Old 09-27-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
benjilu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default HELP with using UMA on 8320!

Please Login to Remove!

From reading the forums here, it was my understanding that without signing up for hotspot @ home, I can use the 8320's wi-fi to access UMA against my pool of minutes. When I connect to my home wireless router or any other open network, i can access via wi-fi but cannot make phone calls via uma. I don't even have the uma logo in upper right corner, does that logo appear automatically if i connect via wifi? right? Anyway, i believe i have a defective product and need to exchange, if anybody has any recommendations to certain settings, please advise.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:28 AM   #2
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F

did you fully restore your device? if so

Wipe your device, (options, security options, general settings, wipe handheld), then do an advance restore using your Desktop manager, (only restore your address book, phone logs, messages, saved emails, profiles etc.) do not restore any of the service book. Once your done, log into your BIS and then resend your service book.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 09-27-2007, 03:33 AM   #3
kasperapd

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

And if all else fails, call T-Mobile and ask.

Please try a Search
Old 09-27-2007, 03:53 AM   #4
benjilu

thanks for the quick response flash! I did everything you said and it seemed to work for a second but then it went back to a faint wifi logo and cell antennae. Don't see uma logo anymore after it flashed for a second. I did notice that under diagnostics for wifi: uma wi-fi available is checked off but connection is crossed out, maybe i will try another wireless network and see. And I will not talk to anymore customer care reps or store reps, what they don't know is plain scary!!!!!!!!! I'm better off posting here and searching TIA
Old 09-27-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
wayneholbrook
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
PIN: 20D214AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjilu View Post
From reading the forums here, it was my understanding that without signing up for hotspot @ home, I can use the 8320's wi-fi to access UMA against my pool of minutes. When I connect to my home wireless router or any other open network, i can access via wi-fi but cannot make phone calls via uma. I don't even have the uma logo in upper right corner, does that logo appear automatically if i connect via wifi? right? Anyway, i believe i have a defective product and need to exchange, if anybody has any recommendations to certain settings, please advise.
Keep in mind that your minutes are free only when using at your home or any other t-mobile hot spot, not just any other open network.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneholbrook View Post
Keep in mind that your minutes are free only when using at your home or any other t-mobile hot spot, not just any other open network.
It's not always explicit on the T-Mo web site, however I believe ANY wifi call so long as you have the @Home plan is free (whether @Home or at a T-Mo hotspot).

See the link:

What is T-Mobile HotSpot @Home?

T-Mobile HotSpot @Home works as a home phone in your house and a mobile phone on the go–so now you can have just one phone with all of your favorite features. Use a T-Mobile HotSpot Phone (that provides mobile and Wi-Fi calling) along with a wireless router (T-Mobile offers specially designed routers for optimal in-home performance) to get great coverage at home. In addition, by adding the T-Mobile Hotspot @Home Add-On to their rate plan, customers will receive unlimited nationwide calls from any Wi-Fi or US T-Mobile HotSpot location.

T-Mobile HotSpot @Home – General Information
Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #7
benjilu

Still not getting uma logo in corner. Under wifi diagnostic, I have wifi preferred and uma wifi available as being checked off in green but connection is crossed out with error code: W005.3 and the status: ISP error:retry. I was able to make a call with uma right after re-boot but call was dropped 30 seconds into it. I'm using an Airlink 101 wireless router, is that the problem? should i get tmo's router instead and try?
Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
niteqwill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

T-Mo has a UMA outage at the moment, maybe that is why.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteqwill View Post
I agree....
Old 09-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteqwill View Post
I've had edge and uma since yesterday

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 09-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #11
slow

Model: curve
Carrier: T-mo

make sure you do a reset on your phone first. even though i have h@h on my plan, when i first got the phone, i was too excited to call CS to add the plan. i was able to get on UMA with out issue. this is at home or any open wifi. i had a sim card error yesterday and after a reboot, my phone is behaving more or less the same as yours. i have wifi connection but, i am still on tmo network for voice. after pulling the battery for 1 minute per the faq, it is working like before again. so, pull your batt, leave it out for a while put it back in.

this is just my experience... btw, i think the outage is in CA only? i am on the east coast... i don't know of any UMA outages right now.

feel free to correct me.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #12
disp350
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Default UMA Related question

Earlier, I received an 8320 from out T-Mobile rep. I swapped the sim card from my Pearl into the 8320 and its working no problem. The first time I successfully connected to my router, it was showing a UMA connection. I tested it by turning off the EDGE signal and was able to send/receive calls and use the Internet. However, now I am just receiving a Wifi and Edge connection. The Wifi is great for the browser, but obviously I cant make calls. Do I need to add something on to my plan to access UMA? I am currently on an Enterprise plan that has unlimited data with about 350 devices on the BES.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #13
Kurt M

Model: 8320

One thing I noticed about UMA and uma. I have an older Linksys WRT55 that doesn't support QoS. I could only get uma on my 8320. I just upgraded to the Linksys router sold by T-Mobile for @Home. I now get UMA. I suspect that the difference is that you get UMA if you are on a router that supports QoS and uma if on a router that doesn't.

