Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #81
wrknhard
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: telus

Please Login to Remove!

Knezek, let me know if there is anything I can help with. I love this app and want to see it continue to evolve.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #82
denal46

Model: 7250
Carrier: verizon

I have a BB 7250. If I upgrade to OS 4.1 and add an external GPS receiver will bbgolf 4.1 run on the 7250? Also I've seen discussions on using Google Earth to download course information. Is this done on the BB or can it be done on a pc and uploaded to the BB?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #83
wrknhard

Denal46, I can't comment on BB 7250 and GPS...but I would assume if you pair it would work the same as an internal GPS. Let this group know how it turns out.

In terms of google earth the process is as follows:
1) install google earth on your PC
2) find your course, and map the greens and other interesting points using placemarks (you should create a folder under my places first before doing the placemarks - having all the course placemarks under one folder will help you later)
3) Save the placemarks to a google earth KML file.

At this point the only way to get these lat/long coordinates into BBGolf is manually. Essentially open the KML file in Excel/Notepad and you can see a 13 or 14 digit number for both lat and long for every point you created. Enter these coordinates (you only need 5 decimal places - bbgolf crops the other numbers anyway) as landmarks in BBGolf on the blackberry. It takes a while, but is well worth it once complete.

THe nice thing about this over other Blackberry golf GPS software is you can pick your own coordinates (bunkers you always hit for example). Golftraxx has this ability using "extras", but sometimes you have to rely on somebody elses extra's.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #84
krypton_john

Carrier: telecom nz

This is fantastic software - thanks!

Is it possible to write add-ins or applets to Google Earth? If so it could make generating course files too easy. Imagine being able to just click on points and enter hole number etc, then save file to the BB!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #85
wrknhard

Krypton_John,

I think that's the point of the kml import that is currently being written and developed.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #86
krypton_john

Now that I look a bit closer at using folders for place marks I agree - might not be necessary for the add-in!

Perhaps the standard would be to have a folder called BBGolf and then folders underneath for the courses containing the holes, with a standard Holenn naming convention? Or has this already been worked out already?

Can't wait fo rthe kml import feature?

On a related note: how accurate are the coordinates on GE and is this consistent?

Last edited by krypton_john; 06-23-2008 at 05:53 PM..
Old 06-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #87
krypton_john

Hi All,

On my 8830 the GPS seems to get very poor reception, and I generally pair it to a bluetooth GPS when using it for driving directions (using nav4all).

However in bbGolf it always seems to look for the internal GPS, even when I have selected the external BT GPS under Options/Advanced/GPS

Can't bbGolf be configured to use the external GPS? I fear that lacking this option will render it unusable for golf as the internal gps is just not good enough.

I'm here with fingers crossed!

Cheers,
JohnO
Old 06-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #88
TGIM

Carrier: None

Do you have a .alx file for 4.2 version ? I would like to install this application and give it a try. I dont' have OTA and can't install jad.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #89
ma077146
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 3019F3E6
Carrier: Sprint

This reminds of of an idea for another good application. A gps based application to mark the position of your car in large parking lots. I have a good memory, it's just short! Marking the car location would be a most welcome thing.

Like Coupons and Free Shipping?
http://thediscountdude.com
Old 06-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #90
krypton_john

Nav4All has this functionality.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #91
denal46

I need help. Being one who likes to save money I was looking for an inexpensive golf gps system. I purchased a used 7520 on Ebay which I do not intend to to use on the phone system. It does not have a Sim card. I cannot get it to aquire a GPS signal when using GPS refresh. It has a 4.0.2 something OS. Do I need OS 4.1 to use the GPS? I have tried to switch the GPS to unrestricted, but it won't save this setting and says it has no SIM card. Do I need a Sim card for the GPS to work?

