Old 10-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
blackapina69

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Red face New T-mobile OS v4.2.1.107

Please Login to Remove!

I don't much care for this new update and would like to revert to v4.2.0.64
I never had any issues with the previous OS or my Pearl 8100 prior to the new update. I just thought I had to do it.

I lost my browser and my Zen list theme and it's making me crazy! I've tried the steps mentioned on Kradest.com but I cannot access those files to make the changes.

I talked to the T-mobile PDA Support team and they can't even send me software for this version!

I'm hoping someone here can help. I would greatly appreciate anything.

Thank you!

Blackapina69
Old 10-08-2007, 12:06 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

If you truly want to downgrade your OS, here is what I suggest. You can't get it from TMo. You'll need to download it from another carrier's site. Don't worry, they're all the same regardless of what carrier released it.

Use the link below to find a version of the 4.2.0 software that you'd like to load back to your device. I recommend the 4.2.0.71 as it was the most solid of the 4.2.0 OS's.

Click the link below and search the "GSM" carrier's 8100 OS's for a copy of 4.2.0.71. Once you find it, download it to your PC. Delete the newer OS from your PC by going to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs. Then install the older one you just downloaded. Then locate and delete the file named "vendor.xml." When that's done, simply plug in your device, open Desktop Manager and run Application Loader. The loader will downgrade the OS.

BlackBerry Operating System Downloads - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 10-08-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
blackapina69

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Smile

It worked!! Everything's back and working smoothly!! Thank you so much for the information!!

Blackapina69
Old 10-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

You're welcome! Glad you're fixed.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Cavi Mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: **))
PIN: ATA

I lost my browser too. I'm currently on the phone with t mobile and they had to resend my service books. He browser is still on your handheld, you just don't have permission to use it until you do what I just said. I also don't like this new software and will be reverting as soon as I get home from work.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Your browser can be pushed back by going to Options >Advanced Options >Host Routing Table >Menu Key: Register Now.

What don't you like about it?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Cavi Mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thumbs down

Let me start off by saying A LOT. I was just sitting here typing for the past 10 minutes and I accidently hit the 'back' button. No biggie, it happens to me all the time. All I do is hit 6 and it will go right back and everything I wrote is right... Where did everything GO?! You have got to be kidding me, it doesn't save what I was typing anymore? And why does it highlight every damn word I type?! Who thought of that? It feels like if I hit the del key that it's going to erase the word! Highlighted words are selected words on everything. Oh yeah, except for this.

Why is my applications list now this jumbled mass of dinky icons? It's hard enough to press the track ball without scrolling up or down but now I have to worry about left and right, too? That is if I even select the correct one considering you can barely tell the difference between a highlighted one and a non.

Another thing, I don't need a Fav-5 icon next to the names of ones on my list. I think I'm capable of remembering 5 names...

That's all I'm going to type right now for fear of hitting the back button again.

Last edited by JSanders; 10-11-2007 at 07:24 PM..
Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Please watch your language, this forum is open to all ages.

Thank you.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Let me start off by saying A LOT. I was just sitting here typing for the past 10 minutes and I accidently hit the 'back' button. No biggie, it happens to me all the time. All I do is hit 6 and it will go right back and everything I wrote is right... Where did everything GO?! You have got to be kidding me, it doesn't save what I was typing anymore? And why does it highlight every damn word I type?! Who thought of that? It feels like if I hit the del key that it's going to erase the word! Highlighted words are selected words on everything. Oh yeah, except for this.

Why is my applications list now this jumbled mass of dinky icons? It's hard enough to press the track ball without scrolling up or down but now I have to worry about left and right, too? That is if I even select the correct one considering you can barely tell the difference between a highlighted one and a non.

Another thing, I don't need a Fav-5 icon next to the names of ones on my list. I think I'm capable of remembering 5 names...