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt M View Post
One thing I noticed about UMA and uma. I have an older Linksys WRT55 that doesn't support QoS. I could only get uma on my 8320. I just upgraded to the Linksys router sold by T-Mobile for @Home. I now get UMA. I suspect that the difference is that you get UMA if you are on a router that supports QoS and uma if on a router that doesn't.

Can anyone confirm this?
You can still get UMA without QoS support.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #15
jenfavre

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjilu View Post
Still not getting uma logo in corner. Under wifi diagnostic, I have wifi preferred and uma wifi available as being checked off in green but connection is crossed out with error code: W005.3 and the status: ISP error:retry. I was able to make a call with uma right after re-boot but call was dropped 30 seconds into it. I'm using an Airlink 101 wireless router, is that the problem? should i get tmo's router instead and try?
I spent 2 hours on the phone with tmobile last night for this very issue. Went through 6 techs and was hung up on twice. I was not happy to say the least. The last tech tried to tell me there was an outage, but I was actually able to receive UMA off a neighbor's open wireless network, another friend's network, and tmobile hotspots. It was only when I switched to my own that I could not get UMA back.

At some point during the night, my neighbor's wireless must have been turned off and my curve switched to my own and UMA was back when I got up this morning. If there was an outage, I'm not sure how I was getting UMA off someone else's network at the time, but I'm just glad it's back.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #16
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 06:30 PM..
Old 09-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #17
jstodda79

Model: 8300
PIN: 241E85A8
Carrier: I work for T-Mobile!!

This is a pretty easy answer.. If you were using a previous BB or other PDA device, it did not have UMA support. So when you transferred to the CURVE, the keystore and other things that you used in your backup, will take the UMA feature OFF the curve. There is a known issue about this and several ways around it. Easiest being to backup your phone. Wipe it via the security menu, then do a SELECTIVE backup via the advanced button on the BB software and restore everything exept those items that would affect the policy. I am not at work now, but will list them. ANY tmobile employee can get you a PDF of how to take care of that. I had the pearl and did the same thing. But now my UMA works like a charm with my WIFI at home. I dont pay for the free calls from home but my service is just as good as my wireless internet which has incredible coverage in my home. Both the browser and sms/mms will work through UMA. 'You can use the WIFI browser on any unsecured network, or a secured network if you know the security key. The UMA will also work with almost any WIFI network, you only pay for the feature if you want FREE CALLS when youre connected. Otherwise its main purpose is to increase reception. Ill post the pdf tomorrow with the workthrough. Any questions feel free to pin or PM me.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #18
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys

Ok so I followed all of these instructions to the letter and my UMA still isn't working. I'm not sure what other steps to take now. I did it right the first time, I switched devices instead of backup and restore, when it didn't work, I wiped the curve and didn't restore anything (just synced my contacts) and its still not working. I am at my wits end. I have seen the UMA in my screen for all of 6 minutes, but when I look on my wifi settings it is there big as day.

What else could I possibly be doing wrong?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #19
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas90guru View Post
It's not always explicit on the T-Mo web site, however I believe ANY wifi call so long as you have the @Home plan is free (whether @Home or at a T-Mo hotspot).
I think you are right!
Old 09-30-2007, 04:44 PM   #20
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by disp350 View Post
Earlier, I received an 8320 from out T-Mobile rep. I swapped the sim card from my Pearl into the 8320 and its working no problem. The first time I successfully connected to my router, it was showing a UMA connection. I tested it by turning off the EDGE signal and was able to send/receive calls and use the Internet. However, now I am just receiving a Wifi and Edge connection. The Wifi is great for the browser, but obviously I cant make calls. Do I need to add something on to my plan to access UMA? I am currently on an Enterprise plan that has unlimited data with about 350 devices on the BES.
To be able to make phone calls via wi-fi you must have T-Mo's h@h plan (currently $9.99 a month).