Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
smalls
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default VZ Navigator & Pearl 8130

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone with the Pearl subscribed to the VZ Navigator for $9.99/month? I just downloaded it today but haven't subscribed to it yet. The website said you can do a one-time use for $2.99 for 24 hours. My question is - is subscribing worth it or is sticking to BB Maps the way to go? I don't really use maps that much but that could change... And the other thing is what are the good features of using VZ Navigator aside from GPS?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:58 AM   #2
gaijindragonslayer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalls View Post
Anyone with the Pearl subscribed to the VZ Navigator for $9.99/month? I just downloaded it today but haven't subscribed to it yet. The website said you can do a one-time use for $2.99 for 24 hours. My question is - is subscribing worth it or is sticking to BB Maps the way to go? I don't really use maps that much but that could change... And the other thing is what are the good features of using VZ Navigator aside from GPS?
Well I have the 9.99 plan. Just as well as VZNavigator used from my home puts me sitting nearly half a mile away or across the road and round the bend!
If I go outside point my arm up like Lenin leading the 1917 revolution I can get it to locate me within 400 feet.

I don't think this is real GPS. I think they are using towers to triangulate. Seriously thinking of returning this phone and leaving VZ for good. I like the BB but not the service. VZ better shape up or I smell a law suite. There is no way in hell that the BB 8130 is using a clean GPS. Something stinks.

I've asked tech support for help. One Pearl was drained, the other could not load VZnav as the tecvh support did not know how to set it up. I helped her but then she couldn't get any signal. GREAT service.

I live in NYC and a GPS would be useful but if it is more than 10 minutes walk off then it can as good as asking a tourist where you are.

Last edited by gaijindragonslayer; 11-17-2007 at 12:59 AM..
Old 11-17-2007, 07:49 AM   #3
obeythelaw
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

i don't know. I haven't run into any issues using VZ Nav. It's almost as good as my Garmin. Accurate and fast and its not off by much of a distance as you near your location.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijindragonslayer View Post
I don't think this is real GPS. I think they are using towers to triangulate.
You think wrong.
The 8130 has a "real" satellite-based GPS receiver in it. It's not using tower triangulation.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
gaijindragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
You think wrong.
The 8130 has a "real" satellite-based GPS receiver in it. It's not using tower triangulation.
Well I'm more than happy to be totally wrong! Really. But I had use fo a little while of a Helio Ocean and its free GPS with Google maps had me correctly placed within 50ft. Not one error. That's what turned me on to GPS as it was damn useful. And it was correct inside concrete and steel buildings.
This is not.
I live in NYC downtown in the West Village and my VZnavigator is off way off a lot of the time. Since I got the 9.99 package and since it's been off, I have tested it on walks. Out of 40 attempts to locate myself it is only right within 300 ft; 10 times and one result that had me exactly at the location. All these tests were done outside, clear view of sky.

Any roof blocks the location and I am put at 1.5km away.

Using a window sometimes helps.

Maybe NYC is not covered that well by the service Verizon uses.

Still for basic phone/email/text they are the best.

Any ideas of what is wrong with my GPS?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Well I'm more than happy to be totally wrong! Really. But I had use fo a little while of a Helio Ocean and its free GPS with Google maps had me correctly placed within 50ft. Not one error. That's what turned me on to GPS as it was damn useful. And it was correct inside concrete and steel buildings.
This is not.
I live in NYC downtown in the West Village and my VZnavigator is off way off a lot of the time. Since I got the 9.99 package and since it's been off, I have tested it on walks. Out of 40 attempts to locate myself it is only right within 300 ft; 10 times and one result that had me exactly at the location. All these tests were done outside, clear view of sky.

Any roof blocks the location and I am put at 1.5km away.

Using a window sometimes helps.

Maybe NYC is not covered that well by the service Verizon uses.

Still for basic phone/email/text they are the best.

Any ideas of what is wrong with my GPS?
You might want to exchange your Pearl...could be something screwy w/the GPS unit.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
gaijindragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
You might want to exchange your Pearl...could be something screwy w/the GPS unit.
What kind of acceptable GPS standard should I expect?

For example stuck it out the window and got myself located across the square some 150 feet away about 1 minute away. Is that good? Inside I'm up to 3-10 minutes walk away.

Anyway I will go in and check. Problem is their 8130 does not have EZnav installed or enabled... but will do.

P.S.
Going to take a walk to the VZ store and line up for tech support there. Told my VZnav should be spot on but then they don't use a BB so ... I'd settle for 100 feet max.

Last edited by gaijindragonslayer; 11-17-2007 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Going to the store
Old 11-17-2007, 11:26 PM   #8
gaijindragonslayer

This is what I found (didn't make it to the VZ store):
Indoors GPS is not working unless right by window.. yet I still get a location, which must bew from towers as that explains the HUGE variables.
Snapshot find me is not as good as Follow Me which is freaking awesome as I walked around downtown NYC today doubling back and forth for 3 hours (shopping) and it kept track even when streets were close together.

