BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
blackberrized

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telenor
Cool Masked SMS - the app to have some fun :)))

Please Login to Remove!

Masked SMS - the application which allows to send completely anonymous SMS to any mobile phone all over the World. The application works on BlackBerry 10 platform.
The major feature of the app is that recipient will receive SMS from the specified name called "Mask", but not from some unrecognised telephone number. These masks you can select from the list and they vary from standard "Masked SMS" to something more interesting, like "Mom", "Dad" or "President" and many others. You can have fun by sending such masked SMS to your friends, neighbours, colleagues and family members.
Masked SMS is also good when you're abroad and using roaming, sms are cheaper than use sms plan from operators.

Download Masked SMS from BlackBerry World, it is FREE !

appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/31924896

Application web-site:
maskedsms.com

P.S. When you download the app you will get one sms for free. If you want more FREE SMS write an email to: "support at maskedsms.com" with the subject: "I want more FREE SMS"!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long
Default Re: Masked SMS - the app to have some fun :)))

Sounds like a good spam tool. This app is ripe for abuse. Not cool IMO.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
blackberrized

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Sounds like a good spam tool. This app is ripe for abuse. Not cool IMO.
It is ripe for abuse at the same level as any mail service, for example. Anyone can register as many emails as he wants and send spam and abuse mails. The same can be done by changing sim-cards and sending sms.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

I would hope that eventually apps such as this get outlawed.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
I would hope that eventually apps such as this get outlawed.
Agreed. SMS spam is illegal in the US. All the US carriers are tracking SMS spam in a database, and they the get blocked and reported to the Feds. They have the capability to block anonymous sms too.

On a somewhat related note, there was a BlackBerry app that allowed users to send spam BBM requests to random Pins that got removed from BB World recently.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

"Have some fun with it" is a thinly veiled misdirection. It's definitely a spammer or stalker tool. Neither one is cool.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
blackberrized

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Agreed. SMS spam is illegal in the US. All the US carriers are tracking SMS spam in a database, and they the get blocked and reported to the Feds. They have the capability to block anonymous sms too.

On a somewhat related note, there was a BlackBerry app that allowed users to send spam BBM requests to random Pins that got removed from BB World recently.
Hm, using this App for SPAM is extremely expensive. According to the vendor's price SMS cost $0.25 now tell me who is gonna send SPAM to hungered thousands phones using quite expensive SMS service? Spammers can use much cheaper and convenient SMS services for their purposes. Ah... and it's possible to send one SMS at a time, you even need to re-enter text everytime after sending. This App is just for fun and messing with friends
Old 08-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrized View Post
....This App is just for fun and messing with friends
That sounds mature ....
Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Hm, using this App for SPAM is extremely expensive. According to the vendor's price SMS cost $0.25 now tell me who is gonna send SPAM to hungered thousands phones using quite expensive SMS service? Spammers can use much cheaper and convenient SMS services for their purposes. Ah... and it's possible to send one SMS at a time, you even need to re-enter text everytime after sending. This App is just for fun and messing with friends
Are you saying the APP charges you $.25 per SMS??? Or are you saying the carrier will charge that much? Because lots of folks have unlimited messaging as part of their monthly plan. I know I sure do with Verizon.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

The App Charges. You usually get a few included when you download the app. Thee apps are all the same unfortunately.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
blackberrized

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Are you saying the APP charges you $.25 per SMS??? Or are you saying the carrier will charge that much? Because lots of folks have unlimited messaging as part of their monthly plan. I know I sure do with Verizon.
Not the carrier. The app doesn't use carriers sms plan. Yes, 4 SMS package costs $.99 according to the web-site : maskedsms.com
Not cheap for regular SMS service, but it is cheap enough to make a couple of jokes
And it is also acceptable when you are abroad. Outgoing SMS in roaming can be even more expensive.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
blackberrized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
The App Charges. You usually get a few included when you download the app. Thee apps are all the same unfortunately.
But how can it be completely for free? Developers work must be paid. Or you think they are doing the job for free ? SMS if they are not a part of your SMS carrier's plan are also not free. So you get the app for free, get a couple sms for free to test the app and if you like it - buy more. I think it is quite fairly...
Old 08-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
But how can it be completely for free? Developers work must be paid. Or you think they are doing the job for free ? SMS if they are not a part of your SMS carrier's plan are also not free. So you get the app for free, get a couple sms for free to test the app and if you like it - buy more. I think it is quite fairly...
I see your point, but to play devil's advocate, if I am already paying for a texting plan, why would I want to pay for additional texts?

having said that, I am glad you enjoy the app but it is just not my cup of tea.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #14
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Quote:
I really don't care either way. I was responding to another post's question regarding cost. This isn't 1995, and everyone in NA pretty much has included sms/mms/txt messages with their plans (with the exception of PAYG customers). In fact, there are a few, easier ways to spoof your caller ID without paying for an app to do it. Also, I believe with this app the header is changed in some way between the time you send and the time it is received. While I am not too concerned with the dev's private server stripping header information and changing it, I am wary of allowing even more people to view any information from my device.

I am sure there is a small need for an app like this, but just understand that these types of apps (lumped in with Call Recording apps generally are seen in a negative light) and you should expect some backlash about apps like these.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #15
blackberrized

On CB forum user Alex811 has posted his story about Masked SMS , check this out :

"I wanted to share info how I saved $25 when I was abroad in a business trip using Masked SMS app.
I usually use my carrier's roaming plan when I travel abroad. For me Outgoing SMS in roaming are quite expensive, it is about $0.50 per sms.
So what I've done, I've created my own mask in this app and said to my family members that if they receive sms from the mask they should know it was from me and so they can reply to my regular number (reply to a number within
the same carrier is cheap or even for free).
I bought first 40 SMS package at developer's web-site (it cost me only $9.99). Single SMS would be $9.99/40 = $0.25, so it is less twice than I have with my mobile carrier in roaming.
During my trip I sent 98 SMS home and spent only $24.97 on SMS packages for Masked SMS app. If I used my carriers plan I would spend $49.
So 25 bucks left in my pocket, not that much, but money saved is money earned, right ? Thanks to Masked SMS devs!"

Well done Alex !
Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

No one cares.