BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
vietsb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Default SSL websites unavailable on 7290 running v3.8 (AT&T WS)

Please Login to Remove!

I had AT&T WS Support d/l the BB Internet Browser for me and HTTP sites started working fine. Trouble is, when browsing to basic HTTPS sites I get the following error:

Unable to connect using the current security settings. Please contact your service provider.

I installed the lastest .168 application software pack from AT&T WS' site http://www.blackberry.com/support/downloads/aws/ which included some SSL update files, but that didn't help.

Contacting AT&T WS support today is where they semi-verified that v4.0 should handle SSL sites much better and I'm fairly certain the tech there had a Beta v4.0 7290 he was testing on to verify the results.

I decided to skip the Hong Kong v4.0 install for now and wait for the official AT&T WS/Cingular version which I'm crossing my fingers will be out in a few weeks max. The tech didn't comment on when it was coming out, but he also hoped it would be out soon. :D
Old 02-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
sharpycl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Lu920
PIN: is where your heart is

I have that same trouble as well when trying to navigate to my https sites, thanx for posting the info on what AT&T wireless said.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
MadMedik

I hope you are right but I have had an on-going issue with this. The most recent information that I received back was that the BB devices are capable of 40 bit encryption, but not 128 , so you will get some https but not all....

MM
Old 02-18-2005, 11:51 PM   #4
vietsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMedik
I hope you are right but I have had an on-going issue with this. The most recent information that I received back was that the BB devices are capable of 40 bit encryption, but not 128 , so you will get some https but not all....
I agree, I hope they're right or this over-sized cell phone just lost some serious usage points...

Since SSH clients have been developed for the BB's and these PDA's are secure enough for some government usage, I'd highly doubt they're missing 128-bit capability. Also, I tried going to http://verisign.netscape.com/advisor/ and if you choose modern browser versions like Netscape 4.06+ or IE 4.x+, when they run the browser check it shows 128-bit is possible. Not a great test, but I tried finding secure sites that would do 40-bit SSL and those caused the same error msg.

Crossing my fingers...
Old 02-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
MadMedik

@vietsb

I checked out the link you posted on my laptop and on my BB. The difference I notice is that it does not ask me to choose on the laptop. It detects, or is advised automatically that I have MSIE 6. When I go on the BB internet browser, it presents the menu for me to choose. This suggests to me that it is relying on your selection and the response it gives is likely based on the stock specs for the browser that you choose, not on any test...

I am going to take a look in the BB settings. I can't find any setting in the BB to turn on or off the browser identification. I would assume then that since there are emulation settings, that the emulation that you choose will be identified extrenally. I am not sure why the screens are different on the laptop and the BB.

Anyone have any thoughts?

MM
Old 02-19-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
vietsb

Quote:
This suggests to me that it is relying on your selection and the response it gives is likely based on the stock specs for the browser that you choose, not on any test...

Anyone have any thoughts?

MM
Got some possibly good news. I wasn't going to try the Hong Kong v4.0 OS, but I got curious overnight and just got done loading it. The only scary part is following the new OS files upload, it took something like 7 minutes for the "Connecting to Handheld" portion to complete during the reboot. It was probably shorter, but when you're staring, waiting to see if you crashed your PDA, time really drags...

I tried some previously unavailable SSL sites and they are working!

This is not w/o issues though. Here's a list of post-upgrade differences (so far):

-Chinese-version files don't have to be loaded during upgrade.
-A webmail site I use is getting the SSL lock, but then there's possibly some frames or other incompatibility that isn't letting me go farther due to a HTTP 404 error. No big deal there.
-SSL doesn't seem to recognize Verisign certs so I've had to manually accept certs.
-Copy Network Time in Options|Date/Time seems to reset the BB clock to something relative to GMT. Instead, Request Time seems to sync to network time perfectly. Not sure if this was the previous behavior.
-Added an Enterprise Activation icon on the ribbon for BES connection, which I wasn't using previously.
-GPRS signal strength seems oddly higher. Was 2-3 bars all day yesterday, now 4-5. Not convinced the OS upgrade helped that, but no complaints here.
-Berry411 didn't get reloaded and lost saved address data possibly because I originally installed it over the air. Reloaded and it works great.
-BBToday finally works and isn't giving me the previous (on v3.8) "...trying to access a Secure API" error. The weather feature isn't working yet due to the "Error: could not open tunnel - failed" problem which has been discussed in other posts.
-Reboots seem to take for FOREVER at ~3min. Not sure how long it took before on v3.8.

