Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
kristina89

Model: storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default vz navigator $10 a month???

Please Login to Remove!

i switched from a iphone to a blackberry.. the iphone included maps with their monthy fee along with visual voicemail, email, messaging, web, for only 30.00 a month .. but with verizon everything on the phone is actually 42.99 .. is their a way to just make the maps work without a crazy expensive phone bill thought verizon is in competition with the iphone
Old 12-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Byproxy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

what maps? i think google maps work with the internal gps. i don't use it though so can't say for sure.

vznav is 10 a month but i wouldn't call it a map proggie so much as a navigation proggie. if you're interested in this, Nav4All is a free option (without maps), or you could lay down a one time fee of 80 bucks for the garmin software which works amazingly well on the storm. otherwise the 10bucks a month for vznav or telenav is the only other option.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
franknbeans
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Vrz

Garmin also has a software download for the storm. . garmin moblie. . it's a one time $100 fee.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Verizon = very limited choices for GPS functionality. You can get your device working with BlackBerry maps... that's about the equivalent to the iPhone's included map application. Verizon has not released the GPS radio to function with all the other GPS applications out there.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
BigA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie
Verizon = very limited choices for GPS functionality. You can get your device working with BlackBerry maps... that's about the equivalent to the iPhone's included map application. Verizon has not released the GPS radio to function with all the other GPS applications out there.
You might want to check your facts. I think hell has frozen over at verizon. I have telenav working on my storm.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
Wirelessly posted

You might want to check your facts. I think hell has frozen over at verizon. I have telenav working on my storm.
I believe my facts are in order, as I said they have not released it to work with all the other GPS apps out there. People still report issues with Google Maps.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Derekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
I believe my facts are in order, as I said they have not released it to work with all the other GPS apps out there. People still report issues with Google Maps.
the GPS is available and works - for free. Google needs to update their Google Maps software, not Verizon (or RIM). BBMaps works with real GPS (for free). Google Maps currently only uses aGPS (triangulating off Cell Towers).
Old 12-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekj View Post
the GPS is available and works - for free. Google needs to update their Google Maps software, not Verizon (or RIM). BBMaps works with real GPS (for free). Google Maps currently only uses aGPS (triangulating off Cell Towers).
Hence the "issues with Google Maps."

People we're splitting hairs here. When you can report Verizon's devices equipped with GPS work with everything then I'll admit I have no idea what I'm talking about. My initial answer to the OP was accurate was it not?
Old 12-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Lightbulb

Well, it works with the Garmin app and it works with Nav4All (free), so I think your argument is starting to sink fast. There are reports of several other GPs apps being compatible. Never a good idea to take that firm a stand when you are standing on quicksand. 73
Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
grey123

Model: storm

The Garmin app is awesome. Over on Crackberry.com, you can find a link to a web page that has a coupon to buy it for $79. Although you own the app for as long as you have the phone, if you just figure it out for 1 yr it's 6.58 per month instead of 9 and its much nicer to use (in my opinion). Over a 2 year period it would work out to 3.29 per month.

Grey
Old 01-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
Derekj

Quote:
Hence the "issues with Google Maps."

People we're splitting hairs here. When you can report Verizon's devices equipped with GPS work with everything then I'll admit I have no idea what I'm talking about. My initial answer to the OP was accurate was it not?

As long as we're splitting hairs, no - not exactly. You are implying that Verizon has to do something in order to make 3rd party GPS apps (i.e. GoogleMaps) work and that is not correct. The 3rd party aps have to be re-written to work properly with the storm the way I understand it. Google has to update GoogleMaps in order for it to work - Verizon doesn't have to do anything. I'd suggest subscribing to the GoogleMobile blog to get an announcement when the software update is ready.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekj View Post
As long as we're splitting hairs, no - not exactly. You are implying that Verizon has to do something in order to make 3rd party GPS apps (i.e. GoogleMaps) work and that is not correct. The 3rd party aps have to be re-written to work properly with the storm the way I understand it. Google has to update GoogleMaps in order for it to work - Verizon doesn't have to do anything. I'd suggest subscribing to the GoogleMobile blog to get an announcement when the software update is ready.
Well if you read some historical threads on here, it was true... Verizon apparently has wised up and released their GPS radio to work with other applications. It came slowly at first but I guess they've opened the flood gates. The Storm issues are different in that application updates may be needed, but prior to that, it was only Verizon's fault in locking down the GPS.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
Derekj

Quote:
Well if you read some historical threads on here, it was true... Verizon apparently has wised up and released their GPS radio to work with other applications. It came slowly at first but I guess they've opened the flood gates. The Storm issues are different in that application updates may be needed, but prior to that, it was only Verizon's fault in locking down the GPS.
now that doesn't surprise me at all - Verizon doesn't seem like a company that is inclined to give anything away if they don't absolutely have to!!