That's all I'm going to type right now for fear of hitting the back button again.
A little negative here aren't we? I have some answers to some of your gripes if you just want to ask without all the negativity, attitude and language.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
Cavi Mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just noticed that I posted twice before. Another thing that is messed up with this software. I use quick reply but for some reason the first time I posted it, it didn't show up. I even refreshed, then erased my cache and cookies then refreshed and it still didn't show up. Definitely reverting as soon as I get home.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
I just noticed that I posted twice before. Another thing that is messed up with this software. I use quick reply but for some reason the first time I posted it, it didn't show up. I even refreshed, then erased my cache and cookies then refreshed and it still didn't show up. Definitely reverting as soon as I get home.
What are you talking about???? We deleted your duplicate posts.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #12
Cavi Mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
A little negative here aren't we? I have some answers to some of your gripes if you just want to ask without all the negativity, attitude and language.
I was originally posting a very detailed, calm post until it erased everything I just typed. I had at least 4 paragraphs typed out and it's not exactly easy using this mini keyboard so when everything got erased I hope you can see why I flew off the handle. I'm sorry for the attitude, it was towards the phone and T-Mobiles relentless txt messages claiming that I needed a software upgrade when clearly I did not.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #13
John Clark
BBF Moderator

That's a function of the forum software, not necessarily your BB software. I've had that happen too.

If you'll calm down, we can sort out some of your issues. Most of them are issues that can be remedied if you would just settle down and just ask.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Are you using the BB to access Blackberryforums.com?

We have wap access, you know. It's a lot easier than trying to access the full forum with the BB's browser.

wap.blackberryforums.com
Old 10-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Yea I get double posts on the WAP site, i just learned to NOT refresh in a thread I just posted in.

There are hundreds of users willing to help you if you need. If you give yourself some time and room for your mistakes, you might really like it. On the other hand, you may need a different device.

Last edited by JSanders; 10-11-2007 at 11:21 PM..
Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #16
Cavi Mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have no qualms with the device, it has served me well up until today when I finally gave in to the update notice. Every time I turn around there is something else bothering me with this software. I won't bore you with paragraphs anymore, I'll just supply a list:

Fav-5 icons are gone
Words highlight when typing them
Depressing track-ball no longer functions as Enter key
Application list is now a mass of tiny, non-descript icons
Character count in txt messages now uses an entire extra line
Fav-5 icon next to all messages from people in my Fav-5 list
Words highlight when typing them(it's worth mentioning twice, it's terribly annoying)
Text entered in boxes no longer saved if back key hit
'W's run into following letter

I know there was a couple other things but this is more than enough to give me motivation to revert, not to mention I've come across all of this in just a few hours. Who knows what else I might find if I keep it any longer.

I see you mentioned that you've lost information when hitting the back key, I've never experienced that. Ever. Many times I purposely hit the back key because I know my text will still be there when I go back to where I was. I don't use this device as a phone and a browser secondary, I use this as a browser and very rarely have even used it as a phone. I use it all night at work while I'm out on the floor much like office-spacers use their desk-top to browse the web. I'm very familiar with what it does and what it can't do. Right now, it's a totally new phone with features that are very annoying. I'm sure if it had come this way I would be accustomed to it's functions by now but like I said, I'm very familiar with what it does and I prefer it to stay that way until I have a problem with it. Until today, the only issue I had was that I'm unable to view attached images posted in forums. That's it. Even the mysterious memory leak has seemed to cure itself since I've bought it.

I sit on this phone for hours going through forums like here, howardsforums, bimmerforums, rspeed, etc. I flip through ebay frequently and if something tickles my fancy, I'll buy it from my phone. I'm always on google finding answers to random questions people have and I find the animated Accuweather to be very helpful when I'm cruising around with my top down and MapQuest works great when I'm not quite sure I know if I'm going the right way(which I'm usually not).

The only thing I slightly regret about buying the 8100 is that I wish I jumped for the 8800 for the full keyboard. Although the Sure-Type has learned me pretty well(until today) I still wish I didn't have to make sure I put 'see' instead of 'are' 'put' instead of 'out' etc. Typing is the main thing I do with this phone so sometimes it can be a pain.