So I'm keeping this one. Will go in and double check next week when I have time.

Also have read reviews of VZnav which make it clear that in NYC it is accurate to within a block or so. AT&T is worse by a fraction. The review pointed out that in NJ the GPS was razor sharp. Also pointed out that VZnav Pedestrian option is no different from by car. You can't walk against the flow of traffic. AT&T Telenav is much better in that regard.

Now if only we can put pressure on VZ to let those who have paid to activate GPS to be able to use Google maps or any app that works with GPS. I can't see why not? I have paid them their money.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
zippy1901

Model: 8830
Cool VZNav and voice prompts

Hey Everyone, are you all getting voice prompts with VZNav. I have my setting set properly and am not getting any audio prompts for upcoming turns. I haven't called support yet, thanks for your help.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:31 PM   #10
obeythelaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy1901 View Post
Hey Everyone, are you all getting voice prompts with VZNav. I have my setting set properly and am not getting any audio prompts for upcoming turns. I haven't called support yet, thanks for your help.
yes, i figured this one out on my own since tech support didn't have a clue. It's a permissions problem. Edit your permissions to "allow." That should do it.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
imprttuner88

my wife had quite the laugh at this post. She works for VZW in data tech support. She said since its inception she has had 0 calls complaining about VZ Navigator. Both of us use it alot and I have absolutely zero complaints. She has no sense of direction and used it to travel from NC to Savannah, GA and back without taking a single wrong turn. Interesting to hear of problems
Old 11-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #12
zippy1901

Model: 8830
Thumbs up VZNav and voice prompts

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
yes, i figured this one out on my own since tech support didn't have a clue. It's a permissions problem. Edit your permissions to "allow." That should do it.
Thanks a lot, that was it.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #13
obeythelaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy1901 View Post
Thanks a lot, that was it.
good to know that you have it working. it's unfortunate that the techs at verizon don't know much about blackberrys, especially the pearl. i waited a whole 2 days for someone from verizon to call me back. in the meantime i figured it out myself. even when the tech did call me back, he was telling me that he still didn't have a resolution. that's when i told him changed the permissions. he seemed dumbfounded. i hope that he is now armed with this knowledge in case someone calls up with the same issue.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #14
imprttuner88

glad you figured it out. I find it extremely usefull
Old 11-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #15
gaijindragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprttuner88 View Post
my wife had quite the laugh at this post. She works for VZW in data tech support. She said since its inception she has had 0 calls complaining about VZ Navigator. Both of us use it alot and I have absolutely zero complaints. She has no sense of direction and used it to travel from NC to Savannah, GA and back without taking a single wrong turn. Interesting to hear of problems
Well good you had a laugh. Really useful post. Guess some BB users are as idiotic as Apple customers.

I live in NYC you're review of no issues does not count. Reviews of VZnav have all said that out of city use is very, very good. They did not see the one block or more off in City use as being a problem either. But I do.

However if you had not been so smug you'd have read that Follow Me works very well in NYC. Just the Find Me does not. Just that indoors it does not work. Just that indoors there is no GPS in my block. Just that the maps leave off major streets in NYC. But then you live where?

the 8130 is very new, not all owners have VZnav, not all of them live in NYC..

Again, I posted that Follow Me works like a charm if you don't mind not knowing you're on say Spring Street.. major cross street in NYC.

So thanks for the advice. Is your wife typical of VZ, laughing at customers? She's who I help pay for? Nice very nice. Last time I had Verizon techs laughing at me I had the now head of Verzion call me at 8:30 regarding my ADSL, to fix it, not laugh at my problems... being an investor really helps.

Though I should not need to use Investor Relations. Your wife/VZ should be interested in why just one customer has a problem with a service they pay for. Shame on her and you for your big mouth.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #16
amsolo

Model: 9550
Default my story of the day

Quote:
So thanks for the advice. Is your wife typical of VZ, laughing at customers? She's who I help pay for? Nice very nice. Last time I had Verizon techs laughing at me I had the now head of Verzion call me at 8:30 regarding my ADSL, to fix it, not laugh at my problems... being an investor really helps.
Well, I got off with VZ tech this morning - total of 3 hours. The guy wouldn't pass me up the next level till after 2 hours. It was an LED problem (he didn't even know what an LED was). BB tech couldn't figure it out either.

But anyway, after he passed me to BB tech he (VZ tech) was still on line listening in. When he got bored, he finally said he was cutting off line. He then (without realizing) proceeded to start talking to VZ tech next to him (he was talking to her during the 2 hour ordeal also).

HE SAID "that guy's an a-hole". I said "Hey Verizon man, your still on line". He never replied.

How's that for customer service?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
gaijindragonslayer

Default Must be Crackberry support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsolo View Post
Well, I got off with VZ tech this morning - total of 3 hours. The guy wouldn't pass me up the next level till after 2 hours. It was an LED problem (he didn't even know what an LED was). BB tech couldn't figure it out either.

