan on all the devices.

I have to wonder if you have the same kind of objections to Wi-Fi enabled blackberries? They do work well and are suprisingly fast. We are just doing something similar with the Bluetooth capable blackberries, simple as that.

If anyone reads the wrong tone into this message, please do not. I have nothing against the user that I am quoting, in fact, I don't believe that I have corresponded with this user before, but I do have an issue with something being offered or a question being replied to and then a solution being called absolutely "Ridiculous". If you don't want to know the answer, then when I post the step-by-step, don't read or follow it. If you feel you have to purchase additional equiptment or buy something to complete the steps, then that's your choice, but the steps to follow and the software to complete them is currently free.

Cheers All.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #46
baltee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
That doesnt work. You still need a connection to get to your BES server. The Blackberry does not have any form of local wireless network capability. You use your phone service to connect to your BES. You can get faster because your not going through Blackberry servers ... but point is that without paying for a data plan. A BES server installed on a local computer is useless because you would not be able to connect to it. Maybe via a USB cable? I dont know if thats possible ... but who would want to use USB to get internet when you are connected to a computer anyway? lol
If you have a Blackberry with bluetooth, and a bluetooth connection to your desktop/laptop/etc, you have a way to get to your BES and you have a local wireless PAN. And all traffic with this bypass routes through the BES, or at least components thereof. I agree, if I'm infront of a computer, I'll galdly use it's browser instead of the Berry..... (Sometimes getting that large BBTV update or running the streaming audio client via usb or Bluetooth is much nicer than exceeding the monthly DAP allotment and paying overages...)

Cheers
Old 07-25-2007, 02:46 PM   #47
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

baltee, when you are going to post the step by step instructions on how to do this, you've only been asked like 2-3 times in this and another thread.

I think you are being defensive about this for no reason--no one is complaining that you have made it work, it's nice that you have. It's just that you won't explain the process to anyone else by posting the step by step instructions.

I think we are especially interested in the "I use this day to day, both in and out of the office/home" part. Whose wireless are you using?

Last edited by JSanders; 07-25-2007 at 02:49 PM..
Old 07-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #48
baltee

Granted perhaps I was just caught on a bad day. I'll post details for the weekend. I had forgotten about the other thread, that was quite a while ago. Part of the fun with being too busy......... Cheers.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #49
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

uh, yea. lol
Old 07-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #50
ZeroKool

Model: 8330
PIN: nope
Carrier: verizon

I'm gunna have to agree with baltee on this one. So far he has really been the only one to offer a *somewhat and hopefully soon* solution for the original poster's question. Regardless if it was a dumb question or if the question makes you angry or whatever. He's still the only one that has posted anything worth reading. Everyone else has decided to make this thread personal and voice their opinions about how wrong everyone else is.

All I'm saying is take it easy. It obvious that the orig poster was being a *not nice guy* with the way he posted this thread. So either say you know how to or that you don't. No reason to start a huge thread on what your definition of Free or stealing is.

If you all want to continue to argue about this then by all means continue. I just thought a view from the outside might help in realizing that we are not 12 years old and that we should be able to discuss things in a more productive manner. This is a Tech forum, not myspace

Last edited by ZeroKool; 07-25-2007 at 04:19 PM..
Old 07-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #51
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Thanks for those wise words Zero.

Baltee hasn't posted anything yet to prove or show that his method works. I wish he would, he's been asked several times over six months, but never any answer.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:27 PM   #52
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Thanks for those wise words Zero.

Baltee hasn't posted anything yet to prove or show that his method works. I wish he would, he's been asked several times over six months, but never any answer.
to me if he wont post and has been asked over six months then I would guess he dont have anything.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #53
ZeroKool

PIN: nope
Carrier: verizon

True he has not posted anything SOLID. The idea he talks about does make sense and in theory does work. From a BES Admin perspective anyways. It may not be *easy* like he says. But everyone's definition of easy is different.

I apologize for the foul language earlier. I have edited it. Thanks for pointing it out Jsanders. I know you enjoyed it, just like old times.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:10 PM   #54
baltee

Time passes too fast, I hadnt realized it was that long....>>> Anyways, I'll get something up later this evening. And hey.. thanks for the support

Cheers.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #55
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Cool, baltree, much appreciated... and answers to the questions-- oh I'll restate it just for kicks:

Whose wireless are you using, when you "use this day to day, both in and out of the office/home" ?