So I have hope when AT&T WS/Cingular releases their v4.0 OS for the 7290, some of our browser complaints might be resolved.

Keep in mind this is for a AT&T WS/Cingular 7290 so YMMV. So far for me, I give v4.0 a .
Old 02-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
vietsb

Quote:
This suggests to me that it is relying on your selection and the response it gives is likely based on the stock specs for the browser that you choose, not on any test...
That's a good observation and I can't deny it's a possibility. Since it's tied in w/ Verisign, I'd hope they would do a thorough check. Also, there exists low-encryption versions of the latest IE and Netscape based on export laws, so I'd think they wouldn't assume just because you say you're running a new IE or Netscape that it automagically always supports high-encryption.

Just my $.02.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:14 PM   #8
sharpycl

Curious... do you notice any problems during phone calls. I've heard from other members in the forum that the volume for the hong kong version seems to be a bit low, just wondering if your having that same trouble?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
vietsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpycl
Curious... do you notice any problems during phone calls. I've heard from other members in the forum that the volume for the hong kong version seems to be a bit low, just wondering if your having that same trouble?
I'm haven't started using BT - otherwise I probably wouldn't have switched to this version of 4.0. The volume when talking w/ the unit up to the ear is sadly just about as good/bad as before, meaning I usually need to have the volume at or near max. Background noise that others hear while I'm driving at freeway speeds (headset or no headset) is unchanged as well, so I'd say besides the BT volume issue, nothing else cellular-wise has changed.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:47 AM   #10
sharpycl

Cool... I'll give it a try. Thanx.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #11
vietsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpycl
Cool... I'll give it a try. Thanx.
Since I don't want to back-rev to v3.8, if you can look at my list above of some of the oddities I saw before/after the upgrade and can verify some of them for me, that would be great!

Good luck and let me know your results!
Old 02-20-2005, 11:23 AM   #12
sharpycl

After a couple of attempts at installing HK V4.0 and not being able too, I've decided not too.

The instructions that I followed were as follows:

1. Delete the vendor.XML file in the programfiles/research in motion/apploader directory. I looked, didn't have a apploader directory but had a blackberry directory. I looked into that folder and did not see a vendor.XML file to be renamed or deleted. So I proceeded onto the next step.

2. Install the application and try to load it through the app loader, but 4.0 did not show up in the list of applications, only 3.8. So I uninstalled and reinstalled, but still the same result. Unfortunately, their was nothing more that I can think of doing at this time.

I would still like to try, but didn't want to get to involved in trying to install something that could really mess up my BB. So i'll just relax and wait for AT&T 4.0 to come out.

Unless anyone has any suggestions. :D
Old 02-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #13
sharpycl

OK... its installed. What I've noticed so far:

-OS seems a little bit faster than before, there is no lag when selecting anything... yet.

-saw the enterprise activation icon on my home screen, won't need it since I am an individual user.

-all of my original programs were reloaded with no probs during install.

-just rebooted, only took me 5 seconds for reboot. Second reboot was apprx. 20 secs.

edited 2/21/05-Installed BBToday last night, and it works just fine on my blackberry, I had to set some APN settings, but everything works just fine for me.

-noticed no problems with network time.

edited 2/21/05-GPRS signal strength seems the same to me, have had a few phone calls since last night and voice sounds loud and clear, had no complaints from the caller.

-browser seems to be much faster.

Overall, first impression of HK 4.0 for an individual user is good. No complaints yet... it was a painless upgrade after I figured out what I needed to do. Only took me apprx. 30 min. Maybe less.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:04 AM   #14
vietsb

Thx for the feedback. My GPRS signal does still seem slightly higher, but the overall effect for data usage and cell phone calls is no different.

Can't wait to see what the real v4.0 had in store for us.
Closed Thread