Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
XamiDami

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Digicel
Default Jpg.rem

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so I know jpg.rem is a encrypted version of a picture file. I recently added a 2 GB Sandisk memory card to my Torch (9800) and I did a customary back up as I was deleting the old files on the memory card.

After the back up was complete, I realized that some of my pictures were saved in a jpg.rem version. I later discovered that I can't rename the file extension. If I try to drop the .rem, I get a "Error decrypting header."

I have done extensive online searches and I have tried the following: emailing the file to myself, it comes back as jpg.rem. I have tried turning encryption on/off to rename the file, failed.

Are there any suggestions?
Old 11-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Jpg.rem

You probably may need to provide more info on what you want to do, but here is some information...

The .rem extension is indeed owed to the fact that the file is encrypted. The BlackBerry was/is set to encrypt files on the media card AND to include media files.

You cannot remove the encryption by changing the extension, as you have discovered. You can only remove the encryption with the BlackBerry...at least so far as I know, there is no other way.

To obtain a file that is not encrypted, turn off encryption in the device options. Afterward, move the encrypted file to another location. The file should now not be encrypted. Move it back if you want. Repeat for any other files as needed.

If you leave encryption off, any files written will not be encrypted. Any files that were encrypted will remain encrypted unless you removed the encryption as described.

Note: There three ways to set media card encryption. Device key, device password, or device key + device password. If the key was used and the files were written on another device, you will not be able to open the files or remove the encryption using the technique described. If the password was used, you must know the password.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
XamiDami

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Digicel

What I want to do is to access the pictures. When the files are in jpg.rem format, they cannot be viewed.

Let me give you an in depth explanation of what happened. I acquired this 2GB Sand disk card from my brother. He no longer needed it as he has 4GB card. In order to get the card, he asked that I back up his data from the 2GB card and add the data back to the 4GB card. That was all done smoothly. All the data was on the card so I used my phone to do everything.

With his data on the new card, I backed up all my files and began to delete them. All my files were stored on my device. Once I began reloading the data onto the card, I realized that some, NOT ALL, of my pictures now had the jpg.rem extension.

I turned of encryption and tried saving the files to a different folder on the card, I received "Error decrypting header." I also got the same error when I tried saving the files to the device. I also tried uploading the photos to facebook. The error was that facebook cannot accept the file.

Last edited by XamiDami; 11-24-2011 at 11:43 PM..
Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

The answer, at least most of the answer, is in my first respnse: You can only access (that is, view) the .rem files on the BlackBerry, and you can only remove the encryption using the BlackBerry, subject to the procedure and limitations I described.

I'm not sure about the error you describe in your last paragraph, whether it indicates a corrupt file, or if it is a consequnce of device key or password not matching what was used to encrypt the file in the first place, or perhaps something else.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 04-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBoss View Post
Some help me on this different problem..........
i took pictures wiv my bb and then i connected my bb with the computer and then all the pictures are in the format JPG.REM and then changed it to .JPEG on my computer and then i clicked on the pic and then it nothing shows it comes as blank?? ...........
What shall i do now??
Can someone help me ASAP!!!!
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...p3-32-bit.html