But anyway, after he passed me to BB tech he (VZ tech) was still on line listening in. When he got bored, he finally said he was cutting off line. He then (without realizing) proceeded to start talking to VZ tech next to him (he was talking to her during the 2 hour ordeal also).

HE SAID "that guy's an a-hole". I said "Hey Verizon man, your still on line". He never replied.

How's that for customer service?
Probably the cousin of the chuckling man's laughing wife. Seems like Verizon has an attitude problem.

I have a potential law suite for them:
VZnavigator website says it is possible to send a "place message" to other Verizon customers and if they have VZnav they can get voice directions as well from their GPS position!
One problem there is no option I can find in "message" as suggested or in VZnav as suggested by the sales rep who sold me the 8130. Indeed he sounded quite annoyed I had the temerity to want a fully functioning VZnav for 9.99! Why I should be pleased if the GPS lights up.

Fact is not one rep on the phone or at the store told me that the VZnav would not offer all features for a BB.

Helio offers across the board GPS for all apps, photos and even through walls.
Shame their support sucks.

However my advice to anyone who is treated badly by VZ is to take their names and go and call Verizon HQ Executive Customer Care. If you're a shareholder it's much easier. See if they laugh at you after that. Then tell them you're leaving.

I'm meeting with my arrogant sales rep this afternoon.

By the way I'm more than happy to be proved wrong about the "place message". Means I have a function that I thought was missing. Saying sorry costs nothing and it's something VZ reps and laughing data support should learn fast. 2 years from now and a new spectrum opens up and VZ cannot control it. VZ went to court to stop the auction, claiming we need quality control. So far VZnav can't take a signal with a newspaper over your head, or place you within 500 feet in NYC, though follow me works well. Now you can't send location info to workers or friends. If i'm wrong I'll be very happy.

I've initiated the first part of my complaint. VZ insists on contracts, it works both ways and suggesting I drop VZnav is not an option. They offer service, it should be provided or give me a discount.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #18
redhandeddenial
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: vzw
Thumbs down

Quote:
Well good you had a laugh. Really useful post. Guess some BB users are as idiotic as Apple customers.

I live in NYC you're review of no issues does not count. Reviews of VZnav have all said that out of city use is very, very good. They did not see the one block or more off in City use as being a problem either. But I do.

However if you had not been so smug you'd have read that Follow Me works very well in NYC. Just the Find Me does not. Just that indoors it does not work. Just that indoors there is no GPS in my block. Just that the maps leave off major streets in NYC. But then you live where?

the 8130 is very new, not all owners have VZnav, not all of them live in NYC..

Again, I posted that Follow Me works like a charm if you don't mind not knowing you're on say Spring Street.. major cross street in NYC.

Though I should not need to use Investor Relations. Your wife/VZ should be interested in why just one customer has a problem with a service they pay for. Shame on her and you for your big mouth.

Shame on YOUR big mouth. Verizon landline (telephone, ADSL) and verizon wireless are two separate companies. sot your talking to investor relations will not help unless you own stock in both companies.

so next time you wanna swing around the fact that you own stock, make sure you are talking about the same company.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #19
gaijindragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandeddenial View Post
Shame on YOUR big mouth. Verizon landline (telephone, ADSL) and verizon wireless are two separate companies. sot your talking to investor relations will not help unless you own stock in both companies.

so next time you wanna swing around the fact that you own stock, make sure you are talking about the same company.
You are an idiot if I have to spell it out for you. Verizon wireless different from Verizon?... you are a fool... Do I have to put caveats in every post?

Thanks again idiot for not reading my posts; I now want to know how to send a "place message" to another Verizon phone as advertised on the VZnavigator site... as you are stupid: I don't mean a Verizon land line phone but you know a cell phone. NOW do you understand?

Ask your laughing wife for me. I've not got one Verizon BB tech support who knows how to do it. So a virtual sloppy kiss to you if you can at least offer some help.

Last edited by gaijindragonslayer; 11-20-2007 at 02:38 PM..
Old 11-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #20
redhandeddenial
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: vzw

Quote:
You are an idiot if I have to spell it out for you. Verizon wireless different from Verizon?... you are a fool... Do I have to put caveats in every post?

Thanks again idiot for not reading my posts; I now want to know how to send a "place message" to another Verizon phone as advertised on the VZnavigator site... as you are stupid: I don't mean a Verizon land line phone but you know a cell phone. NOW do you understand?

Ask your laughing wife for me. I've not got one Verizon BB tech support who knows how to do it. So a virtual sloppy kiss to you if you can at least offer some help.

i wasnt insinuating from a landline phone, simply stating that complaining to your Investor relations would not do any good. verizon owns PART of verizon wireless, but no where near a majority. Vodaphone holds 51% of Verizon Wireless.

Now to your present question.... to send a place message...as far as i can see you cant. this is a new version of the software on a different system. on my lg there is an option on the main menu called "messages" this simply does not exist on my pearl.

the next time you feel need to call names you can find the answers for yourself
Closed Thread