Please Login to Remove!

YouTube - Reasons Why Storm 2 Is Better Than Storm 1
Old 09-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
bimmerd00d
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel

that guy might be the most annoying person i've ever heard....cool phone though.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

First off, I think the Gen 2 Storm looks very nice. I am a Storm lover and despite going through 3 warranty exchanges, the love affair continues.

But I must say this. I think it's pretty rotten that a Gen 2 model is release so soon. Many of us are chain to two year contracts and will have to pay full price if we want the new toy. As loyal users and evidently unwitting beta testers, we are getting a giant shaft, sanz lubrication.

Again, I love my Storm and I have run the gambit of beta OS builds in order to tweak my First Gen Storm.

Who here agrees with my notion that First Gen Storm owners with over a year of experience with their Storm should get substantial rebate on the purchase of a Second Gen Storm? Why the hell not?

Verizon 9530
Old 09-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

That's ridiculous. If you had known that the Storm 2 would be out, with WiFi, in 11 months (maybe), would you have not gotten your Storm 1 and waited? I would not have.

In fact, I predicted right here on this board, before the Storm 1 ever came out, that a Storm 2 would come out about a year after the first one, and that it would include WiFi. It's a no-brainer and should not be a surprise to anybody.

Verizon policy is that you can get a new phone, at the 2-year contract price, after you have had your current contract for 1 year. That's how I got my Storm 1 slightly less than 1 year after I had gotten a Pearl 8130. And that's how I will get my Storm 2, when it comes out.

New phones come out all the time. Unlike you, I'm glad they are improving so quickly. If you always want the latest and greatest, which you apparently do, since you have a Storm 1 and now appear to want a Storm 2, then you're going to have to pay for it. That's simple business. It doesn't matter whether you're talking about phones, cars, tennis shoes, TVs, or anything else. So, why whine about it?
Verizon 9550
Old 09-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Lightmatrix
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9330

Told.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just got a Tour, but that Storm 2 video has me really wanting a Storm 2 now. Tell those RIM guys to step on it will ya.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
nascarjk

im on my third warranty exchange with my storm... and i would never regret ever buying it 6 months ago after owning ever blackberry model since the first release of the pearl on tmobile years ago... one more exchange and by the lemon law they have to give me a different phone at the discounted rate... i think my storm might lock up and take a "crap" the same day the storm 2 is released... butttt its just a hunch
Old 09-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarjk View Post
im on my third warranty exchange with my storm... and i would never regret ever buying it 6 months ago after owning ever blackberry model since the first release of the pearl on tmobile years ago... one more exchange and by the lemon law they have to give me a different phone at the discounted rate... i think my storm might lock up and take a "crap" the same day the storm 2 is released... butttt its just a hunch
One word:

IMVROEWAC
Old 09-10-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
soxfan2009

Carrier: VZW

or the storm 2 could have all the same OS issues as storm1 did for the first 7 months before VZW does anything to fix it. I'll wait and see if there are issues and then decide if I want to upgrade. I've been lucky, only 1 warranty exchange and that was due to the OS (multiple spontaneous reboots a day). However, my BB button sometimes sticks now...
Old 09-10-2009, 06:12 AM   #10
soxfan2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Verizon policy is that you can get a new phone, at the 2-year contract price, after you have had your current contract for 1 year. That's how I got my Storm 1 slightly less than 1 year after I had gotten a Pearl 8130. And that's how I will get my Storm 2, when it comes out.
I've never heard of this before....how do you do this? I always get "you'll have to pay full price unless you have an eligible upgrade on one of your lines"
Old 09-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #11
soxfan2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarjk View Post
... i think my storm might lock up and take a "crap" the same day the storm 2 is released...
Please excuse my ignorance, but is there something that can be "done" to your storm to make it "appear" to need to be replaced? This could come in hand...
Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
OrangeBDS

Model: Alis2

Wow, I think this thread is heading in a bad direction.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
StuartV