How does this work out of the office or home, i.e. in the car, at the mall, at a friends house or office?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #56
cuttingedgegraphics

Model: 7130e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: U.S. Cellular

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltee View Post
Time passes too fast, I hadnt realized it was that long....>>> Anyways, I'll get something up later this evening. And hey.. thanks for the support

Cheers.
Sounds good. I'm curious to see how this works also.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #57
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Hokus pokus.... Alakazam.....
Old 07-26-2007, 03:25 AM   #58
baltee

Quote:
Cool, baltree, much appreciated... and answers to the questions-- oh I'll restate it just for kicks:

Whose wireless are you using, when you "use this day to day, both in and out of the office/home" ?

How does this work out of the office or home, i.e. in the car, at the mall, at a friends house or office?
Woah... To answer the questions first. I use a cable modem connection at the office, proxied through a Bluetooth bypass I set up on one of our machines and I do the same at home.

I wouldn't call this a truely mobile solution, but it will work. When I am mobile I usually rely on the standard Blackberry DAP on my sim, but if I need to run in this fashion for a tradeshow/training at a clients office or just showing off a little, I'll proxy it via Bluetooth through my laptop connecting to the internet via Wi-FI, 10BT, or via Aircard. (I have this running on a both a WM5 and a linux device, to be used as a proxy, but the setup on these are pretty fun, but quite complicated, so I won't be getting into those two.)

Cheers
Old 07-26-2007, 04:34 AM   #59
baltee

Well, here's a quick writeup. I'll get into further details on the next one, but I figured I might as well get some of it up, besides as some other's have pointed out, the proof's in the pudding so to speak....

In the interest of getting some information up quickly, I will not be going into the bluetooth configuration for the desktop manager, but if you need information on how to do that, you can look at some of the other posts on this site. Personally I use a Bluetooth USB Dongle that came with the Motorola Mobile phone tools and have switched to using the WIDCOMM drivers instead of the Microsoft ones. Also in this first write up, for the sake of just simply getting something up, i will not be getting into BES details or performing a shunted BES install, well just simply say that you need access to an existing BES.

In order for this to work, you will need to install the Blackberry Desktop Manager for use with a Blackberry Server. Once installed, please reboot, it's just best practice...

Once the Blackberry Desktop manager is installed, you can then setup your bluetooth connection to the blackberry if you so wish. Depending on how the existing BES is setup and where it is located you may also have to have a port in the firewall opened for this. (4101 is the default for this). Your blackberry will need to be activated on the blackberry server, either via a simple cabled activation, or a standard wireless activation.

Next open the blackberry device manager and connect your blackberry either via USB or use Bluetooth. You may wish to change the Startup Settings to Start Blackberry Device Manager on system startup.

Next click on the Blackberry Router Configuration tab and select Enable User Defined Routers. Now Click Add Router and from the pop-up add either the IP Address or the URL of the BES.

Once completed, you should now be able to use the bypass service. Please note: on some BES setups, the IT Policies will have to be modified to allow this type of connection.

Image of Statistics example 3 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Blackberry Screen Shot running on a regular Blackberry DAP

Blackberry Screen Shot running on the Bypass

Hope this helps answer some questions. It's a pretty simple setup when you get right down to it, allowing you to download large amounts of information to your blackberry without being dinged for it on your data plan or without the necessity of even having a dataplan. Email and web browsing work and as a side, you can send out email while using the phone on the berry.

Cheers All

Last edited by baltee; 07-26-2007 at 04:48 AM..
Old 07-26-2007, 05:03 AM   #60
baltee

Quote:
I don't always follow the threads I post to, but if I run across one and someone asks a question, I'll simply post a yes it's able to be done, if it is. Time permitting I can provide the details, but the regular job working with clients BES's, Blackberries and other Wireless devices, takes precident so these other things can easily fall by the wayside. And with family in there too, I don't usually have alot of after hours time to play online. Now if it's an interesting challenge, that's can be a different story......... I've linked to this thread in my tracking though, so I'll endeavour to follow it.

Cheers

Last edited by baltee; 07-26-2007 at 05:05 AM..
Closed Thread