Does anyone know if I can just use the GPS with out getting phone service? If so how do I do it? Maybe someone could remove there sim card and see if the GPS still works. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Last edited by denal46; 06-29-2008 at 07:28 AM..
Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #92
krypton_john

Dunno about the 7520 gps, but on my 8830 the gps reception various between non-existent and poor. And this is with a clear sky view.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:54 AM   #93
gbplay10s

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrknhard View Post

THe nice thing about this over other Blackberry golf GPS software is you can pick your own coordinates (bunkers you always hit for example). Golftraxx has this ability using "extras", but sometimes you have to rely on somebody elses extra's.
That is an interesting point made about picking your own VS using other's data.

The GolfTraxx model is that everyone relies upon each other’s maps so that everyone maps the best courses for everyone and themselves. Rather than just mapping the bunker you hit as a slicer, a GolfTraxx user will map all the hazards and targets in the line of play. GolfTraxx brings local course knowledge to every user, not just the single person who mapped a course. For example, a blind bunker (one behind a hill close to the green) that is not seen from the fairway, may be known by locals, but not by the casual or new player. A GolfTraxx user will map this for everyone to use. That IS the point of GolfTraxx - map for yourself AND the community.

Where this gets very enjoyable is the Golfer who travels. They can check to see if anyone has mapped the course, and if so load the data and be ready to play without having to map a course that they may never play again.

Based on the process of manually entering described earlier, I have to say that mapping using the PC, sending courses in via email as KMLs, and being able to download courses via BIS or BES seems to be a bit easier than BBGolf. GolfTraxx users can get course data on their device no matter where they are in the world, GolfTraxx is in a different class of application. I do not mean to say better, but definitely different in its execution to the same goal.

Sorry that you feel this is spam... but we provide this for free.

Last edited by gbplay10s; 07-01-2008 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: response to note below
Old 07-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #94
krypton_john

Ok, I'm definitely NOT getting GolfTraxx that's for sure.

I hate spammers.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #95
wrknhard

The Golftraxx model is genius. I only wish the best for that software - and I wish it would work on Telus and Bell in Canada!!

The do-it-yourself model of bbGolf is neat too though...allowing you to pick your own points of interest like the distance to that pesky tree that only you seem to get behind.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #96
SoonerTheBetter

Model: 8330
Carrier: uscellular

GPS, Golf. What is up?

Hey, I just got my 8330 the day before yesterday and my head is spinning trying to work and figure this phone out.

I was going to try to go to bed on time tonight, until I realized this phone has GPS capabilities.

So whats the first thing you think of when someone mentions GPS? Of course it's golf. So I googled Blackberry and golf and here I am.

Ok enough intros. I have a Garmin etrex Legend and MapSource on my laptop. I have also mapped out a few courses in my area(a work in progress).

I have plotted waypoints with the Garmin then downloaded them to Mapsource to cleanup and name.

Is there a way to move the info I have collected to my phone? What software, etc.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:38 AM   #97
gbplay10s

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrknhard View Post
The Golftraxx model is genius. I only wish the best for that software - and I wish it would work on Telus and Bell in Canada!!
Were trying to get the connection strings right for those two carriers... It is driving us a bit bonkers
Old 07-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #98
denal46

Can anyone answer my questions? I purchased a 7520 hoping to use it as a Golf GPS only. I cannot get the GPS to track any satelites. I do not have any type of service on this BB. Do you know if the GPS only works if you have Nextel Service? I also do not have a Sim card. Does it need a sim card for the GPS to work. The OS is 4.0.2.37.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by denal46; 07-07-2008 at 05:39 PM..
Old 07-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #99
KWerdal

Carrier: Centennial
Default Anything New?

I have been using BBGolf for a couple weeks and it has worked pretty well, is there any new news or updates?

thanks again!!

Kevin
Old 07-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #100
genekend

Carrier: at&t

Mscorecard has limited GPS distances. You can put in the front, back and middle of the greens distances. It is also an excelent scoredcard porgam. You can keep score and see distances on the same screens.
Closed Thread