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan2009 View Post
I've never heard of this before....how do you do this? I always get "you'll have to pay full price unless you have an eligible upgrade on one of your lines"
I found the documentation for it in the fine print on Verizon's website. But, to get my Storm, I just called Verizon and told them over the phone what I wanted to do. The first one or two Verizon reps I talked to did not seem to know about this. But eventually I got somebody who did and I upgraded from a 10-month old Pearl to a Storm last December, for the 2-year contract price. I even got the rebate they were offering applied instantly (no hassling with a mail-in rebate), so my Out The Door (so to speak) price was $199.
Verizon 9550
Old 09-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
StuartV

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan2009 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but is there something that can be "done" to your storm to make it "appear" to need to be replaced? This could come in hand...
If this line of thought continues, a moderator is going to lock this thread.

Besides, it's pointless. I'm sure they will have plenty of Storm 1's on hand, so, if yours needs to be replaced after the Storm 2 comes out, they'll just give you another Storm 1, not a Storm 2. At least, any time soon...
Verizon 9550
Old 09-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
pcerio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930

I don't think those that got the Storm last November are/were beta testers. They got the latest Blackberry offering from Verizon. If those phones had problems, Verizon replaced them. If you're contract allows yearly upgrades, then get Storm 2. Beyond that, I don't see how or why a Storm 1 owner's discount is warranted.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #16
soxfan2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I found the documentation for it in the fine print on Verizon's website. But, to get my Storm, I just called Verizon and told them over the phone what I wanted to do. The first one or two Verizon reps I talked to did not seem to know about this. But eventually I got somebody who did and I upgraded from a 10-month old Pearl to a Storm last December, for the 2-year contract price. I even got the rebate they were offering applied instantly (no hassling with a mail-in rebate), so my Out The Door (so to speak) price was $199.

Any idea where the "fine print" is? My wife has had an ENV2 for over 10 months and is wanting to move to a BB device.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #17
BruceDBR
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I don't know that it is actually in print anywhere, but I'm experiencing the same thing. I spoke with one of the managers at my local company-owned Verizon stores. He told me that November will make 1 year I'll have had my Storm 1, so he can give me the 2 year contract price at that time. I asked if that was the same as the "new every 2" and he said no.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #18
texasPI
Thumbs Must Hurt

One can also check their upgrade status through their online account. I'm too lazy to look it up but if you're on a one year contract you can upgrade at 10 months and if you're on 2 year contract you can upgrade at 20 months. For the primary line that is on a two year agreement you can upgrade at the one year mark and get the two year promo price. Not sure if you can opt for one year contract or if they hold you to upgrading to a two year agreement only when doing this early upgrade.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 AM   #19
soxfan2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasPI View Post
One can also check their upgrade status through their online account. I'm too lazy to look it up but if you're on a one year contract you can upgrade at 10 months and if you're on 2 year contract you can upgrade at 20 months. For the primary line that is on a two year agreement you can upgrade at the one year mark and get the two year promo price. Not sure if you can opt for one year contract or if they hold you to upgrading to a two year agreement only when doing this early upgrade.
I checked the upgrade status and it shows I'm not eligible on primary line. I don't think the online status reflects this "loop hole" does it? I doubt VZW would advertise that you could get a new phone after about a year at the 2 year price. I'd just like to know what to say when I go in and ask or call in and ask.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #20
texasPI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Seems like they changed the website a little. When you go into your account and select upgrade phone, it has the little progrees bar showing upgrade status for the new every two. Ignore that and select the phone number you want to upgrade and then click on show upgrade discounts. It'll then take you to a list of phones and it will say either month to month or two year agreement in the pull down menu on top of the list. Kind of convoluted I know. Up until a few weeks ago it would tell you for each line when you could upgrade with discounted pricing, as in a specific date.

Or, easy way is to call or go into the store and ask them when you're eligible for upgrade with discounted pricing.
Closed Thread