Old 09-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
fortnotes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Angry Can't sync with Outlook after 4.5.0.81 upgrade

Please Login to Remove!

I was using DM 4.5, and when I connect via USB, I could sync the calendar from Outlook to my BB. I was running 4.5.0.51 on my BB.

Now, I've updated to 4.5.0.81, and the calendar sync fails. I tried updating to DM 4.6 and the same thing happens. When I connect and the sync starts, it should first read appointments from the BB, then from the Outlook calendar, and then compare them. Now, after the OS update, when I connect the BB, it gets to the point where it would read the appointments from the BB, and it quits at that point with no error messages or anything. Laptop has been rebooted, and BB has been rebooted. Has anybody seen this? Any thoughts on how to fix it?
Old 09-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
jjmach
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Hello, you can try this
Close your desktop manager
Go to c:\documents & settings\Application data\Research in Motion\Blackberry
there delete the Intellisync folder
Open your desktop manager and sync
Old 09-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
fortnotes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmach View Post
Hello, you can try this
Close your desktop manager
Go to c:\documents & settings\Application data\Research in Motion\Blackberry
there delete the Intellisync folder
Open your desktop manager and sync
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem.
DM is amazingly silent about the problem -- no error messages.
Is there any place where some detailed log files might be found which
would lead me to the issue?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Have you yanked the battery, let it sit for a few minutes, then put it back in? Sometimes oddball problems crop up after an upgrade if you don't physically yank the battery one time with the new OS.

If you're feeling particularly nerdy, you can try using the SniffUSB app to watch the USB conversation taking place to see if there are any clues which may help:

http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/default.htm
Old 09-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
fortnotes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Have you yanked the battery, let it sit for a few minutes, then put it back in? Sometimes oddball problems crop up after an upgrade if you don't physically yank the battery one time with the new OS.

If you're feeling particularly nerdy, you can try using the SniffUSB app to watch the USB conversation taking place to see if there are any clues which may help:

SniffUsb 2.0 - A USB Sniffer for Windows
Yup, I yanked the battery and it did not fix it (that is what I meant by reboot in my first post).

I'm generally nerdy, but I don't have time to try to analyze the USB conversation.

I did try using DM to backup and totally clear out my calendar, and still does not work. At least I can backup and restore the calendar. It just seems that Intellisync can't access it. Tried from my laptop with DM 4.6 and my desktop with DM 4.2.2.

All I can think of is that the .cod for the calendar is somehow corrupted. Is there any way to force the .cod files to be re-downloaded? Or do I just need to wipe BB clean and reload the OS?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
jjmach
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Or you may have a corrupted entry at your computer calendar. check if you have any kind of conflicts on your calendar or calendar entries with huge attachments
Regards
Old 10-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Yeah, I wouldn't *think* it would be an actual corrupt COD, as they have sort of an integrity whereby if the package was damaged then it just wouldn't run per-se. I am inclined to think it's data as jjmach mentions.

One possibility: change the Sync tool to do an ASCII Export to a text file of your device calendar, run it. Erase the on-device calendar (Agenda view, Delete Prior), then flip the Sync to ASCII Import and suck it all back in. (NOTE: past entries are lost, it only exports current and future events. sucky, I know.)

That's my generic idea, but tailor to suit for your personal configuration. You could maybe export your Outlook calendar instead, wipe both Outlook and the device, re-import it back to Outlook then sync the device back up. Or maybe all of the above! Really depends on your specific setup...
Old 10-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
fortnotes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talking Fixed it!

I just stumbled upon the fix for this problem, and I figured I'd better post it in case somebody else runs into it.

The fix:
I un-deleted my service book for my BIS calendar, opened the calendar, closed the calendar, and then re-deleted that service book.

Background:

So why do I have this service book deleted, you ask? When I first updated to a 4.5 OS, I found that my calendar had *two* calendars. One was the device default calendar, and the other was a calendar associated with my BIS account. Well, I have no calendar with my BIS account, so I don't know why this service book was there. When I had both calendars, nothing would show up under "Calendar" in my Today Plus theme. Inside my calendar, some appointments were blue and some were green. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to why one was part of one calendar and one the other. When I deleted that service book, things worked the way they did in my 4.2 OS.

If you are having problems with your calendar along these lines, you might try deleting the service book for your BIS calendar (which, in my opinion, should not exist anyway). Just look in the service books for one with your BIS e-mail address and [CICAL] after it. You might need to re-send your service books and then delete it. Just remember that if you ever re-send your service books, you will have to delete it again, and if you update your OS, you might need to un-delete and re-delete it again.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
fkjr2

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

I dont see how to fix this - I want a certain BIS email account to be default but it keeps using another email account to display the existing calendar events with.

How do I get rid of that email account and use the one I want and have the items display properly on the today home screen?
Old 10-05-2008, 12:14 AM   #10
fortnotes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
I dont see how to fix this - I want a certain BIS email account to be default but it keeps using another email account to display the existing calendar events with.

How do I get rid of that email account and use the one I want and have the items display properly on the today home screen?
Try opening your list of service books (Options->Advanced Options->Service Book) and see if you have an entry for the e-mail address you do NOT want in your calendar with a [CICAL] after it. Try deleting this one. If it does not fix your problem, or if it causes other problems, you can go back into your service book list and undelete it. It appears you can only undelete the last one you deleted.
Closed Thread