Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
SBacklin

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default BES Use on Storm 2

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone. New to these forums. I just got my Storm 2 today with Verizon Wireless. I have my own email/domain with GoDaddy and subscribe to their Hosted Exchange service. I do know that BES is required for use of that on a Blackberry.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, I was under the assumption that email, contacts, calendar would be synced between Storm 2, Exchanger Server, Outlook (at home). I got my email working on the Storm 2. However, I still cannot seem to get any of the current emails in any of the folders on the Exchange server to show up on my Storm 2.

I came from the iPhone and was using my Exchange account on it. Any emails would be synced that were in any of the folders, contacts added/changed on either side would sync across to the other, etc. What am I missing here to get that wireless syncing going on, on my Blackberry?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBacklin View Post
I do know that BES is required for use of that on a Blackberry.
Not sure where you got that idea... but it's not correct.
BES is not a requirement. (Well, based on what you're looking for in the rest of your post... you need BES.) Not all Storm2 users will need it.

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong but, I was under the assumption that email, contacts, calendar would be synced between Storm 2, Exchanger Server, Outlook (at home).
You're sorta wrong. Without BES, only email is wirelessly delivered. (It doesn't sync... it's delivered and reconciled.) Other PIM functions will sync with Outook via USB cable and BlackBerry Desktop Software.

Quote:
I got my email working on the Storm 2. However, I still cannot seem to get any of the current emails in any of the folders on the Exchange server to show up on my Storm 2.
They never will. The BlackBerry simply doesn't work like that. Only new mail will be delivered to your Storm.

Quote:
I came from the iPhone and was using my Exchange account on it. Any emails would be synced that were in any of the folders, contacts added/changed on either side would sync across to the other, etc. What am I missing here to get that wireless syncing going on, on my Blackberry?
You're used to ActiveSync, which is not available for the BlackBerry.
You're trying to compare apples and berries here.

BlackBerry devices do not sync mail, ever. Messages are wirelessly pushed to the handheld and then reconciled with the desktop messaging system. Reconciliation features are dependent on the email provider and how they integrate with whichever BlackBerry platform (BES/BIS) you choose.

Last edited by penguin3107; 10-28-2009 at 06:38 PM..
Old 10-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
SBacklin

LOL, sorry, I didn't mean that all Storm 2 people will need it. I said it would be required because I do utilize Exchange.

As for the rest. I guess it something I have to get used to. LOL
Old 10-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
hcheun
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Hey everyone. New to these forums. I just got my Storm 2 today with Verizon Wireless. I have my own email/domain with GoDaddy and subscribe to their Hosted Exchange service. I do know that BES is required for use of that on a Blackberry.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, I was under the assumption that email, contacts, calendar would be synced between Storm 2, Exchanger Server, Outlook (at home). I got my email working on the Storm 2. However, I still cannot seem to get any of the current emails in any of the folders on the Exchange server to show up on my Storm 2.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

You'll be required to add the "blackberry" hosting service as well if they have it. I've set this up many of times for other clients/users.

If you want what the iphone did when it was connected , then you will need to add the "blackberry" hosting service, if your host provider offers it.

Hopes this clarifies, right out of the box, don't expect exchange services to work, unless you do this!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
SBacklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcheun View Post
You'll be required to add the "blackberry" hosting service as well if they have it. I've set this up many of times for other clients/users.

If you want what the iphone did when it was connected , then you will need to add the "blackberry" hosting service, if your host provider offers it.

Hopes this clarifies, right out of the box, don't expect exchange services to work, unless you do this!
I should contact GoDaddy and ask them about "Blackberry Hosting"? Assuming they do, it will provide the functionality that I'm used to?
I apologize but, now I'm totally confused. One person pretty much says, this isn't going to work. You say it will. I was under the impression that one could wireless sync contacts, email and calendar with an Exchange account.

Last edited by SBacklin; 10-28-2009 at 08:32 PM..
Old 10-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
SBacklin

Well, I got the Calendar, Contacts to sync via wireless. I'm still confused about the emails on the exchange server.

I have different folders to hold different saved emails, for example, emails regarding the Blackberry are saved in the "Blackberry" folder. I was able to sync the folders I would assume through the USB connection, however, I still cannot view any emails that are in those folders.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
I have different folders to hold different saved emails, for example, emails regarding the Blackberry are saved in the "Blackberry" folder. I was able to sync the folders I would assume through the USB connection, however, I still cannot view any emails that are in those folders.
Like I mentioned earlier... you can't.
BlackBerry devices do NOT SYNC email... ever.

If you're not on BES (which I don't think you are), you'll only have access to newly delivered messages from the time you set up your device.
You can't view old messages, and you can't view any messages stored in subfolders.

How are you getting contacts and calendar to sync wirelessly? You said earlier you weren't on BES.
Are you now on BES? I'm confused.

Last edited by penguin3107; 10-28-2009 at 09:58 PM..
Old 10-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
SBacklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Like I mentioned earlier... you can't.
BlackBerry devices do NOT SYNC email... ever.

If you're not on BES (which I don't think you are), you'll only have access to newly delivered messages from the time you set up your device.
You can't view old messages, and you can't view any messages stored in subfolders.
Well, I did have to setup Enterprise Activation. I have my own domain and an Exchange account with GoDaddy.
Going by what you're saying though, if I'm not on BES and got myself on BES, I would be able to sync email...?
Also, would BES be required to sync contacts/calendar in real-time via wireless?