About the swearing, I'm sorry. I purposely put the asterisks in thinking that would suffice but I will refrain from even doing that.

P.S. Thanks for cleaning up my double posts although I did happen to see one of them before you cleaned it up, that's why I mentioned it. Oh yeah, that was another thing I forgot to put on the list...

P.P.S. My old software was 4.2.0.64
Old 10-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #17
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Hitting the back key while mobile on BBF has ALWAYS resulted in a double post. I've double posted while mobile many times with all my BB's--the 7100t, the 8100 (with all the OS versions that ever came out) and even my 8320.

I'm about ready to move all your posts to Rants N Raves Forum. You don't want any info on how to deal with any of the issues you have posted. You simply want to rant about how bad it is. I've certainly had my issues with the 4.2.1 OS, as have others, but nobody so negative as you. If you bought this phone because you need a web browser, you bought the wrong phone.

You need an iPhone.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #18
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Or downgrade to a cleaner OS.

This is a total rant.

Thanks for understanding on the language.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #19
Cavi Mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Question

I was asked what I didn't like, I wasn't aware that it was a rhetorical question. I'll also pay attention to that next time.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #20
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
I have no qualms with the device, it has served me well up until today when I finally gave in to the update notice. Every time I turn around there is something else bothering me with this software. I won't bore you with paragraphs anymore, I'll just supply a list:

Fav-5 icons are gone
I don't use myFaves but I know they will come back. I'm just not sure since I don't use them.

Quote:
Words highlight when typing them
This is a new feature. You'll get used to it. I did

Quote:
Depressing track-ball no longer functions as Enter key
Not sure what you are talking about. Are you referring to in the browser?

Quote:
Application list is now a mass of tiny, non-descript icons
Check this Sticky in the 8100 Forum: 8100 List Theme

Quote:
Character count in txt messages now uses an entire extra line
Big Deal

Quote:
Fav-5 icon next to all messages from people in my Fav-5 list
What's wrong with that?

Quote:
Text entered in boxes no longer saved if back key hit
Have you verified this with all the other forums you visit? I don't recall needing this feature so not sure if I ever had it.
Quote:
'W's run into following letter
Can you elaborate? It could just be a font size issue. Change fonts or font size.

Quote:
I know there was a couple other things but this is more than enough to give me motivation to revert, not to mention I've come across all of this in just a few hours. Who knows what else I might find if I keep it any longer.
You might actually like things about it as you spend a little time with it. There are a couple of other bugs. I can tell you about them if you like.

Quote:
I don't use this device as a phone and a browser secondary, I use this as a browser and very rarely have even used it as a phone. I use it all night at work while I'm out on the floor much like office-spacers use their desk-top to browse the web.
The BB is a push email device and a phone with a web browser. There are better phones out there for web browsing if that is your primary concern. A little research beforehand (here on this forum for starters) would have gone a long way in preventing your frustration.

Quote:
The only thing I slightly regret about buying the 8100 is that I wish I jumped for the 8800 for the full keyboard. Although the Sure-Type has learned me pretty well(until today) I still wish I didn't have to make sure I put 'see' instead of 'are' 'put' instead of 'out' etc. Typing is the main thing I do with this phone so sometimes it can be a pain.
Many people don't like SureType and I can understand. However, I just went from the 8100 to the 8320 and I'm actually having SureType withdrawls. I could type faster and easier with fewer mistakes than I am on this full keyboard model. I end up hitting two keys more often than SureType picked the wrong word. To each his/her own and I understand that.

Quote:
About the swearing, I'm sorry. I purposely put the asterisks in thinking that would suffice but I will refrain from even doing that.
Thanks!

Quote:
P.P.S. My old software was 4.2.0.64
It's easy enough to downgrade if these issues are just too much to bear. Post back if you want help.

Last edited by John Clark; 10-11-2007 at 11:39 PM..
Closed Thread