DJ
Old 01-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
Well, it works with the Garmin app and it works with Nav4All (free), so I think your argument is starting to sink fast. There are reports of several other GPs apps being compatible. Never a good idea to take that firm a stand when you are standing on quicksand. 73
Fair enough... apparently I hadn't kept up with the advances in Verizon's hide-n-seek game with their GPS. Two months ago was very different than two weeks ago with Verizon.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
bkeen
Knows Where the Search Button Is

i just use the BB maps, turn on the GPS tracking and that is 100% free and gets you within 15 feet of your location.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #16
TheBerryGimp

Model: n/a
Carrier: -

Or you could just not be cheap? Is $10 really that big of an issue?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #17
SamMyers
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9350
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

For what it's worth!!

I've used VZ Navigator, Telenav, Garmin, TomTom (8830 only), and nav4all, both on the Storm and on my 8830. They all work, for the most part, the same.

$10 a month for service is fairly cheep as well. When you consider what you're looking for (ie. true turn-by-turn navigation), all built in to your phone, it's very cheep (relatively speaking). Look at what you could spend on a handheld or dash-mount GPS. Plus, you've got your phone, too.

You will hear at time somebody stating they want it for free, but complain with the other hand of limited functionality. All of these must be considered.

When I was using my 8830, I ultimately went with Telenav. I was happy for a while, but then wished I had a larger display. Then came the Storm, which I am again using Telenav with, after trying the others. Now I'm happy again. And, that time frame with the 8830 was approx. 14 mo. x $10 = $140. I only spent $140, then got an "upgraded device". I'm sorry, but you cannot buy a really good GPS (dash-mount or handheld) for that kind of money.

As for the software, as you can see, I chose Telenav. IMO, it is by far the best available at this time. The only thing that I'm looking for in addition would be the ability to store all maps on the memory card. This way, I don't have to be in an area where I have data. This was an issue in 2007 in the New England states. Some back-roads areas have no cell service.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #18
SIXTYNINEWEST

Default STORM vs. IPHONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina89 View Post
i switched from a iphone to a blackberry.. the iphone included maps with their monthy fee along with visual voicemail, email, messaging, web, for only 30.00 a month .. but with verizon everything on the phone is actually 42.99 .. is their a way to just make the maps work without a crazy expensive phone bill thought verizon is in competition with the iphone
I have an IPHONE since they came out and now have the new 3G phone. I hate ATT but I left verizon to get the IPHONE. I also have a Blackberry for work and recently upgraded to the Storm because I was miserable with every BB I have had including the Curve and the RIM world edition.

Pros and Cons of the IPHONE vs. The BB Storm (or any BB).

BB and verison CHARGE FOR EVERYTHING, and they charge a TON. Iphone charges for thirdparty software but only a few bucks here and there. I cannot believe what it costs to get anything for the BB including VZ Nav. Iphone used Yahoo maps and now has GPS and it is FREE and awesome.

Here is one of my biggest issues with the BB Storm and ALL BB's.... The screens SUCK they are cheap plastic and the Iphone is glass. The IPhone can be in your pocket with sand paper and it won't scratch unless you have Diamonds in your pocket. If you get a Blackberry get screen protectors and then buy stock in them.

The Iphone is WAAAAY faster and smoother... the Storm is SLow and choppy.

Don't get me wrong the storm is a step in the right direction, and the body of the phone is WAY better than past models but it needs to free up some applications, themes, and get a glass screen.

Also IPHONE set the bar and BB needs to get it together and get freaking WIFI it is awesome to have lightning fast internet like a littlle laptop.

I wish I could leave the IPHONE and the Storm in a closet so they could make the PERFECT phone because they both have great options but niether are perfect and the fact that BB or Verizon takes all of us to the bank for applications is crazy. The IPHONE is still a better all around package in my opinion.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #19
SIXTYNINEWEST

Also the Iphone Battery is way better... I can't believe the Storm can't make it a half a day.

ONE LAST COMPLAINT.... I wish the screen locked when you were on a call. The Ihone does and it is awesome. The Iphone has a better accelerometer and you can turn is any direction to use the phone.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #20
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXTYNINEWEST View Post
ONE LAST COMPLAINT.... I wish the screen locked when you were on a call. The Ihone does and it is awesome.
I was going to respond to both posts above, but responses to all those points can already be found in the forum and it seems you're set on the iPhone anyway and the Storm isn't for everyone (as can be said of all phones), so I'll just share this instead:

TalkLockxxx8482; (BETA) Touch Screen Lock for BlackBerry® Stormxxx8482;
Closed Thread