Last edited by SBacklin; 10-28-2009 at 10:00 PM..
Old 10-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

OK... if you did an enterprise activation, then you're on BES.
At least that part is clear.

Since you're on BES, you should have wireless sync of calendar, contacts, memos and tasks.

Again, BlackBerry Devices DO NOT SYNC MAIL... ever. You're not understanding that part

Messages are wirelessly pushed to your handheld and then reconciled.
Your email should also have two-way message reconciliation, however the details of what you can/can't do with subfolders and old messages depends largely on what version of BES you're activated on.

Is there any way you can find out from your hosting provider what version of BES they offer?

Assuming it's at least BES 4.1.6, you should be able to do a remote search from your handheld to view any messages in your Exchange mailbox, provided that you set up all of the subfolders for redirection to the handheld.

Last edited by penguin3107; 10-28-2009 at 10:05 PM..
Old 10-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
Andyn

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T / Verizon

Moot point for me as I am on a BES. My Storm 2 is on a FedEx plane enroute to Memphis then here by 1030 tomorrow morning courtesy of VZW.

www.twitter.com/SgtAndyNorris
Old 10-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
SBacklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
OK... if you did an enterprise activation, then you're on BES.
At least that part is clear.

Since you're on BES, you should have wireless sync of calendar, contacts, memos and tasks.

Again, BlackBerry Devices DO NOT SYNC MAIL... ever. You're not understanding that part

Messages are wirelessly pushed to your handheld and then reconciled.
Your email should also have two-way message reconciliation, however the details of what you can/can't do with subfolders and old messages depends largely on what version of BES you're activated on.

Is there any way you can find out from your hosting provider what version of BES they offer?

Assuming it's at least BES 4.1.6, you should be able to do a remote search from your handheld to view any messages in your Exchange mailbox, provided that you set up all of the subfolders for redirection to the handheld.
I apologize for being so dense about this. I'm relatively new to BBs. Anyway, when you are talking about my "provider" are yous talking about VZW since I had to sign up with enterprise service with VZW or my exchange provider...GoDaddy?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
SBacklin

Maybe I should get this thread moved to the BES Admin section? LOL, sorry.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
StuartV

Carrier: Verizon

SBacklin,

For what you want, you need to have 2 things: You need to have BlackBerry Enterprise Services on your Verizon account. This is normally $45 per month - as opposed to $30 a month for Verizon's BlackBerry Internet Services option. THEN, you also need BlackBerry Enterprise Services on your GoDaddy account.

It sounds like you have both of those things already, if you succeeded in doing an Enterprise Activation on your phone.

Once you're activated on the GoDaddy BES, your phone will wireless Over The Air sync your Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Tasks. And you will get Direct Push of your email with reconciliation.

Regarding email, what that means is, all new incoming email will get delivered to your phone (and your Outlook Inbox). If you read a message in either place, it will show as Read in the other location within a minute or two (normally). If you delete a message in either place (and by delete, I really mean move it to the Deleted Items folder), it will be deleted in the other place within a minute or two. If you send an email from your BlackBerry, you will see a copy of it in the Sent Items folder in Outlook immediately.

What you WON'T get is all the emails that were already in your Inbox (before you activated on the BES) showing up on your BlackBerry. That's why it's not a "synchronization". It's Push and Reconcile.

Disclaimer: All of the above is somewhat simplified. There are numerous options that can be set in different places that would change some of the behaviors I described.
Verizon 9550
Old 10-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
SBacklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
SBacklin,

For what you want, you need to have 2 things: You need to have BlackBerry Enterprise Services on your Verizon account. This is normally $45 per month - as opposed to $30 a month for Verizon's BlackBerry Internet Services option. THEN, you also need BlackBerry Enterprise Services on your GoDaddy account.

It sounds like you have both of those things already, if you succeeded in doing an Enterprise Activation on your phone.

Once you're activated on the GoDaddy BES, your phone will wireless Over The Air sync your Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Tasks. And you will get Direct Push of your email with reconciliation.

Regarding email, what that means is, all new incoming email will get delivered to your phone (and your Outlook Inbox). If you read a message in either place, it will show as Read in the other location within a minute or two (normally). If you delete a message in either place (and by delete, I really mean move it to the Deleted Items folder), it will be deleted in the other place within a minute or two. If you send an email from your BlackBerry, you will see a copy of it in the Sent Items folder in Outlook immediately.

What you WON'T get is all the emails that were already in your Inbox (before you activated on the BES) showing up on your BlackBerry. That's why it's not a "synchronization". It's Push and Reconcile.

Disclaimer: All of the above is somewhat simplified. There are numerous options that can be set in different places that would change some of the behaviors I described.
I appreciate the info. I honestly didn't realize there would be such a big change coming from ActiveSync. Its okay though. Maybe someday RIM would change its software to allow access to past emails and the ability to have true email sync. The change from iPhone to Storm 2 will take some getting used to. LOL

Out of curiosity though, what are some of the options that can be set in different places that would change some of the behaviors you described?

Last edited by SBacklin; 10-29-2009 at 09:03 AM..
Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

SBacklin,

You may have figured this out already, but a simple solution to get mail that was in Exchange before your device got set up is to send it to yourself.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #16
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

SBacklin,

You can search your mailbox for older messages depending on the version of BES you're running.

Messages > Menu Key > Search
Change Search Type from Local to Remote
Then put your search criteria and it will search your mailbox.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Closed Thread